BellTV 9242: Firmware V182 Discussion (Enabling of External Hard Drive) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-07, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

BellTV 9242: Firmware V182 Discussion (Enabling of External Hard Drive)

Quote:
Expand your recording capacity in 3 easy steps:

1. Buy the LaCie 750GB external hard drive (EHD) online or at any Bell store
2. Plug the EHD into the USB Port on your HD PVR
3. Transfer your PVR recordings to the EHD

To connect the EHD to you receiver:

1. Plug in the EHD power source and connect the EHD USB into the USB port on 9242 HD PVR Plus
2. If the hard drive has never been connected to a receiver before, the receiver will ask you if you want to format the EHD- select Yes to format
3. You can now use your EHD
Effective August 8th

Last edited by hugh; 2008-08-08 at 08:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-07, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Press the MENU button on your remote, then press 4 for the Multimedia option.

You can then access the External Hard Drive by choosing Option #3 (External USB Device/External Hard Drive) on the Multimedia screen. The External Hard Drive must be connected to select it.

From the External Hard Drive menu, you have 2 options:

* Select Manage Recordings to see a list of programs stored on the EHD.
* Select Archive Recordings to transfer PVR events from the My Recordings list to the EHD.

Last edited by hugh; 2008-08-08 at 08:21 AM.
post #3 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-07, 07:35 PM

Also noted in August "Show" magazine

Page 54 of the August issue of "Show" has a short article on it.
"ExpressVu's HD PVR receivers accept any external hard drive with a USB 2.0 connection and up to 750GB of storage. Call 1 888 xxx-xxxx or go to <web page> to activate the external hardware function, then simply plug in your new drive and you're off."

post #4 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 01:57 AM

Change of plans. You will not need to call in to activate the external drive for archiving recorded events. Once you download the supported software (V182) for your 9242, simply plug in a powered USB 2.0 drive (that falls under the outlined requirements that should be on bell.ca) and enjoy.

Software is going out global so everyone gets it at launch

This is our first crack at it so feedback is welcome as usual but please be kind with your comments

Dags
post #5 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 10:18 AM

I wonder if you'll be able to "view" these files on a regular computer? Or if not how long that will take. Not that any of us would do such a thing

One's rights and freedoms end precisely where they infringe upon anothers. Sir Wilfred Laurier
post #6 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 10:43 AM

You won't be able to view the files on a computer. The formatting of the drive is not FAT or NTFS but rather something proprietary.

Has anybody tried it yet, and if so, what do you think?
post #7 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 11:09 AM

Wonder if this will now give you UNLIMITED capacity.
Can you use multiple drives, like say during the olympics if you recorded everything - then archive the drive and then keep adding new drives as you fill them up ?
post #8 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 11:19 AM

Yes. It's like having a library of VHS (or Beta) tapes. However now, it's a library of hard drives.

I'll try to have a drive with movies, then another for special events.
post #9 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 11:30 AM
Rookie

Guys i just tested this with an old external Maxtor that i had laying around.

So you definitely don't HAVE To buy the LaCie model at the bell store. Has anyone tried connecting a HDD that is >750GB
post #10 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 11:51 AM
Veteran

This is the feature that I have been waiting for. Guess it is time to ditch my 9200 and get the new unit. Since my contract has expired and I am still renting, I can tell them I am leaving and see what they offer me!

Of course, if Prentice and my beloved Conservatives get their way, this hard-drive archiving feature will make us all criminals.
post #11 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 12:12 PM

Ok so there is NO activation fee for the new feature? And its been confirmed that non Lacie drives work?

All I need is a 750gb or smaller USB self powered HDD and im good?

Also, how do I download the new firmware? Is it automatic?

Sony KDS-60A2000, Sony Playstation 1/2/3 (60gig) and PSP, Sony STR-DG910, Pioneer/Sony 7.1, 39 PS3 Games, 120 BR movies
post #12 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 12:30 PM
Rookie

^^^ The receiver automatically formatted the HDD for me. I tested with a Maxtor 200GB HDD.

Anyone try anything higher than 750GB? I wanna get a TB HDD but i was told the max is 750GB
post #13 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 01:07 PM

For those wanting to do some permanent archiving of movies, events, etc. there are a few questions to consider.

When a drive is formatted by a particular receiver, is it tied to that receiver or can it be hooked up to any receiver with the appropriate firmware? You would hope it would be portable like any computer external hard drive, but we are talking proprietary here.

If you ever leave Bell, you would have to hold on to your receiver to play your archive, and once it dies...

Of course, all this would be rendered moot if (and when) somebody comes up with a way to transfer files easily.
post #14 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewSat
The formatting of the drive is not FAT or NTFS but rather something proprietary.
I don't think it is proprietary, probably the same as Dish's PVR and that would mean ext3.
It is more than just one partition/logical drive. Probably connecting to a Linux box would tell you more.

If the files are encrypted, pulling them from the drive won't do any good.
post #15 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 07:05 PM

Thumbs up

I connected a 200GB WD PATA drive in an older Bytecc USB 2.0 enclosure. It works fine.

Archiving is a little slow, typically about 40% of real time. The 9242 will archive in the background if you select Watch TV while shows are being archived.

The archive process can be halted but returning to the Archive Recordings menu. There is a short delay before the process actually stops.
Closed Thread

Tags
9242 , belltv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in