Videotron to launch new illico TV ecosystem in 2011, er 2012? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-03-10, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Videotron to launch new illico TV ecosystem in 2011, er 2012?

Form the recent press release :

Quote:
Montréal, March 9, 2011 — Speaking at a Journée Infopresse conference on the new television landscape, Manon Brouillette, Executive Vice President, Strategy and Marketing, Videotron, confirmed Videotron’s determination to remain an industry leader and gave an overview of the Company’s innovation roadmap. With the launch of its new, optimized illico TV ecosystem featuring a string of innovations, Videotron will soon be offering its customers the most advanced multi-screen experience in Canada.

Simplified, customized, harmonized product
The technologically advanced illico service that Videotron will introduce later this year will offer user interfaces that are fast, intuitive, effective and fun. Managing recordings will be easier, with an automated sorting capability by program genre or type. The video on demand menu will be enhanced with the addition of a much more advanced search engine and simplified navigation.

“The evolution of illico will provide our customers with a new, customized television experience,” said Manon Brouillette. “illico TV will boast optimized navigation and a new look, while still carrying the largest selection of triple-screen content, French-language content and high-definition content, all in an open-ended environment. illico TV will continue to support pause-and-resume on three screens, an innovation introduced by Videotron in late 2010, in a new navigation environment that is perfectly harmonized with the other platforms, namely illico web and illico mobile.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-03-10, 04:45 PM
Rookie

Sounds very promising. Im excited!
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-03-10, 05:08 PM
Member #1

What is the point of this press release.

Later this year and lots of flowery language but no specifics.

Is Bell Fibe starting to impact Videotron?

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-03-10, 09:30 PM

In before they end up using Time Warner Navigator. *psst like that'll ever happen*

Seriously cannot wait to see what they have up their sleeves. Maybe they could share it with Rogers too if its good. I just hope its not as sluggish as SaskTel Mediaroom
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-03-10, 11:26 PM

Quote:
open-ended environment
What exactly is that? I expect it means more bells and whistles and less choice. I really doubt we will see any open(-ended) hardware. Or will they put Illico TV on all their cell phones and allow their cell phones to control Illico TV? They better bump their caps if they expect people to do that.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-03-11, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Here is my humorous interpretation of this press release:

Quote:
illico TV will boast optimized navigation and a new look
It has come to our attention that Bell Expressvu and Bell Fibe offer better hardware and navigation GUI so we should at least try to offer something similar or as a minimum a new SARA version that our customers can help debug.

Quote:
While still carrying the largest selection of triple-screen content, French-language content and high-definition content
We are a regional player with demographics that are different from Bell. As long as we keep them happy with the exiting SD and HD content there is should be no reason to expand our offerings. Additional HD channels from ROC and US will cost us extra license fees and will eat away our hefty margins.

Quote:
The illico TV experience will be powerfully supported by Videotron’s fibre optic/coax network, recognized for 10 years as the most reliable in the industry
Recently we have a new player in our backyard (Bell Fibe) who is offering similar reliable services with ala-carte channel selection so we better remind people how good we used to be so maybe they can forget about switching services any time soon.

Quote:
Our cutting-edge, robust network will give our customers across Québec access to the latest technology
Hey who knows, we may even have something for our Gatineau customers who we have been charging the same fees as Montreal will limited offerings.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-03-13, 11:48 PM

The fun part is that all those features are only offered on the new PVRs and those with the SA8300HD will have to buy new equipement to be able to use them.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-03-14, 12:00 AM

Actually the current hardware is capable of a lot more. I mean look at the guide or the search functions. They should start working there. But I think it is not our end that is the issue but the head-end. I imagine the hardware there is not flexible at all.

Imagine if Tivo was given free-reign over Illico hardware and software!
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-03-14, 08:31 PM

I would be really happy if third party manufacturers would be allowed to offer their hardware to Videotron customers. If there were some competition, Videotron couldn't get away with selling obsolete boxes for 500$.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-10-29, 11:29 AM

Any news on when this will launch? I just spoke with Videotron and they are now saying 2012! They did however mention that we will be able to program the new illico into our existing terminals and not be required to purchase new equipment. If they make us buy new hardware more people will flock to Bell with their free hardware offerings.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-10-29, 01:32 PM

Quote:
existing terminals
I doubt they would be compatible with all models. They deployed Pace models for a while too and I have seen lots of 8000, 8300 2000, 2200 in operation still. Perhaps the ones they are selling/renting now which are the latest generation,

8642HD
4642HD
Plus an SD model I can't ID (1540 I think).
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-11-02, 04:00 PM

They confirmed on their facebook page, not coming this year.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra View Post
They confirmed on their facebook page, not coming this year.
I did not see anything on the Videotron website press release section.

@ nitra can you confirm what their Facebook page said?

On another note did anyone notice that their new slogan is "The infinite power of people".
I guess the old one about the infinite power of cable is no longer valid since their obsolete coax technology has severe limitations and is very finite...
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 02:21 PM

Yes I noticed their new "phrase" and we know what that means. More money and time will be spent on the mobile division.
I checked facebook and cannot find anything about the new illico either.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expressmoria View Post
I did not see anything on the Videotron website press release section.

@ nitra can you confirm what their Facebook page said?

On another note did anyone notice that their new slogan is "The infinite power of people".
I guess the old one about the infinite power of cable is no longer valid since their obsolete coax technology has severe limitations and is very finite...
www.*************/illico?sk=wall&filter=1
At the top of the illico page, you need to show posts by Everyone.

Scroll to the comment and reply by Fernand Labranche
As well as, Regis Holstein

"illico Hello Fernand.We're currently working on various solutions to free up some bandwidth space so that we can offer new HD channels in a few months.

Regarding illico TV New Generation, we have decided to extend our field tests to make sure the service meets the highest standards of quality and performance.
Have a great day!"

And,
"illico Bonjour Regis. Comme vous le savez, nos équipes travaillent depuis de nombreux mois à développer le nouvel univers d’illico télé : illico télé nouvelle génération. Nous sommes conscients de l’attente suscitée par cette évolution technologique; cependant, afin d'atteindre des niveaux de qualité et de performance maximum, nous avons décidé de prolonger notre période de tests. Ceci est fait dans le but de pouvoir vous offrir la meilleure expérience télé.

Concernant l'ajout des chaînes HD manquantes à Gatineau, le lancement est prévu d'ici la fin de l'année. NOus vous revenons avec plus d'infos sous peu. Bonne journée!"

Notice that they also changed the timeframe for new channels to "Months"
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in