Help for HDTV Tuner with Illico - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-12-12, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy Help for HDTV Tuner with Illico

Hi,

It's my first post here, but I've been scouting a bit to find an answer but I didn't found anything really clear about it...

I'm looking to buy a new HDTV on boxing day with a Illico HD Receiver. I already have a blu-ray reader, a sound card and a surround sound system with my computer. Also, it is located a few feet away from my TV, so I would like to use it to watch Blu-Ray movie. Until that, everything's fine.

What I want to do now, is record TV on my computer since I also have a 320GB hard drive that isn't use presently. In the end, all I miss to record on my computer, is the interface between the Illico receiver and my computer. I would prefer having an internal solution than an external or USB one. Also, since I could get the HD PVR for 200$ more than the normal one, I don't want to spare more than 150-175$ on this, since it will be more trouble already than just buy the PVR box and plug it.

After a week of search, it seems like there is no solution for doing that... is that right? I do want to stay in HD I'm not interested to lose resolution as I get stuff recorded on my computer.

Thanks for the answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-12-12, 09:58 PM

Hi,
Your only solution is the Illico PVR, the QAM (various signal from Videotron) are encrypted and couldn't be recorded with a Hd capture card.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 11:15 AM

Depending on the receiver, you might be able to use Firewire to record, so it would only cost you a cable... Take a look at this Roger's thread to get you started:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=56259

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-12-21, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Good, thanks for your help!!

I should receive my new TV and all the stuff between Christmas and New Year's day. So I'll let you know if everything is working fine!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-12-21, 11:49 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's the FAQ on Recording HD.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099

Possibily Firewire on non-protected channels, or the Hauppauge HD PVR. I don't believe there are any other options for HD with Videotron.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in