Do i need to activate a 8300hd to watch its content - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-30, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Do i need to activate a 8300hd to watch its content

Hi all!

Here is my situation:
I have a 8300HD receiver (let's call it "A") , activated and in good shape, 80% full of programs to watch.
I want to buy another used 8300HD (I will refer to this one as "B"), that I would NOT activate.

I want to put "A"'s hard drive in "B" receiver.
I want to put a 500Gb HD in "A" (I have a Seagate IDE)

I know "A" will be blank after I put the new hard drive and that is fine.

BUT : What I don't know for sure, is about "B".
Will I need to activate "B" in order to watch its content ?

I don't want to pay for two receiver, I will only record and watch TV from one...

Sorry for the long post, I tried to summarize as I could...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-30, 03:49 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The drive from "A" will not work in "B" with the content viewable, activated or inactivated. The contect is "tied" to the PVR where it was recorded. You could use "B" once it's activated, but the drive will probably be "formatted" when activated and your content (programmes) will be gone.

The programmes can only be viewed on the PVR where they were recorded.

I'm assuming that Videotron charge for a second STB? Rogers do not. Also, the purchased PVR must be from Videotron and not from "outside".

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35032

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-30, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your answer.
That was fast !!!

And yes, Videotron charges for a second STB. Uncool...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-30, 05:33 PM

When a PVR has been unplugged from cable, you have 30 days to watch the hard disk's content before the terminal locks itself, which allows you to bring your PVR on vacation and watch your recorded shows without the need for cable. But if the terminal has received it's deactivation signal before being unplugged, well, it's locked and there's nothing you can do.

So, perform the test with your "B" receiver: plug only the power and the HDMI/component cables to your TV, do NOT plug the cable in! If you don't see the "not authorized" after a minute, press the power button and you'll have access to its content. Otherwise, you'll need to activate it.

In TV world, november, february and may are ratings month, so a lot of shows have new episodes, so in order to move the hard disk from A to B, you better plan it.

CM-3020 with CM-7777
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-30, 06:34 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
cm3020prob: You seem to have missed the part in my post which states that the recordings are tied to the PVR where they are recorded, so, although you can move the disk, you will not be able to watch the recordings. At least that's how it works on Rogers.

The OP is certainly free to move the disk, but be prepared to either not see the programming, or perhaps lose the programming.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-31, 10:42 AM

Oh, I misread, I found it weird that OP wanted to buy a used "B" terminal and watch its content before moving the HDD from A to B. Didn't make any sense...

CM-3020 with CM-7777
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-31, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Finally it sounds a bit complicated...
All I wanted was to cut costs by 1) avoiding the monthly cost of a second STB 2)using an unactivated STB.
As #2 seems impossible over a period of 30 days, it will be useless for my needs.
I didn't know it could become LOCKED after some time.
I thought I could just keep on using it forever as a stand-alone, unactivated device.

I will probably end up activating (and paying for) two receivers.

Thanks very much to all.
You helped me understand how acutely those service providers have made out their plan.
And I so naively thought I could get away with my precious dollar bills safe in my pockets...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2012-01-31, 06:47 PM

Unfortunately, if you need more HDD space, you need to either replace the 8300's IDE hard disk to 500 Gb, and add an external 1 Tb SATA hard drive, which is unreliable... or buy a 8642 terminal (350$ at Costco) and sell your 8300. The 8642 comes with an internal SATA 500 Gb drive that you can upgrade to, I think, 2 Tb.

The 8642 will get a new interface (illico 2) in the next few months with multi-room capabilities.

CM-3020 with CM-7777

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in