Sara 1.92.10.1 - New Firmware. Please read post 1 for unresponsive STBs. - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-18, 01:24 PM

Is it just me, or is pretty much everyone that is having a problem with this update also using an external HD?

I do not use an external HD and have not had any of the problems mentioned so far.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have noticed that the performance of REW and FFWD is noticeably snappier. This would indicate some tweaking to the disk access routines.

Could it be that Videotron forgot to test this update on a system with an external HD? And that the changes to the disk access routines are causing these problems when an external HD is present?

Just sayin'...

...jim

Toshiba 42HDX82, SA8300HD (HDMI->DVI), Yamaha HTR-5440 (Optical), Samsung BD-P3600 (Component)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-18, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Good point Jim so let me ask this. Is there anyone reading this thread with the updated SARA software and an EHD that never had any issues? And can you record 2 HD streams and playback a 3rd without any issues post upgrade?
post #63 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-18, 07:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Good point Jim so let me ask this. Is there anyone reading this thread with the updated SARA software and an EHD that never had any issues? And can you record 2 HD streams and playback a 3rd without any issues post upgrade?
Hello all,

I'm in Deux-Montagnes, north of Montreal and I use a 8300HD with a 160MB internal HDD and a 1TB WD Green external HDD in a NexStar3 enclosure. I'm a long time reader, first time poster.

I received the new firmware sometimes last week and I had a lot of the problems that are described in this thread. Live TV pause/rewind would freeze and required to change channels to recover. My previously scheduled recordings seemed to be ignored so I had to clear the schedule list and build it again. Programs would then start recording but they were deleted as soon as they were completed recording. I couldn't schedule two recordings at the same time. There was delays at various points during use, at least it looked like that to my, then very upset/impatient, self. Damn Videotron.

Old recordings were played back fine though (both from the internal (really old programs) and external HDD (more recent programs)).

After reading this thread, I cold rebooted and it fixed most of the problems except that I still couldn't schedule 2 recordings at the same time. I could manually start 2 HD recordings simultaneously but not through the scheduler. There would always be a message showing conflict with only one other recording showing as conflicting...

A second cold reboot seemed to take care of that too. So now everything **seems** to be working normally. And yes, I can record 2 HD programs to my external HDD and watch a 3rd HD program from my external HDD with stutter. I gues I'm lucky after all.

Note that there was some time (a whole day) between my last cold boot and my latest tests so it might something Videotron did that fixed the last problems, although when I turned it on tonight it was not on channel 1.

I still have two "gripes" though:
- The new color UI/schemes all have black text on darkish color for the program info in the TV guide. Very hard to read. I liked my black on cyan better (Boardwalk).
- The recorded programs/scheduled recordings lists still have the old (easier to read) UI, really weird.

That sure was one botched upgrade. Good thing Videotron/SA don't provide firmwares for planes or rockets ...

thanks
Donald

post #64 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-18, 07:44 PM
Rookie

Everything is working fine, except that a few HD channels are less sharper now

Especially NBA games on TSN-TSN2 HD
post #65 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-18, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Thechosenone, I assume you are not using HDMI.

Donald, Thanks for the thorough report. So you lost all your recordings as well. I think that multiple reboots MAY have been able to fix the EHD playback issue but I would really like a member to say for certain it worked for them.
post #66 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-18, 09:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Thechosenone, I assume you are not using HDMI.

Donald, Thanks for the thorough report. So you lost all your recordings as well. I think that multiple reboots MAY have been able to fix the EHD playback issue but I would really like a member to say for certain it worked for them.
Jake,

I didn't lose my recordings. They were all playing fine after the upgrade (older ones and newer ones).

What I meant I 'lost' was my list of recurring recordings. I actually had to clear it and rebuild it from scratch so they would 'kick in' ...

Sorry if I didn't express myself clearly.

thanks
Donald
post #67 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-18, 10:03 PM
Rookie

Jake,

Actually I'm using an HDMI cable, and my HD was super duper perfect before the firmware upgrade.

Not all the channels have been affected though.

I don't know, maybe it's just a coincidence; TSN has never been consistent with its HD feed anyway
post #68 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-18, 11:51 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
caselogic172 (and others) I've been away a bit and I had many of the issues that you reported this week and I'm on Rogers:

- existing scheduled recordings not working properly - had to redo (mostly affected "timeslot" recordings)
- stalling of a recorded programme - the skip back 15 seconds option seemed to fix that for each individual stall, but it happened several times in some recordings I had (F1 Qualifying and Race if I recall).
- not letting me record two programmes - saying there were 3, but only two were on screen,
- Problems with TSN/TSN2.
- etc.

A couple of reboots seems to have fixed the issues, although I redid a lot of my recordings. Very strange that I encountered this too. I wonder if Rogers did a "mini-upgrade" as I don't see a new firmware thread here...

I thought it was an issue with one of my HDDs, however, I checked the various recordings and both drives were affected and both drives now appear to be fine.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #69 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Well well well the plot thickins.

For the record, I use the "anytime this channel" option and they seem to have survived intact. In the past I used "timeslot" recordings and I had endless trouble. I will check again tonight just to be sure.
post #70 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 11:00 AM

Just to add, I use both "Anytime, any day" and "This time, this day" scheduled recordings.

I did not loose any of them after the update. Everything worked, right away. No cold boots required (although I have since done my weekly cold boot. )

Again, I do not have an external HD.

Regards,
...jim

Toshiba 42HDX82, SA8300HD (HDMI->DVI), Yamaha HTR-5440 (Optical), Samsung BD-P3600 (Component)
post #71 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caselogic172 View Post
Hello all,

That sure was one botched upgrade. Good thing Videotron/SA don't provide firmwares for planes or rockets ...

thanks
Donald
LOL

I have yet to see any reasonable communiqué from Videotron when it comes to firmware updates. They just push them on the unsuspecting public and then use us as a beta testers to find problems. As a minimum they should post the date(s) they plan to roll-out the update and the features it is supposed to add / improve.

Not sure why there continues to be a cloak of secrecy concerning firmware updates and subscribers are left on their own devices to figure out what happened.

Lots of money being spent by the company updating their network (I see their trucks all over the place stringing new wires and other hardware) and very little on communication and customer care.
post #72 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 03:27 PM
Rookie

Longtime lurker from Sherbrooke who just registered in order to reply to this thread. I've been using an external drive (Vantec case, WD 500 GB black) for nearly two years now. After the update last week I had to cold reboot a couple of times to get anything at all to work, but now the only trouble I seem to have is with the external drive. After a fresh restart of everything (unplug the 8300HD, turn off and unplug the external drive, start it back up again, plug it into the 8300 and then plug that back in) my drive is recognized and I can access all recordings. If I turn off the 8300 and come back in a few hours I can no longer access any recordings on the external drive, and I notice that I can't hear or "feel" the drive spinning. It seems as if the new firmware is telling the external drive to spin down, but then it's not able to spin up again. I need to go through the whole long business in order to get the drive working again (it sometimes also takes a few power on attempts of the drive not connected to the 8300 in order for it to decide to spin up). I don't think that the drive is faulty, since when it is "working" I don't see any defects and it sounds normal. Anyone else see anything similar?
post #73 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 04:01 PM

I too experienced most of the issues that have been mentioned concerning the firmware update. I did one cold reboot of the PVT(8300HD) and then another including my external drive(WD). This seems to have solved all issues, other than a brief blank screen when the TV turns on. Am able to record 2 HD programs and watch a 3rd. No problems with scheduling other than HBO Canada can't seem to figure out that, if you run 4 or 5 minutes of promos at the beginning of an hour, the chances are pretty good the program will still be running when the hour is up(last couple of Band of Brothers), but thats for another time. All in all, cold reboot(s) seem to fix most issues.
post #74 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Longtime lurker from Sherbrooke who just registered in order to reply to this thread. I've been using an external drive (Vantec case, WD 500 GB black) for nearly two years now. After the update last week I had to cold reboot a couple of times to get anything at all to work, but now the only trouble I seem to have is with the external drive. After a fresh restart of everything (unplug the 8300HD, turn off and unplug the external drive, start it back up again, plug it into the 8300 and then plug that back in) my drive is recognized and I can access all recordings. If I turn off the 8300 and come back in a few hours I can no longer access any recordings on the external drive, and I notice that I can't hear or "feel" the drive spinning. It seems as if the new firmware is telling the external drive to spin down, but then it's not able to spin up again. I need to go through the whole long business in order to get the drive working again (it sometimes also takes a few power on attempts of the drive not connected to the 8300 in order for it to decide to spin up). I don't think that the drive is faulty, since when it is "working" I don't see any defects and it sounds normal. Anyone else see anything similar?
Walt,
I did notice that since the update, when the internal drive stops spinning (2 minutes after turning it off w/o active recordings), my external drive also spins down.
But on my system, both drives wake up properly when I turn the PVR on.

There could be a problem with your drive/enclosure that could not happen before since the external HDD would never spin down?
post #75 of 116 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 05:04 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info Bestman, so your EHD spins down and comes back as it should. I suppose it's possible that either my drive or enclosure has a problem that stops it from coming back on when ordered to.

I do find it disconcerting that when the EHD has been stopped by software, when I disconnect it completely and try to start it by turning on the power it doesn't always start spinning on the first attempt. Maybe there is something wrong with the drive. I'll try an experiment: I've got an old WD 10000 RPM raptor drive that's surplus to my needs right now. I'll try to see if it works better in this respect (assuming that it's recognized). If it does a better job then I guess it's time to buy a 1 TB drive

Tags
firmware

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in