Videotron to launch new illico TV ecosystem in 2011, er 2012? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-12-07, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

As Fonceur mentioned the so called “ecosystem” is the next generation of the illico TV application. Not sure what Videotron is calling it internally.

Videotron is playing catch-up to Bell Fibe TV and need to release at least an equivalent TV functionality to keep customers from migrating to Bell next year.

At this time it is probably just an alpha or beta minus release not yet ready to be unleashed to the unsuspecting masses.
Once they have mitigated most of the bugs they will release whatever beta plus is deemed good enough and try to fix the rest in production with firmware updates.
When in 2012 will this happen only Videotron project management knows for sure.

Will this new system allow for extra bandwidth to handle more HD content? It is not clear at this time.

If extra HD content is available will it include more English channels? Also not clear.

2012 starts in a couple of weeks so will see what happens from January to December.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 12:08 PM

I noticed that there is a thread stating that Rogers has released their new "whole room pvr" and are now upgrading their system. They have the Cisco boxes like videotron. Does anyone know if that might mean the upgrade is close for Videotron customers?
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-02-17, 04:04 PM

Question Any news concerning Illico 2?

This thread is titled "Videotron to launch new illico TV ecosystem in 2011". We are now mid Feb 2012 and no news or hints as to when we can expect Illico 2 to be offered...

Does anyone have any (I mean recent...) insights?? Has this been abandoned by Videotron?.

Thanks,

Samsung HL-S7178, Panasonic TCP50ST50, OPPO DV-981HD, PS3 40gb, Onkyo TX-SR674, Videotron 8642HD PVR, Harmony One

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-02-18, 08:56 AM

Last I heard was not before April. It is being tested and is still in the beta stages.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-02-18, 09:26 AM

Given what's happening over in RogersLand, that may be a good thing. ;-)

...jim

Toshiba 42HDX82, SA8300HD (HDMI->DVI), Yamaha HTR-5440 (Optical), Samsung BD-P3600 (Component)
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-02-20, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

You can read a review of Time Warner's Whole House DVR from this link

Reviewing Time Warner’s ‘Whole House DVR’: Evolutionary, Not Revolutionary
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-03-15, 12:34 PM

Just saw this twitter announcement.
"Le président @Videotron a annoncé qu'il dévoilerait le 27 mars les détails du lancement de illico télé Nouvelle Génération!"

I don't want to get too excited but maybe it is finally here and just in time. I am seeing new Bell Fibe ads on TV so Videotron needs to stay competitive.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-03-16, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainey View Post
Just saw this twitter announcement.
"Le président @Videotron a annoncé qu'il dévoilerait le 27 mars les détails du lancement de illico télé Nouvelle Génération!"
I saw this announcement as well.

I have been following the Rogers thread on Nextbox 2.0 since the Videotron implementation will be the same.

At this time it appears that older equipment like Scientific Atlanta HD PVR and the Pace HD boxes will not be compatible, only the newer Cisco hardware will be able to take advantage of the whole home DVR features. Also a technician will need to come to your house to make the necessary installation adjustments such as additional filters etc.
The new on screen guide upgrade has also received negative reviews from most Rogers posters.

Now if someone has older hardware do they stay with Videotron and upgrade their boxes to work with Illico Next Generation or consider switching to Bell Fibe?

I will wait and see if Videotron will offer any incentives to existing customers or add more HD English channels before I make my next move.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-03-16, 06:53 PM

post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-03-16, 07:26 PM

Location: Montreal Videotron(8642,4642), Netflix, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360 x2, PS3
Quote:
What: Videotron is pleased to invite the media to a press conference on Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at which it will draw back the curtain to reveal the vision of the architects behind illico TV: The New Generation, a new experience designed by Quebecers for Quebecers.
Interesting to see the "by quebecers for quebecers quote" It will be interesting to see if it vastly different from the Rogers solution.

Wii Code: 0050 5044 3338 1179
gamertag: ratovan
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-03-16, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Wow it took a whole year from the original press release for Illico Nex Generation to see the light of day. Hope it will be worth the wait.

Whole home DVR is using moca technology like Rogers, Time Warner and other cable companies are using so not sure what Videotron is trying to say by the statement "designed by Quebecers for Quebecers".
French flavored moca?
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-03-20, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

New thread started to discuss illico TV Next Generation

Link here
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in