Recording Illico on PC - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Recording Illico on PC

so I'm looking into building a new pc which I would like to be able to watch my cable television. Right now in my room I have nothing but a cable wire. I live in Montreal and am a Videotron (Illico) digital cable subscriber. I would like to run the digital cable feed into my computer where (I don't know which programs would allow me to do this) watch television and record shows. I have found some TV Tuner Cards online but have no idea which to pick. I was also reading about how some won't allow for protected feeds to run (is Videotron protected?) I would really appreciate some input and advice on picking software and hardware to do this. Also, if need be, I have no problem buying a HD illico terminal to plug the cable into and using an HDMI cable to run from the terminal to my PC (I want to watch/record in HD).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 03:13 PM
Member #1

The best advice is to just buy the HD PVR.

See 57's FAQ and stickies in Rogers and HT FAQ forum on how to go about recording HD and you'll quickly realize that HD PVR is the way to go.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 03:15 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's the Sticky covering the topic in the Rogers forum - this also holds for Videotron. There's a link to the Recording HD FAQ in that sticky and there are also several threads in the HTPC forum here on using an HTPC. The channels are encrypted, so you cannot record (or watch) HD or digital directly, you need a STB and appropriate connections to the HTPC. This is not for the "technically challenged" - it's mostly done by the "technically gifted".

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50162

Here's a useful post for newbies - please read:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I would buy the HD PVR to run and HDMI cable to my computer but not for recording, I want to watch and record on my computer.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 03:57 PM
Member #1

Read stuff from 57 plus threads in htpc forum and you'll have your answers.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

why wouldnt the Hauppauge HD-PVR work?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 05:34 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
It would and there's a link to the HTPC thread on it in the Recording HD FAQ. It requires a STB, a subscription to the channels you want to receive, component video and audio connections from the STB to the Hauppauge, an IPG of some sort on the PC, an IR connection from the PC to control the STB, suitable PC hardware and software, etc. If you wish to discuss the Hauppauge, read the thread(s) first and if you've got any questions ask them in one of the existing thread(s). Direct links below:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=87729

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=133318

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Tags
high definition , illico , record , television viewing , tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in