Videotron 2011 New Channels Discussion - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-09-02, 06:14 PM
Rookie

Say Can anyone tell me if CTV Two is on the Videotron cable, and what number it has?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-09-03, 10:35 AM

CTV Two is only available in Outaouais areas.
Analog cable: channel 6
Illico: channel 12. Not yet distributed in high-definition.

You can find the core of their daytime and primetime programming on ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, The CW, and repeated on MuchMusic and Space.
post #93 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-09-06, 05:57 PM

Have wrote them to ask for Space HD too. They replied that it was not avaialble at this time, but that it was important that subscribers like us tell them when we are interested in a newservice. More people asking for something is always a good way to get it.

Well, hope is not yet taxed, so let's do it to the fullest.

post #94 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-09-13, 01:16 AM
Rookie

TVA Sports now ON...

TVA Sports made its debut today, no problem for Videotron to find bandwidth for that!!!

Oh Well... At least lots more people will watch this than Metro14...
post #95 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-10-11, 09:36 AM

Any news whether they will be adding HGTV HD and Food HGTV?
post #96 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-10-11, 11:47 AM

Location: Cisco 8642HD-Sony KDL60NX810-Denon AVR-890-Paradigm 7.1-PS3s-XboX360s-HDA2-BDT-310 3D-BDP-CX960-ATV2
Metro 14 finally has Supernatural in HD! been waiting for years for that show to be in High Def. (for Videotron subscribers of course)
post #97 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 01:02 PM

Seems they are adding Casa HD in December. I guess I should not hold out for any new English HD stations. I really think come 2012 I will be heading to Bell Fibe.
post #98 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-10-16, 01:58 PM

Much as I really hate the idea of moving to BHell, I think if something doesn't change in the next few months I'm going to jump ship as well.

We are living in HD times, currently BHell Satellite and Fibe have more than 25 more HD Anglo channels when comparing to Videotron.
The video quality at Videotron has been suffering the last few months, and it's getting worse almost daily, even my HD video is grainy and obviously poorly compressed.

I feel that if I'm going to pay for service, I should get the service that I'm paying for. I get that Illico 2.0 is in the works, and it has been for a long time, based on history, I'm really not sure that once it goes live we're going to get the missing content. I will hold the course with some hope until January.

I've called in 3 times the last 2 weeks because of poor sim-subbing, fortunately each time I've called they've fixed it in under 2 minutes, but this just adds to the frustration.
post #99 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-10-16, 03:36 PM
Rookie

I used to be with videotron but since a few months now i am with bell fibe....and i got no regret....
equipment is faster and picture quality is amazing on my 52 inch Sony Lcd...

can't live without

hgtv hd
much hd
klta5 hd
wpix hd
hln hd
cnn hd
amc hd
hbo 1 and 2 hd
tmn 3 hd
discovery hd ( 2 channels)
space hd
history hd
etc....

so many hd channels and they add some month after month
post #100 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 09:18 AM

Videotron vs. Bell Fibe

I also talked to videotron in the last couple of weeks and they said that they are trying to negotiate with channel providers. Supposedly they will only get new HD channels when existing SD contracts are finished. Well my patience is waring pretty thin. I will give them several months in the new year and then I start making arragements for Bell Fibe.
post #101 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 09:29 AM

FWIW as of this date Bell Fibe isn't available in my west end of Montreal island.
post #102 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 09:33 AM

What I can not get my head around is they are losing people every week just in my area. At last 5 people I know have switched to BellFibe. Yet, they don't seem to care that much and just tell us to keep waiting. I give them until summer 2012 and if they still have not bothered trying to keep their customers by adding HD stations and better equipment I am gone.
post #103 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzarella View Post
I also talked to videotron in the last couple of weeks and they said that they are trying to negotiate with channel providers. Supposedly they will only get new HD channels when existing SD contracts are finished. Well my patience is waring pretty thin. I will give them several months in the new year and then I start making arragements for Bell Fibe.
Like most posters of this thread I have also written many times to videotron requesting additional HD channels. My requests have been quite specific to add the HD versions of channels they already carry as SD.

The response above is news to me and appears to be yet another stalling tactic the CSRs were told to use to dismiss these types of requests.

Like Hugh posted previously Bell Fibe is not even using fibre optics to carry all these HD channels to their customers and is just relying on good old copper wires installed during the last century to carry TV, Internet and Phone signals. I always thought coax cable was more capable but it does not appear to be the case.

No matter, I will continue to write to them with my requests and hopefully will see another HD channel or two of interest sooner rather than later.
post #104 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 07:27 PM

@expressmoria: the difference between Bell Fibe and Videotron is the amount of data passing throught the wire.

Bell Fibe is sending you only the channel(s) your terminal(s) is/are tuned in + your internet traffic, which are shared together with an analog voice line. So, Bell brings all available channels to the nearby CO, and everytime you change channels on your terminal, the server is sending the requested channel and remove the one you were watching. You are in theory sharing 25 Mbps of video data with your internet, but on the other hand, they can provide 200, 500 or 1000 new HD channels, it won't matter.

Vidéotron is sending analog channels, internet channels and digital channels on the same wire at different frequencies, but each area (cell) has a maximum limit of frequencies that can be used, which is why Vidéotron needs to bring the fiber closer to the neighbourhood to allow more frequencies. Your terminal just know which channel is located at which frequency, and when in doubt (or unusual services like video on demand), it will ask the server.

Recently, less popular channels are being sent only if you tune in, which free up frequencies that can be re-used to send more HD channels. Unfortunately, they ain't using the full potential of technology at their disposition and the network is full, and you have to wait until they remove some analog channels to get more new channels.

Bell and Videotron are old monopolistic companies that thinks you're a customer for life who will happily pay everytime there's a service price increase and will understand the limitations.
post #105 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-10-20, 11:57 AM

@cm3020prob thanks for this information.

Based on Bell’s technical situation using the existing infrastructure they are able to deliver content tailored to each subscriber.

Bell Fibe will always have the advantage over Videotron who has to deal with a coax pipe full of all their content and incapable of offering more without removing analog junk channels or yet another costly update to their obsolete system.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in