Videotron won't allow me to remove Telemax citing contract - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-07-26, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Angry Videotron won't allow me to remove Telemax citing contract

Well this was a bit of a surprise. I called in (since the web portal did not allow it) to have Telemax package removed from my TV services. I wanted to keep the other options (basic, TMN, HD extra). However, I was told that due to my 12 month contract I could not remove Telemax without incurring a $120 penalty. I could substitute it for another package though! Kinda defeated my purpose of scaling back my escalating cable bill!

The final kick in the pants is that Videotron no longer appears to enforce contracts for new customers signing up after June 30th. I believe this is in response to the new consumer protection law that was proposed in the province.

The other thing I noticed that their "free analog on up to 4 sets" is highly suspect. When I looked at my re-jigged invoice it showed a $10/month/outlet fee. Is that not the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-07-27, 09:44 AM

I would just escalate it, any issue that I have had with Videotron, I just escalate and it usually gets resolved.

With their inability to force customers to long term commitements and with Netflix coming to Canada this fall, I am sure they will be very reasonable as to not upset their existing customers.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-07-27, 10:18 AM

Jake,

I never heard of a penalty ($$$) for changing your illico setup.

I made changes recently to lower my bill and they told me I had to finish up my year but could make all the changes I want (once per month max for custom channels).

I do know that you can't have the basic package alone, you need some extras, either:

- 1 Popular Package (i.e. Telemax) or

- 2 Theme Packages or

- 1 Custom Package

http://www.videotron.com/service/tv/illico-digital

Sharp LC-70LE640U /Yamaha RX-V373 / Explorer 8642HD / PS3 Fat upgraded to 320 Gb

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-07-27, 11:58 AM

At the bottom of your bill, your current contracts are listed. I don't know what you did to get such contract (rebate on new terminal? retention offer?) and when your contract expires, but you better figure out why you're having there.

While in contract, you can exchange your 30$ Telemax package with another package (or a combinaison of packages) around the same price, could a little lower or higher, but you cannot eliminate it completely.

As for Analog Service, there are 2 packages:
- BASIC CLASSIC CABLE (channels 2 to 22, 39 to 58) for free if you have a Custom 15 or Custom 20 package.
- VIDEOTRON CLASSIC (all analog channels) for 10$ if you have Franco, Anglo, Custom 15 or Custom 20. You get Videotron Classic for free if you're subscribed to Telemax or Custom 30 or Mega.

In other words, in your house you can have 1 digital box, subscribe to Telemax, you'll get full analog service on 1, 2, 3 or 4 other TVs for free.
Other example, you can have 1 digital box but subscribe to Custom 15, then you can either pick basic classic cable for free or pick Videotron Classic and pay 10$ for 4 other TVs in the house. It's not gonna be 40$.

If you're being charged 10$ per month per outlet, you are being frauded.
If you're being charged 10$ for analog service when you have digital Telemax, you deserve a credit. Check your past bills and speak with a supervisor.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-07-27, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I do know that you can't have the basic package alone
They told me that too. I just found it odd that you are contractually obligated to keep channel packs. As far as I know Roger, Bell and Shaw do not do this.

Just to clarify, the $10/month appeared only when I tried to change my package online. The Videotron rep asked me before I even finished my sentence if I had Telemax. It seemed she was aware of the online issue.

Later this week I will go back online and see if it re-appears.

PS: I no longer use analog cable and I only have 1 Illico STB. Free Classic or Basic Classic is not an incentive for me.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-07-27, 01:48 PM

The only way you can have the basic package alone is if you're out of contract and you call retention (threaten to cancel TV). No guarantee whatsoever, but worth the try.

As for the 10$ analog package, looks like the system automatically adds it, so if you can't uncheck it, you're better off calling.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-07-28, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Well the freaking $10/month appears on my bill now! Even though I asked specifically if it would be. I must have asked 3 different ways and always the answer was NO, NO and NO. Jesus Mary and Joseph this is getting tiring. Always having to check bills and have corrections made.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-07-29, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

I called up and had the mysterious $10 removed again. Agent was pretty huffy too. Something tells me it won't last.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in