Sara 1.92.10.1 - New Firmware. Please read post 1 for unresponsive STBs. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Sara 1.92.10.1 - New Firmware. Please read post 1 for unresponsive STBs.

Anyone else get the new SARA software? Just a quick scan and I see a few differences? Widescreen GUI, new fancy playback indicators. Funny as I just mentioned 2 days ago how I hoped there might be a widescreen GUI coming with new hardware.

I have a 1TB 8300HD (DIYer) and I had to cold boot it get the upgrade to stick. I was getting lots of ERR 53s.

Edit by 57. For those people who are having unresponsive STBs after the update, please read the following post on IR interference.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...46#post1075646
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 08:07 PM

yes i got it this morning...

i hope hdmi is more supported and fix a lot of bug...

also it fix problem that i had when i turn of the tv... when i turned off the tv the ENP turned to pause... i had to press exit to listen the sound of the enp...
post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

The update seems to have reset my video resolutions in the HD Setup Wizard HD. As a result it was stretching the 4:3 GUI content. So no 16:9 GUI. Sorry for the wrong information.

post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 09:04 PM
Rookie

Angry New firmware made my box unhappy ;-(

I have an SA8300HD

The box was frozen dead when I got home.

I did a cold boot (buttons on front were unresponsive).

After a cold boot, box seemed "stuck" in some videotron commercial....buttons on unit and remote were unresponsive for a good 15 mins.

Called tech support who did another boot of the box. I had to actually go press power on the box to bring it up...

Then it went through the videotron commercial again...and then after about 10 mins, buttons became responsive...but SLOOOOOW

Changing channels has a lag...looking through the guide has a lag....

it's like its stuck in molasses...

Tech support says I have to give it 20 minutes and the lag will go away...I have my doubts..
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 10:03 PM

Location: Montreal Videotron(8642,4642), Netflix, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360 x2, PS3
Still at 1.89.25.100 - West island, Montreal....

Wii Code: 0050 5044 3338 1179
gamertag: ratovan
post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 10:50 PM
Rookie

Unhappy

not getting better...

So a show was recording...but not in the list when I went to see it..

Did cold boot (again) of box....took 15 mins to get some sort of image, and I can hear the hard drive working like mad...

Then I get an error about DVI/HDMI copy protection and the signal is blocked...

call tech support...has be cold boot the box AND unplug HDMI cable...back to videotron ad channel (channel 1) and all buttons on remote and box are dead/frozen...

Has me cold boot the box and unplug coax cable....same thing (all buttons frozen, and the illico ad channel)..

anyone have any ideas? Did they kill my box???
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 11:02 PM
Rookie

...and now an engineer is doing a downgrade on my box.....rather weird process to watch....on my clock, I have a lower case "R" and then a countdown in HEX (I don't know what number is started the counted at..)...
post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-10, 01:00 AM

If it makes you feel any better, I got the new firmware a few weeks ago and it messed it up my box big time.

Shows recorded on my external HD could no longer be played. New recordings would disappear from the list as soon as they were done recording. Trying to pause live TV would freeze the box and had to do a hard reset.

I didn't bother calling tech support because I kinda forced them to give me the firmware update. I had it with the 'can't pause or rewind until you've switched channels' bug so I told them either they gave me the update or I was going to Bell. So, after playing around for a while, I decided to give up and reformat both the internal and external hard drives. Everything works great now!

Panasonic 50GT30 | Yamaha HTR-6063 | Energy Take Classic 5.1 | Oppo BDP-93 | Illico - 8642HD
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-10, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

I think the HEX starts at 500. Since I have a modified 8300HD I was concerned initially that the 1TB drive + adapter was acting up. I was getting the ugrd, proc and err.53 messages in a loop. The first cold boot did not help. It went through the upgrade again. I performed a 2nd cold boot but this time I waited about 30 minutes and after the hex reached 000 it booted normally.

All recording and scheduled programs are intact.
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-10, 10:12 AM

Anybody know the details behind this Sara OS? I can't find anything about the software via the usual searches, and a buddy of mine who is a Linux guru has never heard of it. Who's the developer?
post #11 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-10, 10:31 AM

Got the upgrade yesterday in Gatineau on my 8300HD box....

Everything seems fine, I didn't have a chance to play alot with it, but the channel browsing and guide viewing doesn't seem to be lagging or slower than before.

Is this upgrade only for the 8300HD, my two other SD box didn't get any upgrade.

Stef...
post #12 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-10, 11:00 AM
Veteran

is this infact a 16:9 gui like the first poster mentioned?

plz let me know
post #13 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-10, 12:07 PM

Hey guys,

I noticed the new navigation bar but the ENP menu (LIST) is still the same.

Is this right ?

Are firmware update details listed anywhere from Videotron ?

Thanks !

Sharp LC-70LE640U /Yamaha RX-V373 / Explorer 8642HD / PS3 Fat upgraded to 320 Gb
post #14 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-10, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Paola see post 3. It was a mistake on my part. Idrive that is right the program guide and playback overlay has changed but the GUI has not.

Scientific Atlanta are the developers. Search for "SARA" and "8300*" to find the older versions and threads.
post #15 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-10, 05:32 PM

I also received the update yesterday over here in Rockland, ON. All went well with one exception that Jake mentioned, my preferred output had changed so that it was stretching 4:3 SD, which I don't want. Set it back to "Fixed" and all is well.

One thing I have noticed is that the response to pressing FFWD, REW and Play buttons on the remote while skipping commercials is faster than before. Just seems snappier. I also like the time marker on the time bar while FFWD or REW. (Maybe stole that from BluRay? ;-) ) And the time bar as 30 minute "ticks" or divisions.

Now, if they would just update the recorded list part of the gui and then make the whole thing 16:9...

...jim

Toshiba 42HDX82, SA8300HD (HDMI->DVI), Yamaha HTR-5440 (Optical), Samsung BD-P3600 (Component)

Tags
firmware

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in