Getting a second illico terminal - Splitters - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-11-08, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Getting a second illico terminal - Splitters

Hi
My Videotron currently has a 3-way splitter (1 in, 3 out):
1-Videotron phone
2-Videotron internet
3-Videotron illico

I want to get a second illico terminal for the basement. Do I just replace the 1 in / 3 out by a 1/4 splitter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-11-08, 12:57 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
That's not the way it's usually done if you have phone and internet. The internet should usually be the first split (own splitter) and the phone/cable signals on the next splitter.

Videotron will probably do this properly and also test signal strength since once you've got this many splits you could end up with issues on one or more of your connections.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-11-08, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply

That's odd, it's Videotron that did this install a year ago (all working fine).

I checked again... yes, one coax from outside, into a 1-3 splitter.

I guess I'll have them come over for the 2nd terminal then.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-11-08, 10:20 AM
Veteran

the 1-3 splitter you see is probably an unbalanced splitter, one leg has a stronger signal, for your modem, while the others are lesser signal, its exactly the same as putting a 2-way splitter at the main line, and splitting one leg with another 2-way splitter, just less wires.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-11-08, 12:41 PM

Paola is correct about the -3.5 leg on the 3-way splitter. The exact configuration is not set in stone though and it depends on your incoming signal strength. I was having signal level issues and the tech decided to shuffle things around. They also put locks on the splitter so unless you have the keyed wrench you cannot remove them yourself.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-11-11, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Makes sense, thanks
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-11-17, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
That's not the way it's usually done if you have phone and internet. The internet should usually be the first split (own splitter) and the phone/cable signals on the next splitter.
When the tech did the install for me, first splitter was for my tv and the internet and phone.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-01-16, 09:45 PM

I suggest you call the tech and they'll install a better splitter and make sure, as it's been said, that the signal is strong enough.

At first, I only had TV (2 digital + 3 analog) and the tech installed a regular splitter (1 in, 4 out) plus another splitter (1 from the first splitter became 1 digital + 1 analog only).

When I also switched for phone + internet, he installed a powered splitter and since then the signal is incredible even with analog. They did not charge me anything to do that, and their work is guaranteed. Those splitters costs more than $50 so why pay for this yourself?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in