Frequent freezes on playback (new IHD) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-06-09, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Frequent freezes on playback (new IHD)

Hi,

I recently changed my Internal HD on my 8300HD. I had it for almost 2 year. every recording would freeze and stutter almost constantly (it slowly "developped" in the last few weeks). Rewinding the recording wouldn't help. My IHD demise might have been facilitated with all the issues I had with my eHD (probably because of Videotron's firmware changes).

Anyway, I'm quickly explaining it in case it might help with my newest issue.

So, I picked up a new iHD (a WD5000AAKB) and, following this forum's instructions, proceeded to the change without any issues.

My unit works fine but I'm experiencing problems with playback again.

On pretty much every recordings, there are "freezes" of the image and sound for a couple of seconds. Then it comes back to normal. it sometimes happen once per hour, sometime more.

If I rewind the program, the section plays just fine. So, this doesn't seem to be a recording issue but a playback issue.

The day before I change the HD, I had called Videotron and, he remotely checked the signals; he told me it was fine.

Should I worry about it? What could I check?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-06-09, 10:58 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
You may have purchased a new HDD with problems. You could try taking it out, formatting it on a computer and then reinstalling.

A few years back I purchased a new eHDD and it had problems. There have been similar reports in the (Rogers) eHDD thread where people have purchased new drives that didn't work well. If that's the case, take the drive back to where you purchased it for an exchange.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok, I will return it.

Should formatting the drive on a PC be necessary or should the PVR format be technically sufficient? I want to keep it as simple as possible...

What are the chances that this might be an hardware issue? I never had a bad hard drive before. But, being a simple "plug & play" kind of guy, I may just never realized that my PC drives might not have been in perfect condition...

Anyway, I'm asking about the hardware because, if the next drive has an issue, I'll need to call Videotron... I didn't buy the extended warranty because, here in Quebec, we have the "legal warranty" that says goods should work for a "reasonnable" time. 22 months is hardly that for an over $500 toy!

If it's the hard drive, I don't want to waste my time arguing (even if it lasted less time than other users of this forum). Still, if the hardware might be an issue, the picture is different.

After all, at this point, I paid more buying it than I would have renting it.

Next time, I know what I'll do...

Thanks for the help.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-06-11, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok, so, swapped the iHD again... Same thing happens.

I did a cold reboot and recorded on another channel; same issue...

Now, even though the drives might have been from the same "batch", I doubt I would be "lucky" enough to fall on 2 bad drives...

Can this post be transferred on the Rogers forum, in case more people happen to see it? I don't want to simply redo the same post and look like I'm spamming the forum...

Does the drive being empty something to consider? I rerad some post where people said some issues were disapearing once the drive was filled to a certain %.

Thanks
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-06-14, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Had a talk with Videotron and they finally agreed that, even though I didn't buy an extended warranty, it isn't normal to have to change the hard drive after less than 2 year and, on top of that, continue to experience issues...

So, in the spirit of good faith, they agreed to let me benefit from what they offer new customers, namely a 24 month free rental of their new PVR.

Still, if anyone has an idea to resolve the issue I have, it would be welcome; I am stuck with a new HDD that I put inside and, if the machine was working correctly, I could, at the very least, offer it to my dad.

I just don't need that IDE drive...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in