Videotron 2011 New Channels Discussion - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-06-27, 06:21 PM
Rookie

Where did NBA TV go?

tsn2 is on both 681 & 686
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-06-27, 06:23 PM
Rookie

Ok its back on now
post #63 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-06-28, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzarella View Post

Translation - Screw you, we are keeping our bandwidth for our French clientele and our new Quebecor channels.
Rule of thumb:

If you are interested in having the biggest selection of French HD channels keep Videotron.
On the other hand you are interested in the biggest selection of English HD channels switch to Bell.

Do not expect Videotron to give you the same English HD selection as Bell any time soon. They do not cater to the same audience demographics.

post #64 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-06-28, 01:32 PM

Bell vs Videotron

Originally posted by expressmoria

Quote:
Do not expect Videotron to give you the same English HD selection as Bell any time soon. They do not cater to the same audience demographics.
I know they do not cater to the same demographics, however their biggest client base is still metro Montreal and if the English and Allophone community start switching to Bell Fibe they will start to feel the pressure. I do not think they can afford to ignore or marginalize this client base.
post #65 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-06-28, 02:21 PM

Agreed 100%... if the island of Montreal slowly starts to switch Bell/Vibe... Videotron will go out of its way to profess its love for the Anglo community.

Besides, its funny (am being sarcastic) that new French HD channels are "free" with my package yet the good English ones need to be purchased.

Cheers, K
post #66 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-06-28, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I know they do not cater to the same demographics, however their biggest client base is still metro Montreal and if the English and Allophone community start switching to Bell Fibe they will start to feel the pressure. I do not think they can afford to ignore or marginalize this client base.
Montreal metro encompass all the out of the island suburbs and they are all served by videotron, population wise, it's about 50/50 between the island of montreal (1.9m) and the rest of the metro area. (3.8 total metro)

Language wise, it's 67% of the metro area which speaks french at home (english 16.5%), so the market is clearly biased towards french speakers and it's normal, and the downside is probably even less than that considering the amount of people in the west island/tmr/westmount (where most anglophones lives) that rely on dish rather than cable due to higher english programming content.
post #67 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-06-29, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expressmoria View Post
Rule of thumb:

If you are interested in having the biggest selection of French HD channels keep Videotron.
On the other hand you are interested in the biggest selection of English HD channels switch to Bell.

I agree with you completely. With Bell Fibe, once it is widely available, its temptation is very hard to resist. My current problem with switching to Bell right now is that I need to invest in 3 boxes for my 3 TVs. As two of my TVs are still CRT, their HD boxes are certainly over the top for my TV. As well, I will need to get rid of my Videotron boxes.

However, from a business perspective, is it wise for Videotron to abandon their anglophone and English-allophone clients? Or is it maybe that that market is small enough that the invesment needed to serve that market is bigger than the loss of such market to Bell?
post #68 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-06-29, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by WestAust

Quote:
Language wise, it's 67% of the metro area which speaks french at home (english 16.5%), so the market is clearly biased towards french speakers and it's normal, and the downside is probably even less than that considering the amount of people in the west island/tmr/westmount (where most anglophones lives) that rely on dish rather than cable due to higher english programming content.
Your forgetting that most greeks, italians, hispanics etc. speak three languages and probably listen to more english tv than french tv. I know it makes sense that Videotron caters to their french clientel but I would not be ignoring 33 % of my market.

Another issue is the arm flexing between Bell and Videotron. These folks don't like each other (ça joue dur dans le coins) and they seem to be spending time money and energy trying to screw each other. Bell does not want to pay for the SUN channel and I am sure Videotron will not be giving any breaks to the BELL channles such as Space HD. It would seem to me that Videotron is filling their grid with the cheapest channels they can get their hands on. Can anyone explain why we get CITY TV HD on our grid? Or why we have to CTV channels, one in Ottawa and one in Montreal with 99 % of the programming the same. Maybe if the CRTC would allow foreign cable providers these folks would sharpen up.
post #69 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-07-21, 03:58 PM

Space HD

As most of you probably know Space HD is now available, I wrote a letter to videotron to ask when the channel would be available, of course I got the usual response, to make it short, they will send it to they're programming dept. and it depends how many people ask for it.
So if you're interested for space HD please send them an e-mail and maybe we get it this fall.

Thanks
post #70 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 10:11 AM

Bell's 'Achilles heel' is inconsistant customer/technical support. So sadly, Fibe will not increase competition with Videotron all that much. To recover ex-subscribers, Bell would have to offer all three services for free for a year, so that the 'burnt ex-subscribers' could truly evaluate improvement in Bell's support. It is an issue of trust, not economics, nor technology, and Videotron subscribers will happily continue paying more per month for reliable support.
post #71 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-07-23, 10:20 AM

I agree that it is customer service that keeps me with Videotron. As a anglophone I know I would have a better selection with Bell at a competive price. However, my services never go down and when I do have issues they are able to fix the problem remotely none of this we have to send you a tech. Today I called customer satisfaction to complain that I am paying more for the same package Bell offers and they gave me a hefty discount on both Internet and Cable. That is what I call service.
post #72 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-07-24, 10:36 AM

Just curious Rainey, did you negociate with Videotron in French or English? I bet the 'switch to Bell threat' is more credible if you speak to them in English!
post #73 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-07-26, 02:55 PM
Jay

I got a great rebate + free PVR for 2 years from Vidéotron after telling them I was going with Bell, in french!
post #74 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-07-28, 09:06 AM

I negotiated in English. I guess they are worried about losing people to Bell; and I am sure they are losing people!
post #75 of 164 (permalink) Old 2011-07-29, 08:59 AM

The 'over the phone' Bell offers for me would amount to 35$ less/month or 27% of my total bill including taxes. But DSL services are mediocre at best in this neighbourhood; high latency and slow throughput. The Bell CSR told me 'that internet is supplied by fiber cable, but not TV yet'! The white/beige Fibe Op cable is visible on my outside pole, but I wonder how this possible?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in