Videotron 2010 New Channels Discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 01:04 PM

World Fishing Network (WFN) has been added this morning, channel 57, in SD version only.
Free preview for the next 3 months. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 04:48 PM
Rookie

Angry Less HD in Gatineau?

Hello, I have been following these forums for the past year or so, and just registered today as I got fed up by what I was told by Videotron customer service on the phone. I called them to ask why I don't have APTN, LCN, Musique Plus and Planète in HD (even though I have them picked as part of my 20). They said that its because I live in Gatineau, and that there is some agreement with the city which blocks them from providing their full range of HD channels in the area. So its not a technical issue, but a political one. So basically, everyone else in Quebec can get the full range of Illico HD channels, except Gatineau due to our city council!

Is this really true!?!? Does it also apply to Bell?

I am in total disbelief!!!

Last edited by 57; 2010-09-02 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Language
post #48 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 09:08 PM

Gatineau

That sounds like bs, and has more to do with the fact that the network has not been modernized there, so they can't offer all the channels.

post #49 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 10:32 AM

Quote:
They said that its because I live in Gatineau, and that there is some agreement with the city which blocks them from providing their full range of HD channels in the area. So its not a technical issue, but a political one.
Oh boy, where to start...
Gatineau is a 750Mhz network (stretched to 780Mhz) and has to carry 60 analog channels on the network due to it's proximity to Ottawa. Since they can't or won't remove analog channels, and since Videotron judged they won't upgrade the network to 1Ghz (this could potentially add 13 more QAMs or 26 more HD channels), they simply stopped adding more HD channels for that area in late 2009 when they finalyl figured out the network was full.

During summer, they deployed SDV (Switched Digital Video) which will free up some network space. On September 1st, they added the missing SD channels but the HD ones are still missing.

Unfortunately for you, Gatineau area was neglected by Videotron and badly managed with poor planification. Examples: Channel 9 has static, channel 13 (info illico) is totally useless and some other analog channels could be removed and offered in digital format only, like Mpix, Comedy, HGTV and Spike. But maybe there are regulations (CRTC or the city) that force them to keep those analog channels in the lineup.
post #50 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 01:00 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the answer InMontreal.

After reading your post, am I right to feel a bit optimistic that in the near future the missing HD channels in Gatineau will be finally available, thanks to the SDV?
post #51 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-09, 11:40 PM
Rookie

I'm sure this question was asked before, but I'm new here. What's stopping Videotron from adding more HD channels? Rogers and Bell seem to have over 100+ more channels (SD/HD combined) than Videotron. I understand Bellis using a different technology, but Rogers can do it.

What makes Videotron different (technical wise)?

And is there any hope for us Videotron subscribers in Montreal?

Note to self: never move into a condo that doesn't allow satellite TV.
post #52 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-10, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Rogers can do it in Ontario because they spent Billions (with a B) on infrastructure to provide the bandwidth and also use Switched Digital Video technology.

Rogers in Atlantic Canada has many fewer channels due to less infrastructure/technology. Shaw in Western Canada is the same.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #53 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-10, 10:42 AM

Well, Rogers and Shaw most likely don't carry all the French channels that Videotron does...
post #54 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-10, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Let's keep this thread on topic with new channels on Videotron. If you wish to continue a bandwidth discussion, please start another thread. Thanks.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #55 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-10, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Well, Rogers and Shaw most likely don't carry all the French channels that Videotron does...
Rogers carries all french OTA networks and the majority of specialties, in both SD and HD:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...hannels#French
Shaw Cable carries only a few specialties, plus SRC Vancouver and TVA (national), everything in SD only:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rench_Channels

Back to topic, Gatineau gained the few specialties they were missing: Yoopa, Zeste, Al Jazeera English and the latest addition WFN, but all in SD. They are still missing 8 HD channels.

Also, CPAC Fr (23), l'Assemblée Nationale (24) and CPAC En (28) were moved to positions 174 to 176 last tuesday. No reason why. Speculations says SunTV (79) will move to lower position to advantage the upcoming SunTV News on january 2011. LCN could also move to a lower position.

Coming up:
- Playhouse Disney Télé (91) - to be added soon
- CFZZ-FM 104.1 Boom FM - radio service to be added soon
- Speed HD - to be added soon
- Mpix HD (716) - to be added soon
- Discovery Civilization Channel (156) will become Discovery Science - September 27, 2010
- Super Écran 2 HD (702) to launch - october 2010
- Vanessa (French SD & HD) - to launch October 28, 2010
post #56 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-10, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post

Coming up:

- Mpix HD (716) - to be added soon
For real? Any idea on when?
post #57 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-10, 01:45 PM

A lot of people will be happy with Speed HD and Mpix HD. Now can we get Showcase HD please...isn't Showcase a popular channel?
post #58 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-11, 11:22 AM

I am glad I found this discussion forum. I have been a Videotron customer for 5 years. Now that I have my HDTV it is getting more and more frustrating to subscribe to Videotron. I have no issue with their product or service qualities. My problem is their lack of choice, particularly on HD. Unfortunately for me, I have nowhere to go. Living in an apartment, sattelite dish is out of the question. Also, the building is not served by other cable companies.

I really hate to see TV discussion fora discussing a number of shows to which I do not have access. Also, to say that Videotron focuses more to its market demographics does not make enough sense since the total HD channels it carries is actually less than that of Cogeco, that serves the Estrie. Also, Cogeco carries more English channels even though demographically there is more Anglophones in Montreal, in percentage or in total number.

Specifically, this is what I miss being with Videotron:

CW, or its shows in HD.
AMC
The Score HD for US college football
Timeshifting (US or Canada) in HD
Showcase HD

Also, CNN HD, Super Channel, CTV News HD and the rest of The Movie Network in HD will be good.

Specifically to CW, some of its shows are carried by /A\ or Sun TV. Alas, we do not get /A\ at all nor Sun TV in HD.

Well, that is my rantings. Thank you for reading.
post #59 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-11, 03:58 PM

About timeshifting in HD, forget about it!
In a recent printed avertisement in the 24 Heures newspaper delivered in the subway, Videotron said that BellTV's advertisement of 100+ HD channels is based on the total overall of channel versions (like CTV Toronto, Vancouver, etc.) while Videotron is based on each individual network. That indirectly means that Videotron is not interested in adding timeshifting of networks already offered in HD in our own timezone.

But expect them to add TVA West in HD soon...

When Videotron will either remove a huge chunk of analog channels or will deploy SDV to all covered areas, maybe they'll add timeshifting. For now, their priority is: french-language HD channels and most requested english ones, if they can reach a satisfying agreement.
post #60 of 123 (permalink) Old 2010-09-11, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
About timeshifting in HD, forget about it!
That's why I dropped the SD version at the start of the year, might as well record the analog feed to timeshift it myself.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in