Videotron is able to obtain information about your TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-05-03, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Videotron is able to obtain information about your TV

I know HDMI was 2-way communication but I was surprised when tech support rattled off my TV model. I can only assume that my PVR records this information and sends it back to the cable company. Not sure if I like being a part of this database without my knowledge.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-05-03, 11:48 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
1. Not sure if this becomes part of a database or if it's "volatile".

2. When we discussed "information" from the STB with Rogers (like viewing habits), they stated that the information stays within Rogers (excepting Government or legal court order)

3. It's kind of good that they can see this since it may help with diagnosis or troublesome trends - firmware issues with certain make/model TVs, etc. - For example the issue that VT and BTV recently had with IR interference from certain LCDs.

4. I don't think anyone would hesitate to tell their service provider what TV they had if the provider asked, so this saves a step...

5. I would assume it also gives AVR information if one is connected between STB and TV?

In summary, I guess I don't have a problem with it since I would see more positives than negatives.

For the truly paranoid - connect using component video.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-05-04, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

All good points. I forgot about the viewing habits thread. Also, in this case the troubleshooter was WAY off target.

Quote:
it may help with diagnosis
He said that my signal level was low (-11) because I was using HDMI!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-06-19, 04:22 PM
Veteran

my STB (Scientific Atlantic) is able to tell which resolutions my TV Supports over HDMI Conneciton since the new Sarah firmware was loaded onto it. it does not support 480i over HDMI and before it would display this as a choice, where i was able to remove it manually, but now it does not let me choose it, even if i manually select it in the settings screen. pretty neat eh? less damaged tvs
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-06-20, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I guess it serves a purpose. Now I can view the contents of my PVR online and create and delete content as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in