Sara 1.92.10.1 - New Firmware. Please read post 1 for unresponsive STBs. - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 08:08 PM
Rookie

I am a happy owner of a 8300HD who just got "rolled-back" to the old SARA version. I was not happy at all with the new upgrade... Although everything seemed to be OK with my external HDD and my previously recorded shows, two of the main complaints were that the terminal was WAAAAY slower than before the upgrade (even after a few reboot procedures) and then the fact that the background in the show info menu (the one that you can access by pressing Guide and then Info) was too dark. I can not explain why they chose a very dark background with thinner and black fonts for that particular menu... I compared the exact same menu of my Pace (which is running the old firmware) with the new one from 8300 HD and the difference was night and day (for the same color scheme)... Bottom line: the info displayed there was too hard to read... I was not impressed with the new "features" and the fact that some of the bugs have been corrected in the new upgrade, for me it is more important to have a terminal that responds promptly to the commands and then to be able to see the (detailed) info about the shows... I have learned in time to live with the known PVR bugs, so the trade-off was too big for me with the new version in order to accept it. After a few calls to ST managed to have my 8300HD rolled back ... Couldn't be happier !
Strange thing, I have my old graphic interface back, but a few new improvements are still kept after the rollback !!!??? I.e. the Explorer is keeping track of the " current position" for more than the last watched recording... Also a bug that came with the new upgrade (all the 480p channels were stretched in the "normal" mode) is still present after the rollback, so I had to change the picture format from Upconvert-1 to fixed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 09:25 PM

Yeah I am not too sure of what is better.
changing channels is a pain, I have a 2 second delay before the picture comes back. I'll try a cold reboot tomorrow to see if it helps any.
post #78 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 10:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
caselogic172 (and others) I've been away a bit and I had many of the issues that you reported this week and I'm on Rogers:
- Problems with TSN/TSN2.

Regarding TSN-TSN2, are you referring to the quality of the HD feed?

Last edited by 57; 2010-03-20 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Quote shortened.

post #79 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
it doesn't always start spinning on the first attempt
Walt, When I had the Vantec EHD I experienced the same thing. I found that if I waited another 30 seconds it would come to life on its own.

So a few people here with EHDs did in fact have success. Aside from them going offline after being idle.
post #80 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-20, 12:07 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechosenone View Post

Regarding TSN-TSN2, are you referring to the quality of the HD feed?
No. TSN/2 had audio breakup and picture freezes, but if I backed up the programme and watched the same sequence again, then the audio breakup wasn't there. That's why originally I thought it may be a HDD problem, however, it didn't happen on other programming on other channels and I don't believe it was specific to either the external or internal drive... After the two cold reboots, everything's been fine...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #81 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-20, 09:09 AM

In my case, the remote control keys and scrolling through the guide has improved and is much more predictable; but I have a component only TV, no HDMI, and no IR interference, in case those are factors. Before the upgrade, just touching the FF key would result in '>>>>' and I would constantly overshoot the commercials- way too sensitive. Now there is more delay between key presses, and the FF level stays at '>', until the key is pressed again. I have an external HD and have no glitches, when recording 2 channels and watching a pre-recorded program.
I would really welcome the ability to customize the IPG by ordering the channels according to an individual's preferences. I find the major Canadian broadcasters 'too far' from the major American networks; also specialty channels could be grouped together more logically, instead of being all over the map.
post #82 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-20, 10:43 PM

Well I got he update and we all thought it was cool except for how it all slowed down. then yesterday we lost ALL our recordings. all shows are still on the list but cannot be accessed. yes I do have an EHD.
at this point have given up after 3-4 reboots of PVR and the EHD.
I am ready for the big move... reformat.
How do I proceed? I am looking to just starting from scratch, no recordings or anything just as if I just got the PVR and EHD. they are still plugged together.
How do I do it?

thanks in advance.

Rolando Avenda˝o
post #83 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-21, 12:36 AM
Rookie

Quote:
No. TSN/2 had audio breakup and picture freezes, but if I backed up the programme and watched the same sequence again, then the audio breakup wasn't there. That's why originally I thought it may be a HDD problem, however, it didn't happen on other programming on other channels and I don't believe it was specific to either the external or internal drive... After the two cold reboots, everything's been fine.
Ah ok

I have no audio on TvTropolis

Im gonna cold reboot
post #84 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-22, 08:08 PM

Twice since the update I have lost the video of all channels but still had the audio, and I was able to see video on other channels when I turned on PIP (only the PIP window had video) but I could not swap them. Turning the 8300HD on and off doesn't help, but rebooting does.

Is this a problem with the new firmware or a problem with one of my tuners?
post #85 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-24, 09:15 PM
Rookie

I had this problem today. Fixed by reboot the unit. (8300HD)

Has anyone been experiencing the following since the update:

Copy Protection
YPbPr output is blocked
Press "exit" to cancel

No video (audio is separate out to speakers) until Exit pressed and the channel changed.

8300hd connected by hdmi to av receiver connected by hdmi to tv.

I never had this message before the update. And I have had this exact setup for at least 4 years.
post #86 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-24, 09:41 PM

I was instructed by Tech Support to force a new firmware update. We shall see if that makes a difference..
post #87 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-25, 10:28 AM
Rookie

after the first firmware update PVR stopped working but resolved after hard reboots...

then late last week, PVR stopped working entirely. wasted 1 hour with the outsourced tech service which was fruitless.. sent a "technician" over (the extent of their expertise seems to be swapping the box with a new one) and the scratched the $#%@$^ out of the chassis and LCD display of my media streamer (popcorn hour c-200). I was at work so wasn't around to watch this idiot! Filed an official complaint with technical services and we'll see what will happen. Just overall TERRIBLE SERVICE from videotron!!!

Did anyone actually get a letter from videotron about the firmware upgrade and at least warning us of potential problems? THE ONLY LETTER I GOT WAS ONE TELLING ME HOW I'M GOING TO BE PAYING 3$ MORE A MONTH. for what? better service? what a joke!!!
post #88 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-25, 01:00 PM
Rookie

max i could haggle was a 75$ credit which is a joke IMO. considering switching over to bell.
post #89 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-30, 09:01 AM

Message 39: subtle issue resolved; eHDD spins up

In message #39, I mentioned a subtle issue which I thought involved some new handshaking between the STB and the TV, since the upgrade.
In fact, the delay is caused by the external hard drive spinning up. Since the upgrade, both internal and external both spin down when the STB is turned off. When turned on, the internal spins up slightly faster then the external (a Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS Hard Drive) causing the delay.
If the STB is off but recording (both HDD's at full speed), there is no delay between the STB and TV upon power-up. Because of this new feature, I wonder if the green drives would now work?
post #90 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-30, 12:23 PM
Rookie

update on my external drive issues

Just in case anyone else runs into something similar, I want to give an update on my EHD status. My old drive (WD SE16 500 GB) would fail to spin up upon turning on the set top box, and the contents were then inaccessible. I tried to connect the drive to my Linux computer via USB to see if it was recognized, but no luck there, the drive just doesn't spin up anymore. There is a known firmware bug with the particular WD drive that I had so I'm guessing that this may be involved somehow. I'm still planning to try connecting the drive directly via SATA to the computer to see if I can get it to spin up, but haven't gotten around to that yet (no ESATA ports on my computer).

I replaced the drive with a 1 TB WD Black drive, and for the past week that has been working perfectly in the same old case (Vantec Nexstar 3). Other than a few recordings that I lost which I hadn't seen yet, I'm now OK with the update. I do agree with others that the colour scheme of black text on dark blue background is stupid.

Tags
firmware

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in