Videotron Cisco 4642HD & 8642HD now available - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2010-11-18, 08:03 PM

Quote:
The promo by the way is for any customer who doesn't have an HD terminal
Ah ha! I knew there was a catch. OK show of hands, how many people posting here do NOT have HD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2010-11-20, 09:36 AM

The french page says:

L'offre est valide seulement si le terminal nouvellement acquis est de valeur supérieure au terminal déjà au dossier et que le client ne possède pas de terminal HD.

My 3250HD blew up last Halloween after 5.5 years of service. I'm renting a 4250HD for a month till I grab one on sale. Given that sentence, I have a 4250HD in my file but don't own one and going with the PVR model would be an upgrade... The english text is ambiguous but the french text clearly means that the terminal has to be owned by the client.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2010-11-27, 09:53 PM
Rookie

new videotron PVR (Cisco 8642HD)

I noted that Videotron sold a new PVR model which is not presented in their web site : the Cisco Explorer 8642HD.
Can someone tell me more about this unit ?
a) is it much better than the regular 8300HD?
Why Videotron is selling it very secretely?
Is that the new unit taht some people has been wwiting for for quite a long time?

Last edited by 57; 2010-11-28 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread, please read earlier posts which contain the answers to your questions.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2010-11-28, 12:35 AM

Well, I suggest you read the thread you just posted in, it will answer your questions.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2010-11-29, 04:14 PM
Rookie

I got mine installed last week, so far so good. I never had a PVR before so I can't say whether its better than the 8300 but newer things tend to be better than older things.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2011-01-14, 08:03 PM

so when will the 8642 be on the futureshop shelves?
I need a second HD PVR and want to wait for the new model.

/paba
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 12:11 PM
Rookie

8642 Internet TV

While talking to a technical support rep last night I asked if there were any cool new features we should look forward to.

He said the only thing he could say was you will be able to access the Internet through the PVR.

He hinted there would be a lot of other interesting new things in the future also.

I think this sounds great, if they could push this out soon it would give them a real advantage over the other providers in my opinion.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 08:31 PM

All PVR units contained a DOCSIS modem. I suspect it will just mean you won't need a separate IP modem. Since many people are bundling their cable telephony this will not be of any benefit. Also the PVR OS is pretty antiquated. I doubt they could get LYNX running on it let alone any desirable internet functions.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2011-03-14, 12:37 PM

I just bougt the 4642 from videotron and so far I'm very pleased. It is much faster than the old 8300 PVR that's on my other TV especially when switching from an SD to a HD channel. There a minimal ''black screen'' when flipping through channels.

I have a few questions though...How can I zoom in or stetch the image on SD channels without it affecting the image on HD channels. On my 8300 I could do it but with the 4642 and my new Samsung tv it causes the image on the HD channels to be off center. I have to switch back with the # everytime. I tried the ''fit to screen'' and other settings on my TV but nothing works.

I'm also having problems going through different video sources using the ''input select'' on the cisco remote because I can't scroll up or down through the list with the arrows. The only thing the input button does is bring up the list and go down. I have to press it to cycle through the whole list everytime to go from my TV input to my PS3. I tried all the codes from Samsung to be able to use the arrows but nothing works.

thanks
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2011-03-14, 01:02 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
1. The reason that the channel change time is less is probably because the STB is set to 1080i Fixed, therefore, there is no lag since there is no format change. The delay is actually in the TV and not in the STB, as the TV changes to the new input format. Some TVs switch formats in a couple of seconds while others can take 10 seconds accompanied by a "mad scramble" on the screen.

2. You need to configure the STB to send 480i for the SD channels and say 720P and 1080i for the HD channels. This is done via the advanced setup wizard described in the SA FAQ below. You also need to invoke Passthrough or Auto-HDMI if you're using HDMI.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719 SA FAQ.

3. Once you have done this, you can set the appropriate stretch modes on the TV itself and they will be saved separately for SD (480i) and HD (720P, 1080i) channels.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76074 Stretch Mode FAQ

4. However, I recommend that people watch 4:3 as 4:3 and 16:9 as 16:9 and not stretch the channels since this will provide the best picture quality and no distortion. If you do that, you can simply leave the STB at 1080i/Fixed, which will give you fast channel changes and no distortion. In this way there's no need to use the # (zoom) button and you'll also not be caught missing 33% of a true HD programme because you forgot to unzoom.

5. The input button usually works that way without access to the arrow buttons and repeated presses will get you to the appropriate input. If you want proper remote functionality, you'll probably need to get a programmable remote like the Harmony which will do everything in one button press.

Useful post - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in