Basic cable only has 3 or 4 channels - is that normal ? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-09-19, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Basic cable only has 3 or 4 channels - is that normal ?

Hi guys,

I had videotron installed today, and on a TV with NO Illico box, I only get a couple of channels.

I get CBC, CTV, and 2 more French channels.

I am a bit puzzled, the guy at Vidoetron told me there are a lot of basic channels that you can get without the Illico box.

I have the TV connected to the "cable in" coax connection on the back of the Tv, and that cable goes to the wall.

I was switching from channels on the TV using the "channels " up and down button. I don't see any other channels.

Anyone know why that is ? thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-09-19, 08:19 PM

Go into your tv menu and find a section where it will search for channels. Auto Setup or Channel setup. It will do a scan and should show a lot more channels.
Your tv may be skipping over channels.
What happens if you press in a channel # instead of up or down?

I have a photographic memory, trouble is most times the lens cap is on.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-09-19, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Hi talljak Thanks ! you solved the problem !

I have totally forgotten how to use cable, I've been with STarchoice for over 10 years and had totally forgotten to do that, or that you could. I checked another TV, and it had a lot of channels, too many to count.

Thank you very much !

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-10-20, 03:54 PM

A really cheesy thing with Videotron is if you have digital they make you pretty much pay for each channel individually, while if you have classic cable, no box, you get like 65 channels included. Makes little sense to me.

So if like me you have 35 channels, + movies package + super channels etc... chances are you are still missing out on a lot of channels that are available if you just disconnect or bypass your box and plug the cable directly into your TV.

While I pay a premium for lets say CNN or Fox or NBC so that I can have it as part of my digital service through my box, it is available on classic cable through the method above. Personally, I don't think it's worth a dollar a month just to have them on my guide, but if you want them in HD it's the only way to go. Also, Videotron's signal is pretty week these days and splitting your signal could cause you problems as it does for me with digital/HD service.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-10-20, 04:37 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
chances are you are still missing out on a lot of channels that are available if you just disconnect or bypass your box and plug the cable directly into your TV.
That's only because they haven't bothered to do a truck run to install a filter - hoping that you may eventually subscribe to the additional channels. After a while, they usually install a filter and you only get the lower set of channels. This also happens when a new person moves into a home/apartment where the previous owner/tenant subscribed to more than the most basic package. If the new person subscribes only to the most basic package, then they will usually see additional channels for a while, but then a filter is installed and they lose them.

As discussed in the following thread, this will all be in the past soon as cable providers are going all or mostly digital:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=143167

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-10-20, 05:19 PM

Is it possible your TV is on "TV" or "Antenna" mode instead of "Cable" mode? If on TV/Antenna mode, it will only see the VHF channels 2-13. 14 and up will be invisible.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-10-20, 05:25 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The OP's problem was solved, as per post 3. Post 4 actually was OT, but I thought I'd respond.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-10-20, 07:47 PM

Erydan, if you have 30+ digital channels, basic analogue cable is free and Videotron will happily replace your splitters for free, to restore your weak signal. Just give them a call, or have them check your signal strength remotely.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-10-25, 08:05 AM

Just by the way, Videotron has been removing analogue channels over the past year. On my non-Illico TV I'm missing at least 10 channels that I used to get. The same is true for my parents and grand mother (all in separate areas, using basic cable on their TVs). Pretty much most of the channels above 27 are missing now.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 04:08 PM

Quote:
That's only because they haven't bothered to do a truck run to install a filter - hoping that you may eventually subscribe to the additional channels. After a while, they usually install a filter and you only get the lower set of channels. This also happens when a new person moves into a home/apartment where the previous owner/tenant subscribed to more than the most basic package. If the new person subscribes only to the most basic package, then they will usually see additional channels for a while, but then a filter is installed and they lose them.
You are right, I stand corrected. I was over at the new place today to set up the bypass and hardly any basic cable channels were available. Sucks cuz at the old place which, is just across the street, I still have all the old basic cable channels available..
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-10-28, 03:08 PM

Reasons why you could lose analog channels:

1) You haven't perform an autoprogram on your TV set.
2) You haven't set your TV to "cable"
3) Your digital or analog tv package doesn't allow you to access analog Telemax so a filter has been installed. Same for internet-only or phone-only subscribers.
4) A filter that shouldn't be there has been installed on your line. Call STC.
5) Some analog channels have been removed permanently (which is the case for Hull-Gatineau).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in