4250 updated, and now.... - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-02-05, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

4250 updated, and now....

I had everything working perfectly.....then
I noticed yesterday mornning that the STB had been updated and my SD was in 16:9
I checked the diagnostics and that is all good, tried all the different options with the wizard and nothing.
I did a hard reset on the STB and the LCD today and am letting it sit while I am at work.

I am running HDMI from the 4250 thu my Yamaha 1640 and to the LCD, and I did not change a thing prior to or after this happened.
And I always reads the manuals and have used up all the tips and tricks offered here

Any sugestions on why this would happen and how to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-02-06, 12:34 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
1. I assume that you don't want your SD in 16:9. See if you've enabled one of the stretch modes on the TV.

2. Check the output format from the STB by looking at the front to see if it's outputting 1080i for 1080i HD channels, or perhaps for all channels.

3. Setting it for 1080i fixed is probably the easiest option for an LCD. See the following post on SA STB tips:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

4. Make sure you haven't pressed the # button on the STB remote, which invokes stretch modes. Press it repeatedly until you get back to "normal".

And the following post, useful for those new to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-02-06, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks 57, yes and no it's not for #1 and nothing is stretched ('cept my SD!)

I mused this last night and I believe that before the update the STB was only sending 1080, and was set to HDMI/DVI. I never saw it display any other format, now it's sending the correct formats and I'm guessing the LCD (Dynex) is dumber then I thought as when I tried 1080 fixed I was still getting my SD in 16:9. So this weekend I shall try a few cable configs and see if that's right.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-02-06, 11:11 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
5. Make sure you're connected via an HD cable like HDMI or component video, that you're tuned to the appropriate input on the TV and not viewing via an SD one.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-02-06, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

oh but of course!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-02-07, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

not the STB

So the LCD is the issue
-I tried this direct from the STB, first with hdmi then with component
- ran the wizard auto, just 1080,as well as both fixed and pass through

With the LCD on 'normal', which should show both 4:3 and 16:9 depending on the source, SD is in 16:9 and HD ends up something like 3:3! It seems to be treating it like SD. With it set to 'wide' both are in 16:9

Now one thing that never worked was the digital clock, but I don't care about that, then I just plugged the cable direct into it, set it to cable, scanned for channels, and it gives me a couple of air channels, tried air but same thing.
So here's the thing, as a monitor,I have it set-up nice, it looks great, I'm worried if I bring it back and get another, I may get other problems, like with the screen, that I can't live with. 'Cause I can sure live with switching aspect when I do watch SD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in