Playback problems with PVR 8300HD - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-06-16, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Playback problems with PVR 8300HD

Hello,

I've been having some problems lately with my PVR. It's a problem that comes and goes and is usually during live TV playback or watching a previously recorded show.

Basically, when watching a playback of a live show or something that's been recorded, the picture and audio sort of skips and freezes. It is as if you're watching a video on Youtube that hasn't fully loaded and you're waiting for the picture and audio to unfreeze.

This problem also happens very rarely when watching live programs as well. During the Pens and Red Wings game on Friday, it was as if little hiccups were happening to the picture where it would become all pixelated for a second and go back to normal.

I've tried cold rebooting several times and it only temporary fixes this problem, but it always comes back.

I should also say that the PVR is in a shelf in my TV hutch/unit. There is a good inch between the vents in the top PVR and the top shelve as well as the back of the unit. Is this sufficient breathing room?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-06-19, 02:14 AM

hmm, hard to say, without seeing the signals i cannot really say, maybe there is interference near the box (unfortunately, the 8300 is known to have that issue, as the shielding is not as good as it would be needed) that cause the problem

first question that come in mind : since when? and did you make any in your house around the time it started
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-11-10, 05:11 PM

I have the same problems except that I have no glitches when watching live TV. I only got glitches when listening to recorded stuff. I even put my PVR outside the TV cabinet to make sure it was not overheating and there is no changes. Since I only have problems when playing recorded stuff, I was thinking about changing my hard drive but I'm not sure that it will resolve my problem, any idea???

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-11-10, 07:28 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
It's possible that the HDD is going, but also check your signal strength and S/N ratio. Often when recording, additional signal is required:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

Although the signal is fine for live, it's not for recording.

See the following useful post for those new to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-11-11, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the info: my signal strength and S/N ratio are very good: -1 to 0 dBmv and signal over noise of 34-35 dB. I read yesterday a lot of info on the PVR's. I even unplugged my HDMI cable to see if it would make a difference but no. I will remove a splitter and see if it makes a difference. If not, I will format my HDD. Let's see if anything works!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-11-11, 09:54 PM

you can try to format the HDD on the PVR, beware that it will erase everything on it

for this do this with the remote control :

hold the pause button until the message light flash on the illico(hold it about 10 sec)
presse "page -" once
press "LIST" three times

Vive le fun!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-01-13, 09:35 PM

Ok, I did format my HDD with lukewarm results. At first, it was a little bit better but it quickly got worst. So finally, last week I decided to change my HDD. I bought a WD5000AAJB and the replacement went just fine. But at first I thought it was not running because it was so quiet compare to the 320 originally installed (a WD3200AAJB)! So my HDD was effectively slowly but certainly dying.

Thanks again for your advice!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-02-01, 08:57 PM

Infos on HD changing ?

I'd like to know what harddisk model did you install, because, after having continuously complaining at Videotron customer support "lack-of-service", a technician came home and confirmed an harddisk problem, but couldn't help since the warranty expired 19 days before my first (out of my outnumbered calls for "support").
So, from now on, I'm on my own, and I'll probably do the job myself.

Last edited by jean_1022; 2010-02-01 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Partial info found in another thread
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-02-01, 11:46 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's the thread on the iHDD upgrade:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15719

The model is indicated in post 7.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-02-02, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph1050 View Post
I bought a WD5000AAJB and the replacement went just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_1022
I'd like to know what harddisk model did you install
it's included in his post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in