splitter with amplifier... - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 2009-02-28, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

superham:

I like your advice.

I have made sure to remove that amplifier since it doesn't seem to help anyway. But cheap is a relative term, it's more like being ripped off $ 40.00, I will try to get a store credit! BTW I checked the status and yes it is bi-directional...

Also, when you say borderline at Level = -13, S/N = 31-32, then what is it supposed to be (ideally)...

Quote:
...Some people use a splitter to watch a digital show and record an analog show at the same time, it's the way to do it, Videotron don't have any problem with that...
They don't have a problem with that, but you pay extra monthly for the additional (2nd) TV...

thanks for you help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 2009-02-28, 05:27 PM

On analog tv only service, there is a montly fee for extra outlets, but when you have telemax or higher package on digital tv, they don't charge montly fees for additional analog cable jacks but they charge for the installation for sure... Installing a splitter to split the digital and analog signal is the only way to record and watching another program at the same time, it's why there is a 2-way splitter included in the box when you purchase a set-up box in stores.

i hope your issue will be fixed soon!!
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 2009-02-28, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

superham:

Another question...may sound a bit crazy, so feel free to LOL...

can videotron send me (2) digital services (that is for 2 TV's only), with different channel packages, and is there extra monthly cost for this 2nd TV...

thanks

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 2009-02-28, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by superham View Post
...syntonise the channels with the worst signal levels. If you are not interrested by these channels,just let the terminal turn-on on these channels when you are not home or
don't watch tv...

I don't understand this, does this mean turn off the TV and Illico box when I'm on the weakest station...
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 2009-02-28, 06:13 PM

You can buy extra digital set-up box, i think they charge 2,99$/month each extra terminal up to a total of 4 terminals (you are better to check with the customer service for the price, i'm not 100% sure). You will get the same package on all your set-up box. I don't think you can have different packages on each terminals, anyway there is no interest to do so.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 2009-03-01, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

splitter with anlaog with pixelation...

I sometimes get pixelation on an analog cable feed, seems to be on channel Mt Lake Vermont PBS...

Is it possible the broadcasters feed is problematic, or is this the shows recording, or is it Videotron...
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 2009-03-02, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

The digital service is looking really different depending on the channels, get drop outs (sound & pic), pixels, and colors on faces seem to be blocky,

Videotron says it's OK, now maybe I should tell them I might cancel...I thought this company was getting bigger for good reasons, how did they do it!
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 2009-03-03, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

signal graph

Videotron basic digital channel signal strengths with splitter:

http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/u...ent=hc_003.png

Videotron basic digital channel signal strengths no splitter:

http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/u...ent=hc_004.png

- any comments...

In general, what is the relationship between, signal Level and S/N ratio, if any???

thanks
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 2009-03-04, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Videotron Variability

Since I last posted my results, tonight I am consistently getting -4 to +1 dbmv signal levels, is this typical, that the readings can change from day to day...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in