Videotron announces "Free Classic Basic Cable" offer - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 2010-03-26, 09:07 AM

I'm located in Ville Ste-Catherine on the south shore. I have a channel master 4221 8 bay antenna mounted on a 10 foot post attached to my balcony facing south. I also have a Yagi-13 antenna on top of the post just to get ABC.

Samsung PN50A650,LG FA-2100,Sony PS3, Channel Master 4228HD combined with Wade Yagi 5y13S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 2010-05-11, 02:36 PM

Just removing filter?

I called Videotron to have them come by and activate the Basic Classic cable and they are doing so tomorrow...

But here's the kicker: They'll remove the filter for free, which will give me access to stations like YTV and VRAK.TV, but they won't activate those stations on my digital box?

Isn't that *really* weird? I get the signal already -- why wouldn't I just be able to view it through my digital box? With Rogers, if you get a channel on Analogue you get it on Digital too (in fact, for a while they didn't have all the analogue channels digitized, so the digital box would just dial up the analogue signal).

Is that right, or did I get a confused Videotron person?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 2010-05-11, 07:27 PM

Quote:
They'll remove the filter for free, which will give me access to stations like YTV and VRAK.TV, but they won't activate those stations on my digital box?
Well, if you want them on your digital box, add them on your "à la carte" package.

On Rogers, there are just too many channels on the basic service which costs 30$, so they can afford to give you channels for free on your digital box since you already paid your subscription to those channels in basic service. When you think about it, sports channels (like RDS, TSN, RSN) are each asking 1$ per subscriber per month and are included in basic service. If you're not watching sports, you still give them 12$ per year for nothing.

On Vidéotron side, basic service is 16$, the "à la carte" packages are expensive so they'll be able to provide subscriber revenues to the channels you receive in analog form, regardless if you're watching them or not.

Reminder that the majority of specialties revenues come from subscribers. Advertisement is their second source of revenues.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 2010-05-12, 03:48 PM
U

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashinstinct View Post
Videotron advantages for me:
- no issue with weather
Seriously? In 8 years as a subscriber I think I might have been hit half a dozen times by the weather. I think people are putting way too much emphasis on this aspect. Yeah, it can happen but its not like TV is that essential... If I miss part of a show because of this I'll just download it from the Internet. If you watch a lot of live sports I admit it could be more of an issue, but still not a deal breaker IMO.

YMMV, of course...
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 2010-06-12, 12:18 AM
Rookie

i too quit Videotron, its been allmost a year now.
With my Channel Master antenna(99$) and a Yagi 13 on top(Just for ABC) (60$)
I get RC HD 2.1, CBS HD 3.1, CBS 3.2(Weather), NBC HD 5.1, NBC 5.2 SD(This (Old movies channel), CBC HD 6.1, TQ HD, ABC HD 22.1, ABC SD 22.2, PBS 33.1 HD, 33.2 SD, 33.3 SD(Create), 33.4 SD(World),Fox HD 44.1, Fox SD 44.2(Different programming than 44.1), PBS 57.1 HD, PBS 57.2 SD( Different programming), PBS 57.3 SD (Different programming)
All this for free not as bab as some would think.
And i get analog cable for free !!!!!!<
For phone i have a 2 iphones each with a 17$/ month plan(evenings at 6pm and 200 min /month)
One of the phones has a 6GB/month internet plan for 30$ that i use for tethering.
With windows 7 u can use you laptop wifi to act as a router. So i hook my iphone to laptop ( usb or wireless) and then sart connectify on my laptop and then my ps3 sees my connectify network like a router and i can play online.
I admit it is very hard to pull the Videotron plug!!!
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 2010-06-12, 10:49 AM

^^^
Which Channel Master model do you have? And where did you buy it?

Are you saying you need an outdoor antenna to receive ABC?

TIA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in