Videotron Loses Only Advantage Over Bell - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-03-25, 11:16 AM

Quote:
BUt wait....did you know that Videotron forces us to give them a one month notice before you can cancel ? Odd eh ?? One can switch phone companies in one day but Videotron seems to have this clause that one must wait a month ? oh well ... after waiting 20 years, I guess we can wait an extra month.
Bell does this to (standard practice in the industry I assume), I had the same problem when I left them and then to rub salt in the wound, they intially told me I could not sell my receivers until the billing month was finished even though I had paid in full on my account (small threat about the better business bureau fixed that mighty quick )

I think if I could find a way to offload my videotron hardware to recoup the cost of buying the Bell HDPVR, I would take the plunge...but I am just too swamped (and lazy at the same time) atm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-06-28, 12:32 PM

I moved back to Videotron just over a year ago as I was saving about $50 a month for more or less the same things. Granted, the HD offering is smaller with Videotron, all the channels I usually watch are offered by Videotron except for Oasis and HD net which I only miss when there's actually nothing on TV. The internet service with Videotron has been a lot more stable than Bell's since I joined back and the phone, at least for me, is cheaper and I like the free long distance from Videotron to Videotron feature too. I'm a happy Videotron customer even though I don't really like the owner.

It would definitly be nice if the hardware was cheaper although I got a HD receiver for $150 taxes included at Brault and Martineau when they had a promotion which is not bad at all.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-10-26, 11:16 PM

Long-time Videotron client and I just recently switched to Bell. Never going back! A world of difference from the much better on-screen guide to vastly better channel choices. Very happy with their internet service and I have yet to experience any unreliable service.

I heard Bell is kicking V's butt since they started offering a-la-carte and I can understand why.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-10-27, 09:56 AM

I wonder what is going to happen now that TSN launched TSN-Habs that is available exclusively on Bell. Nice move from Bell and CTVGlobeMedia. Now they force Videotron to negotiate on TSN's terms or some of their customers will move to Bell. A win-win position for BCE.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-10-28, 12:14 AM

The main advantage of Videotron for me is that you never lose the signal in bad weather and that was the main reason I returned several years ago along with an la carte menu.
I know Bell have increased their signal since, but I believe you still get outages in extreme weather, right?
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-10-29, 02:56 PM

Well, do you still get a loss of signal with Bell in extreme weather conditions?
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-10-29, 11:05 PM
U

Yes, in extreme weather conditions you can lose the signal. Frankly though I have been with Bell for 9 years now and I can't even remember the last time it happened. It's probably happened to me 6 times (that I noticed) during those 9 years. I must admit I don't watch much TV, probably 10-15 hours a week or so.

Put it this way... If something like losing my satellite reception bothered me, I think I would have to start reassessing my priorities...
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-10-29, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper38 View Post
Well, do you still get a loss of signal with Bell in extreme weather conditions?
Yes, I can't speak for everyone but I certainly do. However their channel choice and superior on-screen guide more than make up for this occasional problem. Now Bell also offers 1080P movies which only adds to their advantage.

When their fiber optic service rolls out, the signal outage will no longer be a problem. Plus I hear its a huge leap forward.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-10-30, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the info. I was curious as to whether there was still a fall out in bad weather. I know it was a problem when I was with Bell and the only solution then was a larger dish, so I switched back to Videotron. There was also problems with internet and for me Videtron internet is superior to Bell.
So I guess Bell have got there act into gear now.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-11-05, 09:36 PM

Even in nice weather you can lose the signal...Bell = crap...
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-11-06, 12:18 AM
U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereomike View Post
Even in nice weather you can lose the signal...Bell = crap...
Oh my, I hope you are not trolling but just in case...

Everything is a trade off. Losing the signal is certainly one of the disadvantages of Bell TV. There are however other advantages such as a modern interface, a better PVR, more HD channels to chose from etc. BTW, did you know that you can lose the signal with Videotron too? Ever heard of a cable cut? Yeah, they happen, even in nice weather...

It comes down to a matter of what is more important to you. You have to accept that other people have different priorities and needs and it doesn't mean that they are wrong.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-11-06, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U View Post
Oh my, I hope you are not trolling but just in case...

Everything is a trade off. Losing the signal is certainly one of the disadvantages of Bell TV. There are however other advantages such as a modern interface, a better PVR, more HD channels to chose from etc. BTW, did you know that you can lose the signal with Videotron too? Ever heard of a cable cut? Yeah, they happen, even in nice weather...

It comes down to a matter of what is more important to you. You have to accept that other people have different priorities and needs and it doesn't mean that they are wrong.
Trolling? This is the Videotron forum...

I was with Videotron for 4 years before switching to Bell, just so I would get the Golf Channel HD. I lost the signal once during a Paula Creamer interview, I was pissed off big time! I went berserk!

But it's not that bad, it's just frustrating when it happens at a bad moment.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-11-16, 06:57 AM

I was with videotron 2 weeks ago. What made me change? Price, a free PVR for 2 years, and a second sd box free for 2 years too, more HD channel, quality of the image, and finally, when I was with videotron, when I lost TV (even during sunny daya ) I could not event call them or chat with an agent, becaause everytime, all my services shut down!

My set up:

Before ( videotron) :
High speed internet
Phone line with call display and long distance unlimited in quebec
Sur mesure 20, super ecran, TMN
Price : around 135$ plus tx

Now (bell)
Fibe 7 internet
Home phone choice line( with call display, call wating, call answer, three way calling, call forwarding) and unlimited LD call in quebec
A la carte 20, les favories, super ecran, TMN, and 4 HD thematique( with oasisHD! , tsn/2. HD, discovery HD , national geographic HD, etc)
Price :around 129 plus tx

I regret? Not at all! More services, cheaper!
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-11-16, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARPEDON View Post
BUt wait....did you know that Videotron forces us to give them a one month notice before you can cancel ? Odd eh ?? One can switch phone companies in one day but Videotron seems to have this clause that one must wait a month ? oh well ... after waiting 20 years, I guess we can wait an extra month.
It's is normal that they ask you a one month notice, it's only because, as any telecom's company bill you one month in advance. So the one month notice is only because you have already paid for that month.

Last edited by 57; 2011-02-12 at 10:38 AM. Reason: quote shortened
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-02-12, 09:35 AM

30-day notice? Yea more or less because you are billed in advance, but not neccessarily.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in