illico TV New Generation - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 199 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 11:49 AM
Rookie

Videotron team-up with Samsung to launch new HD set-top box and PVR for illico. News here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 199 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 12:53 PM

A little "bird" I had a chat with last night detailed several of the issues with the roll-out of what was supposed to be the new generation.

After several years of development they needed to push something out, they were not able to get the system stable as they wanted to deliver it, this has gone on now for nearly 2 years. The Cisco boxes which were to be the middle boxes, capable of running both sets of software were not up to par. Plans were changed and the direction was changed how they should best deploy it.

Starting with the guide, new features will be rolled out to those running the newer hardware, but beyond that, it may require a move to the Samsung box. No word on if/when an upgrade path for owners of Cisco boxes will be provided.

I take no responsibility for said "bird". Take it with a grain of salt.
post #33 of 199 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 12:57 PM

We will soon find out as they are supposed to start implementing in Quebec City and Saguenay region starting next week. During the press conference they stated that the Cisco 8642hd and 4642HD were Ready for Illico II and that the customers in these regions could benefit as soon as next week (April 4th?).

Samsung HL-S7178, Panasonic TCP50ST50, OPPO DV-981HD, PS3 40gb, Onkyo TX-SR674, Videotron 8642HD PVR, Harmony One

post #34 of 199 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooze View Post
Videotron team-up with Samsung to launch new HD set-top box and PVR for illico. News here
Looks like Samsung is aggressively undercutting Cisco's prices in the US.
There are rumors circulating that Cisco is even considering getting out of the set top box racket altogether.

Details in this article
post #35 of 199 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 03:33 PM

I bought the old Scientific Atlanta 8300HD terminal less than 4 years ago for $600. Then came the Cisco terminals and now Samsung.

If there is any element of truth to Nitra's post, I will be super POed if Videotron doesn't offer some kind of exchange plan. Most users I know have a PVR and up to two cable boxes. That $800+ before taxes... pretty steep of an upgrade.
post #36 of 199 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 03:41 PM

That's part of the reason for this staged deployment.
post #37 of 199 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac View Post
I bought the old Scientific Atlanta 8300HD terminal less than 4 years ago for $600. Then came the Cisco terminals and now Samsung.

If there is any element of truth to Nitra's post, I will be super POed if Videotron doesn't offer some kind of exchange plan. Most users I know have a PVR and up to two cable boxes. That $800+ before taxes... pretty steep of an upgrade.
They probably won`t offer you anything because (as they said :-( ) the older equipment will still work under Illico I.

Samsung HL-S7178, Panasonic TCP50ST50, OPPO DV-981HD, PS3 40gb, Onkyo TX-SR674, Videotron 8642HD PVR, Harmony One
post #38 of 199 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Alticast's tru2way software used by Videotron to provide the Next Generation in Interactive TV

Quote:
Based on Alticast's tru2way® software, this innovative solution will provide Videotron subscribers with exciting applications including: Digital Video Recorder (DVR) functionality, Video-on-Demand, Electronic Program Guide, Pay-Per-View, Caller ID, Weather and the ability for the subscriber to choose their own entertainment package. The platform also provides the capability to add additional capabilities as they become available
Full article available here

tru2way website
post #39 of 199 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 04:26 PM

@Gillest
That's BS because I can see them eventually phasing out support for Illico 1, forcing us to upgrade to the "lastest and greatest."

Not only that, Bell Fibe is still offering a whole home PVR for free to new customers. Videotron finally seems to be on board with this feature and if it is exclusive to new equipment, it would make sense to make the equipment as accessible to its clientele as possible, no?
post #40 of 199 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 04:44 PM

expressmoria - thanks for the links to the articles. They mentioned Tru2way often during the conferences yesterday.
post #41 of 199 (permalink) Old 2012-04-04, 01:15 PM

I am in Montreal. I called and the automated response tells me I am set for migration within 72 hours after April 26th.

I spoke with a tech today at Videotron and he said that as of today they are being told that migrations outside of Quebec region could start as early as April 26th.
post #42 of 199 (permalink) Old 2012-04-04, 01:22 PM

Rainey,

What number did you call to get the automated response ?

Thanks !

Sharp LC-70LE640U /Yamaha RX-V373 / Explorer 8642HD / PS3 Fat upgraded to 320 Gb
post #43 of 199 (permalink) Old 2012-04-04, 02:22 PM

This is the link

http://support.videotron.com/residen.../faq-illico-ng

As of April 4, 2012, you can also visit the illico TV new generation section of our Customer Centre at videotron.com/newgeneration or dial 1-877-477-1754.
post #44 of 199 (permalink) Old 2012-04-04, 02:32 PM

Thanks !

Just called 1-877-477-1754 and was told my region (Gatineau) is not available yet.

The tech rep tried adding me from the "backend" without success.

Sharp LC-70LE640U /Yamaha RX-V373 / Explorer 8642HD / PS3 Fat upgraded to 320 Gb
post #45 of 199 (permalink) Old 2012-04-05, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainey View Post
This is the link

http://support.videotron.com/residen.../faq-illico-ng

As of April 4, 2012, you can also visit the illico TV new generation section of our Customer Centre at videotron.com/newgeneration or dial 1-877-477-1754.
Thanks for the link rainey.

By the way, I had a look at the FAQ and came across this one.
I guess the external hard drive has been forgotten by this upgrade

Quote:
Are the recordings on my external hard drive compatible with illico TV new generation?

No.

We do not recommend that you use an external hard drive with the terminals.
If you have an external hard drive connected to your terminal, you will be unable to use it with illico TV new generation.
As a result, recordings on your external hard drive will be unavailable following the upgrade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in