9242 Shorting Out Phone Line (False Alarm - Plugged in incorrectly - See Post 7) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-10-02, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

9242 Shorting Out Phone Line (False Alarm - Plugged in incorrectly - See Post 7)

All my phones in the house were dead. Found this out when trying to send a fax.
Apparently been dead for days.
After much searching, finally unplugged the Bell box in the bedroom.
The NEW 9242 shorts out all phones. The reciever is 2 weeks old. I know it didn't short them all out before because i spent last friday on the phone with bell support.
So, is it fixable or do i take it back to bestbuy?

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-10-03, 12:02 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Do you use the 9242 to order movies? If not, simply leave it unplugged from the phone line? I assume that it doesn't do any permanent damage, just prevents use of the phones when it's plugged into the phone line? Perhaps a setting in the PVR that's incorrect - trying to dial out all the time?

Do you have POTS phone or Voip or anything special?

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-10-03, 12:03 AM
Member #1

Just to be sure, have you plugged a regular phone into the jack to ensure that its not the jack? Do you have a DSL blocker on that phone. Have you plugged the 9242 into another phone jack?
Quote:
Do you use the 9242 to order movies? If not, simply leave it unplugged from the phone line?
TEchnically, that voids your agreement with Bell and its a new box so it should work.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-10-03, 06:37 AM
Veteran

Quote:
The reciever is 2 weeks old.
AProblem is, no matter how old your receiver is they will still ship you a refurbish, NOT A BRAND NEW receiver. ç
If it works when you disconnect it from the phone line I would says keep this receiver, cause the one they would send will probably be worse.
It comes in a wrapped package and looks brand new, but it still his a refurbish

I answer based on what I learned when I was working at BEV...it's possible that somethings have changed since then
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-10-03, 07:56 AM
Rookie

I have had that problem with my 9200 for about 6 months now.

I never normally plug in the phone line but as we have Caller ID, it made sense to have that info pop up on screen. Worked fine for about 2 months, then we went about 4 days without a single phone call, not even a telemarketer, so I started by disconnecting the internal lines at the demarcation point. Line worked. As I only have 1 phone and the 9200, I disconnected the 9200, immediately got Dial Tone. I have just left it like that ever since.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-10-03, 08:22 AM
jb1

My 9200 did this after a power surge (or whatever) in a lightning storm. It worked perfectly before the storm, but acted as if it was always trying to get a connection (dialing out) afterwards. Bell replaced the receiver for me since I have dishcare. Phones worked fine with the replacement. The surge did not affect the DPP LNB's or my switch or separators, but it did kill my router and network port on my printer--so it obviously came through the phone lines.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-10-03, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Sorry guys, false alarm. Yes, it did kill all the phone lines.
but, it turns out my wife had unplugged the cable on the back to neaten up the cords and plugged the phone line into the network jack.

I have a great wife, but she'll never be an installer.

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-10-05, 09:09 AM
Rookie

Too funny Tom.....

I think she could be an installer with some of the attempts I have seen over the years.....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-11-01, 11:32 AM
Rookie

Yesterday, after moving the home theatre setup to a new shelving unit, everything worked just the same, except the 9242 phone connection. When plugged in, all the phones showed there was a line in use.I unplugged the phone line from the 9242 and all the phones worked fine. Suspecting the 9242 phone line itself, I plugged it into an old corded phone; the phone worked perfectly.
The senior IT guy said they would investigate and get back to me, but since the unit works fine I don't think I'll have it replaced and have what some have suggested would be a refurb. Other than the caller id feature I don't see the advantage of having it connected.
Why a simple, careful move of a few feet would cause such a glitch is baffling.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-11-01, 02:24 PM

Make sure you did not plug the phone line into the ethernet port on the 9242. It has happened to the best of us
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-11-01, 03:20 PM
Rookie

Thanks Kandkt, but nobody reading this web site would make such an obvious mistake, would they?
Phone works just fine now with telephone line plugged into the phone jack.
Thanks again, Kandkt.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-11-01, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks Kandkt, but nobody reading this web site would make such an obvious mistake, would they?
Phone works just fine now with telephone line plugged into the phone jack.
I am just glad that I discovered this before I called the phone company ... man would that have been an embarassing service call. Glad I could help.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-11-02, 03:40 PM
Rookie

house phones were out

made the same mistake of plugging into the wrong port on the pvr, hours later I found the mistake (things happen) boy is my face red
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-11-03, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I feel better knowing i'm not the only one...

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-11-03, 01:36 PM
Rookie

Make a mistake yourself, and it's so obvious how it was made. As opposed to the other posters I did call Bell TV and spoke to a "senior IT". I'm surprised he didn't suggest that the line just might be plugged into the wrong jack as the first suggestion for a fix since the symptoms are so obvious, similar, maybe even more common than we thought.

Tags
9242 , bell tv , expressvu , phone line

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in