BellTV 9242: Firmware V183 Discussion (EHD fixes) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-04, 01:36 AM
Rookie

It's not working

new to the forum, just bought a Lacie 1Tb EHD archived 2 1hour shows on it. I'm having the exact same problem as Swiftpremium, try to play a program it would disconnect after a few minutes, tried to restore program to the 9242 and it would disconnect after 10-15 min. Tried rebooting the pvr by holding the power button for 10 seconds did not solve the problem, call bell for assistance and the tech told me to unplug the pvr from the outlet as if that would make a difference, he promised it would work, waste of time same result. Are there more people out there who are still having problems w/ disconnect issues even w/ the v183 firmware?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-04, 03:42 AM
Rookie

still disconnecting with v183

Sorry to hear ur having the same problem zenkeri. At least I know i am not the only one. I was able to watch 2 hours of a movie without disconnect, the movie was 3hrs and it was late so i could not see it to the end.

Today however I transferred chris rock "kill the messenger" just for another test as it is only 1 hr and something. YEP disconnected after 30 min

what could the problem be. do i have to reformat the lacie again because the receiver has a new firmware. Zenkeri it seems u reformated the lacie with the v183 firmware already there on your first use of it?

Anybody out there that can add some input? I was able to watch 2hrs with no problem but then today only 30min and then bye bye
post #48 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-04, 08:14 AM
jb1

Had numerous crashes last night trying to set up a vupass 'new' event timer for Two and a half men. I would set up the timer, hit create timer, and it would display the 'searching for events' window. Live program would continue to play in the background window, then video and audio would stop, and the machine reboot. Then when it came back up, the scheduled events info was unavailable for a few minutes. Then when I could finally view that info, the timers had been created as desired. Cancelling the same timer resulted in the exact same sequence of events, and did actually remove the timer properly in the end.

All these problems seem to have started a few days before the v183 rollout, but I did note that when I called the CSR originally he asked if I had 182 or 183. I think there may have been a beta rollout of 183, then an attempt to roll it back, then a full rollout of 183 to everyone. Not sure how this would work, or if it can/did actually happen, but whatever they did they put a serious SNAFU in the works of my machine.

Check switch crashed it. Download guide crashed it. Timer setup crashed it. Timer deletion crashed it. And it seems to be rebooting at random times throughout the day.

post #49 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-04, 03:54 PM
jb1

Replacement box seems to be working well. Linked and played from external HD from stomped upon 9242 without issues, so far.
post #50 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-04, 05:00 PM
Rookie

I've just spoke w/ 2 bell csr one of which is in the higher technical department, his only suggestion was to offer to send me a replacement 9242 so I'll see if that will work, as I did not want to loose my programs stored in my pvr I will archive all of it onto the ehd, he assured me that I will be able to access them when I get the new pvr, but for some reason I don't feel that reassured. One point of interest when I was on the "system info three" page the fifth line down says last connected 15-09-08 which is well before the new firmware update, don't know what it means but I would think they would have connected to my pvr if a firmware was updated? ps. the first rep. tried to sell me more programming. They can't even get what I'm paying for to work.
post #51 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-04, 09:27 PM
Rookie

Exclamation Some receivers still have problems

Just got of the phone with bell and they said that they are aware some receivers still have problems and some don't. Of course they said they're working on it and I will need to wait for "a few days". however no time frame was given.

The rep said they will modify the existing firmware v183. So it seems there are different batches of receivers out there. Of course I could not get a good one. Yes they tried to sell me programming as well but i agree first make sure the equipment works properly.

How can i spend more money when the money i already spent i havent enjoyed the full use of the $600 machine? They should offer some sort of gift such as ppv credit for all this inconvenience.
post #52 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-04, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

One other change I've notice with V183. My WD 1TB drive goes into sleep mode when it's idle. There used to be a noticeable delay when I pressed the PVR button for the first time. Now it goes directly to the PVR menu, and I only see the delay when I actually access the EHD.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #53 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-05, 07:17 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkeri View Post
One point of interest when I was on the "system info three" page the fifth line down says last connected 15-09-08 which is well before the new firmware update, don't know what it means but I would think they would have connected to my pvr if a firmware was updated?
Dialing out is only for PPV and "inventory" purposes and occurs every couple of months. Firmware updates come down the satellite feed and are not related to the phone line.
post #54 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-05, 09:02 AM
jb1

Different batches of 9242's definitely behave differently. My replacement seems to be working flawlessly wrt the EHD. I transferred all shows from old 9242 onto EHD, plugged EHD into new 9242, it recognized the drive as being associated with another receiver, updated it to work with the new receiver, and all programs have played flawlessly to this point on the new receiver (from the EHD, not transferred onto new receiver's HD).

My old 9242 was completely buggered up by the 183 software, with some issues that I had never experienced with the numerous 9200's or the limited time I had the original 9242 on v182.

I also noticed the lack of lag when accessing the PVR list while EHD is idle. Instead of waiting for the EHD to spin up, it simply displays the contents of the internal drive, and spins up the EHD in the background. I've also noticed a shorter lag in skip/restore function, and also the search for events after creating a timer. This may just be a by-product of my old 9242 being so buggy though.

FWIW, my EHD is an old Maxtor One Touch 160gb drive, that does go into standby. I get about 25 hours of HD with this little piece. Not bad for an otherwise (almost) useless little drive.
post #55 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-05, 10:13 AM

New 9242

Anyone notice choppy video with the 9242?

The other day I was watching an SD channel and noticed when I swapped over to tuner 2 the video on tuner 2 was ... "shaky" ... sort of skipping. Both tuners were live, tuner 1 was tuned to an SD channel as well. Chaning tuner 1 to HD channel made no difference, tuner 2 was still choppy. Changing tuner 2 to HD resulted in a clear not choppy video... change back to SD and choppy again.
I left the receiver on tuner 2 and power cycled, the problem switched, now tuner 2 was clear, but tuner 1 was choppy, again only when watching SD. I tried recording the choppy SD channel and it corrected most of the problem, only 'skipped' once in a minute or so.

What's going on???

My setup is 1 dish (500) into SW44, 2 feeds into 9242, both sats have decent signal strength 85+

??
post #56 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-05, 11:53 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
The tuners run completely independant. Often there are video and/or audio differences between them for legacy reasons. A reset usually returns both tuners to "normal" operation.
post #57 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-05, 05:52 PM

I've noticed I can now check the signal strength without the 9242 freezing up, as it often did before.
post #58 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-06, 05:13 AM
Rookie

I purchased my 9242 2months ago along with a Seagate 1TB drive using a Vantec enclosure. I also had the dreaded disconnect error after archiving a couple of HD football games. The EHD disconnected during playback and crashed several times while trying to restore archived recordings.

I called Bell technical support and was told they knew about the issue with the EHD and are working on a fix by end of October. I complained a little and was awarded a $25 credit on my next bill.

The firmware 183 seem to have fixed my EHD problems. I was able to restore my archived HD content back to receiver. I then archived some other programming that I didn't care to lose. Played it with no problems. I then archived a full HD football game. Played it with no problems as well. I did notice that the audio drop outs are still happening, but that doesn't really bother me. I hope they will address that with the next firmware update.

I feel for those who are still having issues with the 183 firmware. Hope it gets resolved soon.
post #59 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-06, 03:04 PM
Rookie

Does anyone know what versions of the 9242 are still having the EHD disconnect problem and which are not with v183 of the firmware?

I have a 9242 with a hardware ID of RFHD-N using v183 of the firmware and I still have the EHD disconnect problem using a Lacie 750 GB. I remember reading that some folks did not have the disconnect problem with 9242 that had a hardware Id of RFPD-N even using V182 of the firmware.

You can find your firmware via the Menu: 6-1-3-Next-Next.
post #60 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-07, 12:34 AM
Rookie

RFHD-N
And I still have disconnect problems

Tags
9242 , belltv , ehd , expressvu , firmware , linux

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in