Videotron Loses Only Advantage Over Bell - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-02, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Videotron Loses Only Advantage Over Bell

With Bell's new Quebec offering of "a la carte" choices, Videotron has lost it's only advantage over Bell imo.
Only reason I was staying with Videotron is that it was cheaper since we did not have to buy the dreaded bundles to get channels one wanted.
However, it was frustrating that Videotron stubbornly refuses to carry certain channels available everywhere else (example FOX NEWS) !! And their constant excuses about demographics has become boring.

And now I see that Bell's a la carte is much, much cheaper than Videotron's:
Videotron's basic will soon be 16.00 versus bell's 15.00 PLUS

Videotron 15 is 22.00 versus Bell's 15.00
Videotron 20 is 24.00 versus Bell's 19.00 !!!!!
Videotron 30 is 33.00 versus Bell's 22.00 !!!!

So if videotron doesn't start using some marketing savvy - it may lose some customers. Bell finally woke up over its long, long hibernation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-02, 11:53 PM

I would never subscribe to Bell. Lousy outsourced customer service.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-03, 06:47 AM

Umm... Videotron customer service is outsourced also, as I learned after my most recent call. (However, it was good service).

Back on topic...

Yeah , I saw the a la carte and now have reconsider my choice off TV setup. I think it's easier to stay with videotron given my housing setup, but damn - NOW Bell offers something good.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-03, 09:31 AM
Rookie

I don't see the Bell pricing you are quoting. When I go to the Bell site, they list the A la carte 30 as starting at $47 and Videotron will be at $48 when the increase their price for the base service (it's $47 today).

Note that CNN, A&E, TLC, MuchMusic and Teletoon are excluded from Bell's a la carte 30.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-03, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I would never subscribe to Bell. Lousy outsourced customer service.
This is what made me leave after 8 years. I did call them yesterday however to see what would be offered and it is pretty much the deal you see on the web site which comes down to a "free" HD-PVR for a year on a 2 year commitment, for which the PVR will be $20 a month afterwards.

times have changes, a while back a 2 year commitement scored you free hardware.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-03, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

To BOFH

Bofh quotes "I don't see the Bell pricing you are quoting. When I go to the Bell site, they list the A la carte 30 as starting at $47 and Videotron will be at $48 when the increase their price for the base service (it's $47 today)"

Hmmm I think you are looking at the Carte 30 + 4 HD channels

If the basic service is 15.00 + carte 30 straight is 22.00 = 37.00
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-03, 09:09 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARPEDON View Post
Bofh quotes "I don't see the Bell pricing you are quoting. When I go to the Bell site, they list the A la carte 30 as starting at $47 and Videotron will be at $48 when the increase their price for the base service (it's $47 today)"

Hmmm I think you are looking at the Carte 30 + 4 HD channels

If the basic service is 15.00 + carte 30 straight is 22.00 = 37.00
The $37 includes a $10 Bell bundle discount. This is what I see on their website:

Pricing details
A la carte 30 (Bilingual)
From $37/month
Includes:
A la carte 30 (Bilingual) package $47/mo.
Free receiver rental for a year1 up to $20/mo.
Rental credit on your 2nd HD receiver for a year2 -$6/mo.
Bell Bundle savings -$10/mo.
Complete and customized installation3 Free
Premium Movies free for 2 months4 Free
One-time online credit
-$25
Total savings for the first year
Up to $385

If you prefer to buy your receiver, you can save up to $200 on the purchase price of your main receiver5 and $100 on the purchase price of additional HD receivers6. Learn more
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-03, 10:45 PM

You have to select "Quebec" at hte top of the web page so see "A la carte".
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-04, 09:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTou View Post
You have to select "Quebec" at hte top of the web page so see "A la carte".
A la carte packages are only available in Quebec, so yes, I am looking at the right page. Did you click on the "Offer and pricing details" under the "From $37/mo"? Read the fine print.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-10, 08:45 AM

The only counterattack from videotron to bell is the hokey ad were 1 guy is watching the game and other is just staring at a black screen , but pretty much like everyone says videotron lacks off service and channels .
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-10, 03:09 PM

Just called to cancel my Videotron... and yes, i'll go with Bell.

It was so funny, because of course i was transfered to the retention queue and the agent was.... how can i say that without being mean... he was not great...

When i told him about my choice of leaving videotorn for Bell because the same package at Videotron will cost me between 12-15$ more a month and also with less HD channel.

Bell: Basic (15$) + 30 channels (22$) + TMN (11$)
Videotron:: Basic (16$) + 30 Channels (32$) + TMN (11$) + HD Network fee (3$)

So Total: Bell (48$) Vs Videotron (62$)
Both have a 3$ Network fees... so... it's like 12-15$ difference... And Bell have more HD channels
Plus the PVR HD is 299$ with Bell versus 549$ with Videotron...

Here's the Videotron's agent answer:
He was trying to push his 15 channels packages (on 7$ diff) and the free ANALOG cable on the other tv... and Illico HD is better quality at any time, any season etc....

SO Videotron knows they can't beat or have a better deal than Bell in Quebec now and not changing anything.... At least not before Illico 2.0 (who should be later this yr.....
But it's going to be too late.... Oh well... Nice try videotron... i'm gone...
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-12, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Game Over For Me @ Videotron

After waiting many years for Bell to stop sleeping at the switch and offer "a la carte" programming in Quebec, voila, I can finally free myself from Videotron ! A la carte Videotron had an advantage over Bell's old bundles - cheaper.
Not anymore! And finally I can get what has been denied English subscribers by Videotron for so long: TCM + AMC + FOX NEWS + TMN ON DEMAND and everything a lot cheaper than I was dishing out at Videotron.

Free ! Free at last ! Good God, free at last !

BUt wait....did you know that Videotron forces us to give them a one month notice before you can cancel ? Odd eh ?? One can switch phone companies in one day but Videotron seems to have this clause that one must wait a month ? oh well ... after waiting 20 years, I guess we can wait an extra month.

To MTLSCREAM - were you given this bit about one month when you cancelled ?

Anyone with Bell have any words of advice on whether to rent at 10.00/month or buy outright Bell's terminal ? Do they have a good survival rate ?
Thanks
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-12, 09:35 AM

To SARPEDON:

Yes i had to give them 1 month... and funny, they have to send a technicien to unplug the cable... Weird... Oh well, if they want to waste time and money etc... not my decision anymore...

What i was moslty amazed by... they never tried to offer me anything good to stay or to compete with Bell... That's weird... Like they knew they cant compete now.... Oh well....
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-20, 01:55 AM

To SARPEDON:

Look at Best Buy or FutureShop they often offer great Bell package.
All you have to do is to activate the service online or by phone.

Samsung HL-R4664W / DVD-HD850 / Dreamlink HD / Zotac HTPC / Fibe VIP1232
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-24, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

HSANTOS

Too late to look for deals, as I signed up last week wanting to lock in the discounted prices on the receivers. One never knows when a company will pull the plug on promos. As example: with Videotron, we never got even basic information sent to us. Pop, we`d hear about a new channel (VERY rare as they were for anglos) weeks later or I would know about something before their front desk knew ( e.g: when HBO was announced, I had to tell THEM about it !) So, I didn`t want to take a chance on the losing the discount.

My installation is scheduled for next week and am crossing my fingers that everything will go smoothly and I`m not hit with surprises.

Advice to new signers: I signed up on-line with assistance of an e-chat agent. The beauty is that you are typing your instructions to them. At the same time you can be very clear on how you are understanding what you are buying or intend to buy, with all the deals and discounts mentioned. As this thread keeps going, it`s all on your screen. At the end, just COPY and then PASTE into Word Document et voila you have a concrete proof if anything gets screwed up. Black and white confirmation from one of the agents if you have to argue a point which may be denied or changed !

I did this specifically after reading a myriad of threads on this board about how things can get screwed up with administration and the biureaucracy.

JMHO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in