Videotron 2010 New Channels Discussion - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 08:25 PM

Actually that article is OK but why does it keep mentioning that Videotron doesn't have Discovery HD...that doesn't even exist...maybe they should verify what channel are available in Canada before saying they are not adding them...

By the way, the Wikipedia page on Videotron now mentions that a possible coming channel is...

NBA TV Canada (SD & HD) - to be launched/added soon

Stop already with sports channels, especially NBA HD..why that over all the missing HD channel that would actually be popular...Who watches basketball in Quebec...Not a sports fan at all, but if they wanted to add a sports channel, why would NBA Canada HD would before NFL Network...isn't football and the NFL way more popular than the NBA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmtl06 View Post
By the way, the Wikipedia page on Videotron now mentions that a possible coming channel is...

NBA TV Canada (SD & HD) - to be launched/added soon

Stop already with sports channels, especially NBA HD..why that over all the missing HD channel that would actually be popular...Who watches basketball in Quebec...Not a sports fan at all, but if they wanted to add a sports channel, why would NBA Canada HD would before NFL Network...isn't football and the NFL way more popular than the NBA?
I fully agree jrmtl06. I am also not interested in any additional sports channels HD or SD. Videotron can add as many as they want without getting any extra revenues coming out of me.

However, if they added a few more HD channels of interest such as Showcase, AMC, HDNet and Turner Classic Movies my hand may reach into my pocket and pay the additional subscription fees (within reason) into the coffers of Videotron. Until then, like you and others, I wait...
post #78 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-18, 06:34 PM

sent an e-mail as well. Yes the article in the Gazette reflected my frustration a little but not quite. If I could switch I would. I really am getting antsy for MPIX, WB and even showcase in HD.

as I said at the end of my e-mail:

To read that there is no demand for these in the article is frustrating. To hear the insinuation again that focus is French content over English, that we are too small a segment is downright insulting. Maybe our Anglophone money isn't good enough and if it is so small maybe you won't miss it if it is gone.

Rolando Avendaño

post #79 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-19, 11:46 AM

Let's keep up the pressure!

I wrote them an e-mail Friday regarding missing HD channels such as History, Movietime, Mfun, Mexcess, etc. I also told them that I was being harrased by their competitor to switch to Bell Fibe television. I am in a location where this is offered. Videotron must know this because I did not get a "cookie cutter" e-mail response. Someone actually phoned me! Can you believe that! When I asked the person why the phone call she said they have been answering complaints by phone for about 1 year. I doubt that very much, I believe I got a phone call because I am in a location where Bell Fibe is availabel. Make a long story short the Videotron rep said she would pass along my complaint up the food chain. Same old, same old.
post #80 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 12:31 PM

Actually, that Gazette story by Bill Brownstein was erroneous when it came to Discovery HD. Videotron has long carried Discovery HD, but you have to subscribe to it separately as it's not part of a package. Furthermore, Globemedia, the network's parent, re-branded the channel as Discovery World HD back in June. Same channel, slightly different name, and the content has never, and probably will never, be a mirror of the non-HD Discovery channel as the HD version is committed to 24 hours of pure HD programming.
post #81 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Actually, that Gazette story by Bill Brownstein was erroneous when it came to Discovery HD.
That's what I wanted to reply when I started reading the article. But I kept reading...
Quote:
McLean, like others, laments the fact, that in addition to not carrying AMC, Videotron doesn't offer Discovery HD.

"For whatever reason, the extra-cost option is something called Discovery World, which is good but isn't the same thing." McLean notes.
As you can figure out, they want the HD version of Discovery Channel located on channel 64, and made a distinct difference with Discovery World HD. But the story was wrong only on one thing: The Discovery Channel that we receive is not the US version, but the Canadian version, operated by CTV.
CTV has launched and HD version of Discovery in 2004, then dropped it december 2005 to replace it with "Discovery HD Theater Canada". So technically, there's no Discovery HD available for Canada.
post #82 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 01:13 PM
Rookie

NBA TV???????

Oh hell yes !!!!!!!!

BTW, basketball is more popular in QC than most people think

Please do it Videotron !!!!!!
post #83 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-29, 05:42 PM

Sportsnet ONE

Any idea if SportsNet ONE will be added in the near future.

Being a Gatineau resident, the addition of this channel would permit me to see all 82 games of the Senators.

Stef...
post #84 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-29, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Any idea if SportsNet ONE will be added in the near future.
Hopefully never.
Well, Rogers asked other canadian service providers to carry Sportsnet One on basic digital service. So everyone would get to pay 1$ more per month just for a few 15-20 games that should have aired on the regional Sportsnet Ontario or East in the first place. That sucks. While the senators will play on ONE, regional Sportsnet will air poker.

Hopefully Vidéotron will be strong enough and be able to negociate better terms to avoid penalize their customers for Rogers own screwups and bad management.

There's an ongoing discussion/debate in the "Canadian Television Industry / Channels and Providers" section you might be interested to.
post #85 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-10-01, 12:28 PM

Super Écran 2 HD is up and running this morning, channel 702.

Also, the Illico barker channel (1) runs a promo for Mpix which ends with "available in high definition channel 716, call 1-88-videotron", but channel 716 ain't working yet. So I guess it's a sign that it's only a matter of days.
post #86 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-10-02, 12:54 AM

Good news.
post #87 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-10-02, 11:44 AM

Ah yeah, Mpix HD will be added on channel 716 and Speed HD will be added on channel 612 next monday, October 4th.
post #88 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-10-02, 08:23 PM

Woohoo! Now if only they could go back to Speedvision's programming...
post #89 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-10-03, 12:52 AM

Ugh this sucks. They need to do something about the situation in Gatineau. We pay the same price as the rest of the province but we get less channels. Boo!
post #90 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 08:02 AM

MPIX HD & SPEED HD is up now
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in