Videotron and Samsung to offer Tru2Way service - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Videotron and Samsung to offer Tru2Way service

Samsung and Videotron have announced an agreement which would see Videotron become the first cable company in Canada to offer “True2Way” service using Samsung’s multi-room Digital Video Recorder (DVR).

Interesting stuff. Guess Videotron wants to get away from SA and have greater choice. One would assume that once you go down this path, you don't want to have two guides to support.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 11:00 AM
Rookie

Will they ever have 30 second skip? This is the most annoying thing, and its whats holding me back from Videotron more than anything else
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 12:41 PM

Interesting. But I think the majority of SA PVR users find the current system adequate and the up-sell would be difficult. I originally thought that SA MR-PVR's would be nice to have but my viewing habits just do not indicate that. If I want to extend the reach of my PVR I will most likely get a second unit. I suspect that solution will be less expensive than the new Samsung technology. Now if they could incorporate something like the WDTV Live into the new STBs then I might be all over it.

I assume they (Rogers) are talking about the communication protocols?

Quote:
Rogers Cable stated they were not interested in the Tru2way platform because it is not based on open standards

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 03:47 PM

This is great! wouldnt that meen that videotron could now support Tivo, and other devices that currently support CableCard?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-19, 12:37 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Tru2Way is not CableCARD, therefore no, it would not work. It only works with Tru2Way equipment, which some TVs have/will have. Other equipment may include it in the future. Search for Tru2Way on this forum for additional details.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-20, 02:00 PM
Veteran

It could, if it were a given all Tru2Way devices are Cablecard.

Quote:
Rogers Cable stated they were not interested in the Tru2way platform because it is not based on open standards
As opposed to what open standard for interactive cable features?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-21, 03:42 PM

Wait until February 2010

The FCC seems to want to impose a different solution since broadcasters can't pull their act together. Also because technolgy moves too fast, the FCC wants something that works with any source.

http://www.betanews.com/article/FCC-...ion/1260998342

If Videotron goes with Tru2way, they'll be the only ones, making it the same way as it is: only one terminal by only one supplier.

Please, prove me wrong, and I'll be happy.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-27, 12:16 PM
Rookie

Any news about Illico 2.0? Like maybe a date of arrival?

Do we know what more this 2.0 service will give? More HD channels?

I'm on the fence right now, waiting for both Illico 2.0 and FibeTV. Wondering witch one will be the best and then, make a move.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2010-06-27, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Any news about Illico 2.0? Like maybe a date of arrival?
None. Well, for Montreal area, analog channel 60 (441Mhz) has become a data channel for Samsung terminals since mid-June, which means tests has begun. Those "testers" are more likely to be Videotron staff and employees. Based on Videotron's past product launches and features, once the tests has begun, it can take between 6 months and 1 year before it goes public, and no product is being launched during summer. Come september and they'll pick a launch date for the cell service. Then their main focus will be support for cellphone service... so don't expect Illico 2 before AT LEAST january 2011.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in