BellTV 9242: Firmware V183 Discussion (EHD fixes) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-10-31, 11:33 AM

I haven't tried it, and I don't think I will either, I'll just simply leave my EHD on and trust that it won't break down. Would be nice to turn the thing off when I'm not using it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-10-31, 12:52 PM

The three strikes and you are out is still in place with V183. I just checked.
Obviously this is very unfair to those who have been through the trouble of multiple receiver changes like me, and lost all their recordings.
It was easy for Bell to reset the counters with V183. Why I wasn't expecting it...
post #33 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-10-31, 04:25 PM

Question 3 strikes?

what is the 3 strikes?

post #34 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-10-31, 07:39 PM
Rookie

3 Three strikes

The EHD can only be used on 3 BEV receivers. Those who have had to return receivers for malfunction issues burn up one of the three receivers. Sucks if you want to take your hard drive and play it on others receivers.

I believe this is purposeful to limit copyright issues but I am unsure.

John
post #35 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-01, 11:06 AM

My EHD which was filled and had the resets-receiver-on-access issue still happened with 183. I hooked the EHD up to my PC and wiped it, then let the 9242 reformat it for use.

I archived a show to the EHD as a test. Worked OK.

I tried to watch the show directly from the EHD - wouldn't work - too much stuttering.

I then tried to restore the show from the EHD, and it consistently gives an error 855 "error copying from the USB device".

So, although 183 has solved my restarting issues, and the EHD is able to sleep and wake OK as it is accessed, it's still not working with my Maxtor 300GB in a Vantec Nexstar enclosure.

If I was really a masochist I would buy a Lacie drive and try it, but I think the problem with viewing shows directly from the EHD has more to do with encryption overhead than USB bandwitdth limitations.

(shrug)
post #36 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-02, 01:29 AM
Rookie

This thread seems to still be having some confusing messages

My experience with V183 has been a big win. I bought the Lacie 1TB drive from Future Shop, with V182 I was getting disconnects after seconds using the EHD.

Now its at least delivering what Bell has promised... All HD I have archived over the last 2 weeks is playable on the drive... no freezing or hesitations..

The only thing I really wish it did was do the operations faster. To archive 1 Hour of HD take about 15 o 20 minutes... it will do it in the background... it would just be nice f it could do it faster.

The great news is i can record 1000 hours of standard or 130 hours of HD to the drive. BTW the new Lacie 1TB drive (single hard drive) compliments my Home Theatre it has a fantastic looking black housing and is far superior over any other drive I have seen.
post #37 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-02, 03:53 AM

Angry still getting diconnect

Is there something I am missing? The ext. hdd (lacie 750gb) still disconnects when trying to watch an archived movie with v183 firmware. i don't see too many new posts. Is it working for most people?

Anybody out there still getting the ext. hdd disconnect when trying to watch a movie from it?

does the the ext. hdd have to remain on at all times even when turning the receiver off at night? Do I have to reformat the ext. hdd with the recevier because of the new firmware or is this inconsequential?

Last edited by SWiFTPRemiuM; 2008-11-02 at 04:34 AM. Reason: additions made
post #38 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-02, 02:13 PM
Rookie

Anyone tried it with an Archos machine and the new version?

Okay, now that they have "fixed" the EHD issue, we are looking at purchasing an Archos Personal Media Player so that we can take our recorded programs with us on holidays.

Anyone have any feedback ??? If you have an Archos, does it work with the 9242, and do you have any problems?

Thanks in advance,

Linda
post #39 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-02, 03:48 PM
Rookie

still disconnects

I too am still getting diconnects viewing archived recordings. V183 and Lacie 750.
post #40 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-02, 05:47 PM
Premium Supporter

One other thing that appears to be fixed with this new version, I have noticed that my receiver no longer goes into standby mode every night.

Glad they also fixed that; a bit of a pain as sometimes I wouldn't have a receiver remote handy. Also I set TVs on auto timers when I'm on vacation; partly for security but also to keep pets company. It will be nice to not have to set auto timers all the time when I'm gone.

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't."
post #41 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-02, 07:49 PM
jb1

Crashed when I tried to do a check switch (it had to cancel a recording in progress to do the check switch, then it pulled a Bill Gates and just hanged). Then after re-booting and running the check switch and downloading the guide, only two days of EPG was there. It crashed again when I tried to scroll forward by 24 hours (using the skip forward 30 seconds button while in EPG). I'm hoping this is just my individual 9242, as it is being replaced already, but this can't all be just a big coincidence.
post #42 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-03, 03:06 AM
Rookie

No disconnects with my drive any longer

The drive that I am using that works is the 1TB LaCie Hard Disk by Neil Poulton... product code 301304U.. not sure why you would be still having disconnect issues with the 750 GB.. Also replaced the short cable it came with and added a Geek Squad gold plated high speed USB cable in its place. Lots of problems with V182... no issues with V183 with my EHD... watched 4 hours of HD continuous tonight.
post #43 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-03, 07:34 AM
jb1

Rebooted at least twice this morning while in standby. When I tried to watch live tv, the pic and audio came up, but I couldn't pull up the guide, change channel, check show info, etc. Receiver then locked up and rebooted again. No external drive attached. Hoping Purolator shows up today with a replacement that works.

Last edited by jb1; 2008-11-03 at 10:25 AM. Reason: question answered in faq's thread
post #44 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-03, 07:40 AM
Member #1

Quote:
Anyone have any feedback ??? If you have an Archos, does it work with the 9242, and do you have any problems?
No. See the final post in this thread. If it changes then we will create a new thread.

post #45 of 273 (permalink) Old 2008-11-03, 09:29 PM

I recorded the Papa Roach concert last night on HD Net. Had 1 audio dropout for about 4 seconds during the one song I really wanted. Other than that seemed good.

Tags
9242 , belltv , ehd , expressvu , firmware , linux

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in