RF connection vs HDMI or Component - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-06-12, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

RF connection vs HDMI or Component

Getting a new TV, in a week or so, and,

- My Component cable is not long enough for my setup

- My HDMI cable would need to use HDMI 4 input which, in this case, would be a side of the TV panel connection, since HDMI 1-2 and 3 in the back panel will be used by players

Therefore, my best solution would be to connect a cable from the RF output of my SA8300HD to the RF TV input.

Do we have members who use the RF connection to the TV and can they confirm that PQ is similar to HDMI and Component?

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-06-12, 09:31 AM

Absolutely no comparison. RF is bottom of the barrel in terms of quality. Even for SD. The RF output from the 8300HD is 480i only. No HD or 480P is possible. I recently changed from 720p component to 720p HDMI and noticed a significant difference in the picture. But I suspect my component calibration was off. If you have HDMI use it. The cost of a 12' HDMI cable is less than $10 delivery to your door. I am also happy that the HDCP handshake headaches are a thing of the past. At least with Illico STBs.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-06-12, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks, Jake, I have a 15' HDMI cable ready for the job. I will now buy a 90 degree HDMI adapter for the side HDMI 4 TV input (part # 4860 at Monoprice).

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-06-12, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I will now buy a 90% HDMI adapter
I am not sure I understand. If you are lacking inputs you can pick of an auto-sensing HDMI switch. Or what I did (since everything is routed through my receiver), is use the 2 HDMI inputs on the receiver and the 2 component inputs on the receiver. I only use 1 HDMI input and 1 component input on the TV. I toggle between HDMI and component and needed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-06-12, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Even if I had an a/v with HDMI switching, I would still use:

- HDMI 1 for my HD DVD player

- HDMI 2 for my Oppo DVD player

- HDMI 3 for my Blu-Ray player

...because I will be able to calibrate each HDMI TV input to accommodate TV picture settings better suited for these players.

That leaves HDMI 4 for the SA8300HD but this one is located on the side of the TV. To improve the appearance of this connection, I'm getting the 90 degree HDMI adapter which I discussed tn my earlier message.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-06-12, 01:02 PM

Quote:
90 degree HDMI adapter
OK now it makes sense. Originally you had 90% when I read it.

Let us know how it all works out.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-06-12, 08:24 PM

AFAIK, its also possible to use a longer component cable, but like all analog signal, the longer the cable is, better shielded the cable must be, that and you need to calibrate the television to be sure that it will work corrrectly and that the picture will be the same quality as the HDMI cable (and for the naysayer here, yes its possible, its just that you must be thorough in eliminating all electric noise where the cable is used)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-06-16, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

...delivery and installation of my new LN52B750 Wednesday at 10:00 AM.

As you can see from the time of this post... trouble sleeping !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in