BellTV 9242: Firmware V183 Discussion (EHD fixes) - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

It can only be used on the PVR. If you attach it with an unknown file system, the PVR will prompt to format it.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-19, 12:30 PM
Rookie

Receiver just killed EHD

I came home yesterday, the receiver did not display external hard drive any more. I was trying to archive my 30hr recordings in morning, but now EHD is not spinning any more. It's new Lacie 750G drive I bought 1 day ago.
I will try to exchange for another one, see how it will go.
post #78 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-21, 09:18 AM

Well I went ahead and purchased the Zdata 640GB drive and it was recognized and formatted fine. Gave me 85Hrs HD. I transferred a bunch of recordings and everything looked good.

I started watching an SD show (lower bandwith) and about 15 minutes in.....gasp...the dreaded disconnect message. How depressing.

I have firmware V183 , hw id RFHD-N and bootstrap 1714. Has anybody been able to get around the disconnect problem in 183 by doing anything other than swapping out the 9242 ? It has worked flawless for me for a year so far with almost zero audio drop outs and was brand new when I got it. (It's a rental). I would hate to swap it out for some beat up referb.

What about swapping USB cables ? Rebooting etc ? Anything like that work for anybody ?

post #79 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-22, 09:40 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmesa View Post
Well I went ahead and purchased the Zdata 640GB drive and it was recognized and formatted fine. Gave me 85Hrs HD. I transferred a bunch of recordings and everything looked good.

I started watching an SD show (lower bandwith) and about 15 minutes in.....gasp...the dreaded disconnect message. How depressing.

I have firmware V183 , hw id RFHD-N and bootstrap 1714. Has anybody been able to get around the disconnect problem in 183 by doing anything other than swapping out the 9242 ? It has worked flawless for me for a year so far with almost zero audio drop outs and was brand new when I got it. (It's a rental). I would hate to swap it out for some beat up referb.

What about swapping USB cables ? Rebooting etc ? Anything like that work for anybody ?
Chances are that you might have to swap the machine, the good thing is is that its a rental and they (Bell) have no choice but to give you what you pay for. I my self encountered eternal problems with my rented 9242 and Bell inturn sent me a refurbished one which kicks ass with no problems at all. My external HDDare a pair of Seagates 500Gb in a Nexstar MX encloseur and thus far, not a single problem. I think it might be worth it to get a refurbished one. I do know that Bell has swapped a ton of 9242s, there might be a bad batch in the Bell warehouse which Bell is trying to pawn off on their clients. God knows when it comes to Bell. As for the USB cable, I know there is a max length for the cable, I think its either 15 or 20 feet, the best is the shortest. rebooting would simply flush the RAM and reset the system not necessarly fixing the problem. Good luck
post #80 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-22, 10:39 AM
Rookie

Closed and EHD

I just talk to technical support and confirmed this.

If closed caption is enabled.

When you playback from External drive, you may have the disconneted error.

They are supposed to work on this...

RD
post #81 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-22, 12:36 PM

Here is an update:

I spent the morning talking to Bell India and the first guy (very nice , polite and efficient) instructed me to do the usual unplugging the EHD , doing a hard reset on the 9242 etc. Told me to try again and call back.

Well of course it happened again and I called them back and after he put me on hold for 5 mins or so , came back and said that its a known problem and they are working on it. He said there is nothing wrong with a my drive and that its a bell problem and they are working on a solution.

Well I have 14 days to return the drive to the store so now I am not sure what is the next step. Anybody else been told they are "working on it" ?
post #82 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-22, 06:04 PM

my first EHD disconnect

Well, I got my first EHD disconnect last night. Fortunately I had a backup of the movie on my MythTV, or my wife could have been quite upset.

Later, I hooked the drive up to my Kubuntu 8.04 desktop to check the status of its contents. The kernel first ran the ext3 journal file on both partitions, then mounted them, and I was able to check that the files appeared to still be there and looked to be OK. (Of course, the files on the EHD are known to be thoroughly encrypted, so I didn't bother trying to play them.)

When I reconnected the drive to the 9242 this morning, it behaved normally, and I let a 1 hour recording on the EHD play out to be sure. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to access the drive again from the 9242 at all, so this was a pleasant surprise.

But this will sure be annoying if it keeps happening.

Setup: 9242 Software: V183RFHD-N, Boot Strap: 1714RFHD; LaCie 500G Porche

/ashtonp
post #83 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-22, 07:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Here is an update:

I spent the morning talking to Bell India and the first guy (very nice , polite and efficient) instructed me to do the usual unplugging the EHD , doing a hard reset on the 9242 etc. Told me to try again and call back.

Well of course it happened again and I called them back and after he put me on hold for 5 mins or so , came back and said that its a known problem and they are working on it. He said there is nothing wrong with a my drive and that its a bell problem and they are working on a solution.

Well I have 14 days to return the drive to the store so now I am not sure what is the next step. Anybody else been told they are "working on it" ?
nothing is being worked on, as this is NOT a known issue by bell tv. Bell TV is not aware of any of this. please call back and request a supervisor if the agent tells you that again. there was a fan issue known on the 9242 after the version was updated, that was fixed the day it was adressed.
post #84 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-23, 10:16 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by superagent View Post
nothing is being worked on, as this is NOT a known issue by bell tv. Bell TV is not aware of any of this. please call back and request a supervisor if the agent tells you that again. there was a fan issue known on the 9242 after the version was updated, that was fixed the day it was adressed.
I call regularly to complain about the audio dropouts. They know about it. They say its a compatability issue. And the supervisor will tell you to use the analog audio output.

I'm very diappointed to hear from you that they aren't doing anything about it.

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
post #85 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-23, 12:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.F.1 View Post
I call regularly to complain about the audio dropouts. They know about it. They say its a compatability issue. And the supervisor will tell you to use the analog audio output.

I'm very diappointed to hear from you that they aren't doing anything about it.
Tom F1, I had exactly the same problem with my old 9242 and recieved the same crazy answer, I simply told them to ship me that is completely functional as thats what I paying for. I also made a call to customer retention and bitched to them for there lousy service and threaten to drop Bell all together and move to Star Choice. Bell inturn gave a 12 month reduction on my bill and I did recieve the new 9242 which works just fine. Good luck.
post #86 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-23, 12:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Here is an update:

dhmesa, I had that alot also until I fugured them out, SuperAgent is completely right when they say we are working on it. The reality of it all is that all tech calls are outsourced to India. There you will encounter level 1 tech support (that you have to go through, meaning reexplaining the whole thing allllllllll over again and again.VERY VERY ANNOYING). Took me some time to figure them out but I did, all you have to do is call customer retention log a complaint. Chances are you will recieve a fully functional 9242. I was on the brink on switcing to Star Choice so they were kind enough to give a 12 month rebate to keep me as a client. Next time you call Bell, call customer retention. Good luck
post #87 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 12:21 AM
Rookie

What is customer retention and how do you go about contacting them? I would really like to give them a piece of my mind. Thanks.
post #88 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 07:38 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsy200 View Post
What is customer retention and how do you go about contacting them? I would really like to give them a piece of my mind. Thanks.
Check out this thread.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48593
post #89 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-26, 10:52 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsy200 View Post
Customer Retention is one step further thatn customer service. What you should do is make a list of all that has happened (your dissatisfactions) call customer support for "Bell", not the particular service that your complaining about. After explaining (chances are for the 100th time), stop the agent short and insist that you want to talk to customer retention and when you talk to them, threaten that you will disconnect which ever service that you are unhappy with. See what happenes. Good luck.
post #90 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-26, 09:01 PM
Rookie

9200 Failing and needing to be replaced

Hello Everyone,

I'm a brand new member to this board and if I am posting this in the wrong thread, please direct me to the right one and I appologize in advance.

Here's the deal. I've got a 9200 that's been replaced a number of times, usually shortly after the warranty is up on it.

It starts out giving problems where it needs to search for sats to aquire signal (even though a number of other recievers are connected to the same dish and functioning properly), Once it get's signal and re-starts tv broad cast, it will last for a period of time, then go through the process again. Each cycle gets subsequently shorter until it won't grab signal at all. It eventually gets to the point where it will only light the 3rd green light from the left for a short period of time and then re-boots.

And yes, I have done all the trouble shooting per Bell's instructions. Many times over.

The only solution seems to be to replace the reciever, at a cost of $149.00. If you whine and cry loud enough they will give you some programming to offset the cost.

The latest episode started yesterday with the reciever finally giving it up today. It seems pretty coincidental when they just did a firmware upgrade that my reciever pukes. I was on the phone an hour tonight with them and they finally agreed to offset the entire price of the replacement that they are sending for my 4 mo old 9200. But it came with a stern warning that this would be the last out of warranty credit they would give me.

It must be pretty nice when you can sell product that fails over and over again and only back it with a 3 mo warranty. I'll bet statistics show they generally fail somwhere after the 3mo+ mark.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Do you think it was firmware that caused it? Has it happens to lots of people? Is there a possibility that we could launch a class action suit?

Any and all opinions or info will be greatly appreciated.

A satisfied Bell customer (NOT!).

Tags
9242 , belltv , ehd , expressvu , firmware , linux

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in