Videotron to launch new illico TV ecosystem in 2011, er 2012? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-11-06, 09:56 AM

One way they could free up some bandwidth for HD is by scrapping those so-called "superstations" that they force you to take in a bundle if you merely want TCM. There's absolutely nothing "super" about them. Not even useful for timeshifting (although, if you have a PVR, that is pretty much a non-issue). These stations show nothing but junk. Infomercials, ad-nauseum repeats of stuff like Two and a Half Men, just garbage. I actually pity the folks in LA, Chicago, New York, and Boston where they are located.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-11-06, 11:07 AM

Those superstations really don't use much bandwidth, had they been HD, then you might be on to to something.
What's killing it right now is overall network capacity, old analog channels take up entirely too much room.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-11-06, 11:53 AM

Quote:
old analog channels take up entirely too much room
I don't think that is still true. Since late September nearly all analog channels were removed in the Gatineau area. I assume it was province wide. Or at least in the larger population centres.

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-11-06, 05:21 PM

It was in Gatineau, not in the rest at least yet.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-11-06, 05:23 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
According to this thread, it's only select areas:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=143167

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-11-06, 05:51 PM

I stand corrected. I assume other areas will follow quickly. All these extra STB fees must be starting to add up.

Quote:
You will be charged a fee of $4.05 for two terminals, or a fee of $6.08 for three or more terminals.
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-11-06, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I assume other areas will follow quickly.
Not really, Gatineau only has a 750 MHz network, while most of the other locations are at 1GHz... That's why they were lacking even more HD channels than the other areas.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-11-10, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

From today's article in the Montreal Gazette the "improved digital service" will be offered next year.

Quote:
Fibe TV, which delivers considerably more features than Videotron's current service, is now available to 1.5 million homes in Montreal and Toronto.
Next year, Videotron will unveil an improved digital cable service, which is expected to rival Fibe TV.
Not sure how they plan to rival Fibe TV unless their HD channel offerings jumps significantly and their illico cable boxes have more features compared to Bell.

12 more months of wait for those of you still around to experience these improvements...
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-11-11, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the article in the Gazette. I spoke again with Videotron yesterday and they do claim that the new system will be more than competitive with Bell. But it is the lack of HD English stations that still bothers me. I believe the technology will happen...eventually and it will be good but not sure their English offerings will be anywhere near Bell.
Videotron has better customer service, better internet they just need to get back in the TV game.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-11-13, 05:23 PM
Rookie

it is my first exprerience with illico, and let me say, it is the worst GUI i ever ever seen., a lot of work for them that way.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-11-19, 06:21 PM
Member #1

several off topic posts removed. This thread is about the new Videotron ecoystem not fibe tv

post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-12-06, 07:38 PM

Sent an email to Videotron today to see if there was any update on the launch and this is the response email I got:
"Thank you for your interest in our digital service and for having taken the time to write us about the new equipment.
This equipment is not presently available and we have no information concerning its future availability.
We have forwarded your request to our marketing department so that your name is added to the list of clients also interested in this equipment.
Thank you for your understanding.
"

What do we think this means....testing not going well maybe.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-12-07, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Another form letter used by Videotron to quickly deflect questions and requests from subscribers. Not even sure if your question was properly understood in the first place.

Just substitute the word “equipment” with “HD channel” or “service” and you are bound to get the same automated CSR response as the one you received.

Videotron already made the mistake of issuing a press release back in March hoping to have their illico update up and running in 2011. This is no longer the case and based on the latest info available something may be released during 2012.

What exactly this will be your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited by 57; 2011-12-07 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-12-07, 12:59 PM

Pardon the technology illiterate here.

What exactly do they mean by new ecosystem? At this point, I want nothing more than more English HD channels. In fact, I just need that several specific HD channels are available, including time shifts. Will the new system give us that?

Just check out my posts. I have been itching to move to Bell (Fibe or satellite) and may do that in January. But if Videotron can satisfy my needs, I will stay.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-12-07, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules130 View Post
In fact, I just need that several specific HD channels are available, including time shifts. Will the new system give us that?
Nope, this is about a new box/software, nothing to do with extra channels...
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in