Videotron announces a few improvements to Internet Service - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Videotron announces a few improvements to Internet Service

Videotron said today that as of October 13, upload speeds on its residential and business Ultimate Speed Internet 50 services will be doubled from 1 mbps to 2 mbps with no price increase.

In addition, in November, the monthly combined upload/download cap on the residential High-Speed Internet service will be upped from 30 GB to 40 GB, also with no price increase.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 07:14 PM

Quote:
High-Speed Internet service will be upped from 30 GB to 40 GB
Right now it is 20DL/10UL. I really hope it goes 30DL/10UL and not 25DL/15UL.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 07:59 PM

40GB cap in 2010 and they call that broadband!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Jake you misquoted me

Quote:
the monthly combined upload/download cap on the residential High-Speed Internet service will be upped from 30 GB to 40 GB
The cap has been upped not the speeds.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 09:32 PM

Sorry that was not my intent when I paraphrased. I was always talking about the caps. The speed for "High-Speed Internet" is 7.5Mbps and 820Kbps.

Let me rephrase. Right now it is 20GB DL /10 GB UL caps. I really hope it goes to 30 GB DL/10GB UL and not 25GB DL/15GB UL.

I recently got charged for DL'ing 3GB over my 20GB DL limit. However, it would appear they have removed the separate DL and UL caps. At least I can no longer find it on their website. That is good news if true.

Edit: I found the table that lists the Download and Upload Quotas. Good news is they have left the heading but merged the cells so it does appear the caps were combined.

Last edited by Jake; 2010-09-21 at 09:58 PM. Reason: see edit
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-10-12, 07:42 PM

New Videotron cap increase (40GB) for High-Speed

I know I read this fact on the site but I cannot find it. No matter, for me the increase will start November 12. I presume it is the same for everyone on 'High-Speed'. Here is the letter I received. It is a nice gesture but I have 105 days left in my internet contract and someone else will be my ISP by then. This is all part of my scheme to ditch cable and switch to OTA + online services. Which necessitates more than 40GB/month. I estimate about 90GB.

Quote:
Dear Customer:

Thank you for choosing our High-Speed Internet service. To keep ensuring your total satisfaction, Videotron continues to find new ways of improving its Internet service.

We are delighted to announce that starting on November 12, the monthly data transfer capacity of your High-Speed Internet service will increase from 30 GB to 40 GB. That’s 25% more! Every month, you’ll be able to send and download more photos, videos, and other files for an even better experience on the Web.

This improvement will involve a change to your contract. The details are provided below.

Former clause
19 (b) if the Customer subscribes to the High-Speed Internet or Extreme Plus High-Speed Internet services, the service-related activities include usage of the bandwidth for data transfers of 30 gigabytes (30,720 megabytes) of combined downloaded data (from the Internet to the Customer) and uploaded data (from the Customer to the Internet) per month;

New clauses effective November 12, 2010
(b) if the Customer subscribes to the High-Speed Internet Service, the service-related activities include usage of the bandwidth for data transfers of 40 gigabytes (40,960 megabytes) of combined downloaded data (from the Internet to the Customer) and uploaded data (from the Customer to the Internet) per month;

We thank you for your loyalty, and wish to reiterate our total and ongoing commitment to providing a customer experience perfectly adapted to your Internet use and needs.

Myrianne Collin
Vice-President
Research, Marketing and Product Development, Consumer Division

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in