Videotron 2011 New Channels Discussion - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-08-01, 07:17 PM

For what it's worth, I just wrote them asking if they intend to offer Space HD anytime soon. I have no illusions that I'll get anything back over and above the standard form letter response others here have gotten. Rather, I did it because if more us followed suit, they might actually take notice and add it to the grid. It has happened before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 12:44 AM

I`ll send them a note requesting SpaceHD every week or so.
post #78 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 01:30 PM

I also just sent them an e-mail asking about availability of Space HD.

post #79 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-08-09, 03:04 PM

That's the way to do it , thank you all.
post #80 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-08-30, 04:13 PM

Super Écran

I see from Wikepedia that they will be adding SE 3 & 4 in HD in September. I wonder when they will be doing it for TMN with Excess and Fun? How about Space etc. Looks like we will be getting Metro in HD soon though. I wonder how many people requested that one.
post #81 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-08-30, 09:56 PM

Metro 14 HD (CJNT) is now available on channel 614
post #82 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 12:06 AM
Rookie

Another Videotron Brainfart...

Metro 14 HD??? Really?

This is ridiculous. Probably some BS about having to prioritize "local" channels... Like there's anything "local" on Metro 14, or HD for that matter (apart from american shows)...

What a waste of Bandwidth. As soon as FIBE is available here.....
post #83 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 09:49 PM

Local channel are pretty much must carry. As for Metro 14, they are showing us some US shows from the CW that we wouldn't have otherwise in HD. I am all for any channels that gives us HD we can't get anywhere else.
post #84 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmtl06 View Post
As for Metro 14, tehy are showing us some US shows from teh CW that we wouldn't have otherwise in HD.
Nice, if we can get Supernatural, Nikita and so on in HD...
post #85 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur
Nice, if we can get Supernatural, Nikita and so on in HD...
Going off topic, but Metro 14 will air these CW shows: Hart of Dixie, Secret Circle, and Supernatural. Also, Chuck from NBC in october. Nikita and Vampire Diaries are heading to CTV Two that we don't get, and 90210 on Netflix only.

Back on topic, since the flash-cut to digital happening a midnight, Vidéotron is replacing the high-definition SRC, TVA and V sources by the local ones, notably in Rivière-du-Loup, Chicoutimi and Gatineau.
post #86 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 01:56 PM

Metro 14 HD

Here is my e-mail to them regarding them choosing Metro 14 for a HD channel followed by their response. Since they can't justify their decision we can expect TacTV in HD real soon.

My e-mail basicly asked how they could justify the choice of Metro 14 in HD when all the people on bulletin boards are requesting HD service for other analogue channels they already carry that are available in HD. I added that I have never seen ANYONE request Metro 14 in HD.

Their response

Merci d'avoir pris le temps de nous écrire.
Nous ne pouvons justifier le choix de nos postes HD.Toutes les compagnies de câblodistribution qui offrent le numérique ont une limitation au niveau du nombre de canaux qu'ils peuvent offrir puisqu'ils doivent concilier leur service avec les disponibilités sur leur bande passante. De nouvelles chaînes font régulièrement leur apparition. Les câblodistributeurs ont l'avantage de pouvoir vous offrir une gamme de produits plus innovateurs que par un signal en direct du satellite, en plus d'offrir plus de stabilité à la réception du signal.
Nous devons toutefois faire face à certaines restrictions au niveau du choix des canaux disponibles. Aussi, les services et besoins ne sont pas les mêmes d'une région à l'autre. Les demandes d'ajout de canaux doivent correspondre à l'intérêt réel de notre clientèle.
Nous vous remercions de votre compréhension. N'hésitez pas à nous contacter de nouveau pour tout autre renseignement pouvant vous être utile. Notre équipe du service à la clientèle se fera un plaisir de vous répondre dans les plus brefs délais.
post #87 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 02:44 PM

@Mozzarella: It's not about any amount of subscriber request, it's about PRIORITY. A local channel have priority over any requested specialty.

On the other hand, Vidéotron should add CHRO-DT-43 (CTV Two) in Gatineau network, but they claim their network is too full. Better off say they haven't spent money in upgrading the network to 1Ghz in the last 2 years when it became a necessity.
post #88 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 04:20 PM

Metro 14 HD

Well in any GOOD business requests are the priority. In this case I doubt very much that the CRTC has imposed these types of decisions. They did not even make an effort to answering my e-mail in a manner that would be customer friendly. All they said was we can't justify our choice and the rest was copy/paste garbage.
post #89 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 07:29 PM

@Mozzarella: Guess we'll agree to disagree, but a local product is priority, otherwise TVA would have shut down all of their local TVA stations (Sherbrooke, Saguenay, 3-Riv) a while ago and opt to deliver a national TVA feed on Vidéotron. Metro 14 HD is broadcasting freely over the air on UHF 49 in Montreal, I don't think it would be fair for them to get a NO from Vidéotron so their subscribers would instead get Toronto channels. There's also a reason why we have "made in Quebec" products at Wal-Mart.
post #90 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-09-02, 02:26 PM

It's my understanding that Vidéotron has to carry Metro 14 HD if it begins broadcasting in HD over-the-air if it is in the reach of the stations signal. If it has room to carry it of course, which it does. So, it's not just about Vidéotron wanting to give priority to local channels because they feel as though they want to support local stations or whatever reason like that, Vidéotron is carrying it because they have to because it is a CRTC rule. So, those areas outside of Montreal where Metro 14's signal doesn't reach, Vidéotron doesn't have to carry it and if they are carrying it, it is because they choose to carry it.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in