BellTV 9242: Firmware V182 Discussion (Enabling of External Hard Drive) - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-15, 01:55 AM

Quote:
That's ludicrous. Is that 3 or 4 unique 9242 units or simply 3 or 4 moves? I would be shocked to have multiple drives moving between two units in my home and suddenly have the drive re-formatted.
I agree. I started on my first 9242, moved to the second, then back to the first, then back to the second, and then back to the first and the drive re-formatted.

Hugh, can you check with your Bell contacts to see if this is an interm software issue or if they will be correcting in a future version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-15, 03:36 AM

Swapping

I have been following the discussion regarding those who have tried to move their EHDs between receivers and are being reformatted.

This bothers me. Is this the whole story?

What about swapping multiple EHDs with just one receiver? Does that kind of swapping also trigger a reformat? Also, does the EHD just reformat, or does it ask for permission to reformat?
post #78 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-15, 03:49 AM
Rookie

While playing shows from the EHD the picture freeze's quite often for about 30sec.,I have WD My Book 1 TB Home Edition is this drive any good for this purpose?Is anybody else having this problem?

post #79 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-15, 10:00 AM

Quote:
What about swapping multiple EHDs with just one receiver? Does that kind of swapping also trigger a reformat? Also, does the EHD just reformat, or does it ask for permission to reformat?
It asked for permission to do so. I guess you could go back to the previous 9242 and restore the programming to it before letting it re-format, but that is not how I wanted to use it.

I don't know if you can use multiple hard drives on a single machine. My intent was to do this, but I don't know if I want to try it now.
post #80 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-15, 11:54 AM
Rookie

pdm869 - re: HD freezing

I had this same problem with my hard drive the first night I installed it. I am using a Comstar 500GB drive. I called Express VU (err Bell TV) support and explained the problem. The technician consulted a college and send some magic fairy dust to my receiver and asked me to reboot in 15 minutes. I reset the PVR in 15 minutes and have not seen the external hard drive freeze since.

When mine would freeze the receiver would tell me that my HD device was not recognized.

I'd suggest giving them a call, it worked for me.

s
post #81 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-15, 11:59 AM

supergenius said:
Quote:
So far my Trekstor 1Tb has been working great for playback & archiving and its a 5400 rpm WD Green Drive. So I wouldn't say you "require" a 7200 drive based on my experience.
Oh, that's good news then.

The 7200 rpm I was referencing is only because I come from a video editing perspective and you need the speed and an 8mb buffer for effective editing of multiple streams of DV.

Cool, then.

Thanks for the info sg & granduncle.

Looking forward to Monday when we get our 9242.

sincerely,

MT
post #82 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-16, 12:23 AM

Redundant Arrays

I'm not certain that my previous question was answered. Namely, is there a limit to the number of EHDs that can be used with a single receiver?

Also, has anyone tried a server like HP sells? Or a RAID configuration? I noticed someone referencing using a HDD which had 2 platters. Usually such drives can be configured as RAID 0 or RAID 1.

FWIW, I did speak with a Shaw Tech Support person about the liklihood of such drives being connected to the Shaw PVR. He said that there were no plans current for such a service. He said that programmng rights would have to be modified and also Motorola would have to develop software to activate their USB connections. To his knowledge, neither is occurring.
post #83 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-16, 01:30 AM
Premium Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandkt View Post
It asked for permission to do so. I guess you could go back to the previous 9242 and restore the programming to it before letting it re-format, but that is not how I wanted to use it.
This could just be some sort of regulation that they need to follow. Consider this, I subscribe to some $130 package and you just have the $32 one. I record a bunch of stuff for you and give you the drive. We swap the drive back and forth therefore circumventing you paying for programming.

Granted, sounds like a huge pain for somebody to save a few bucks, but it may be as there could have been some legal reason and this allows it.

Could be worse, they could have made it so you can't swap drives along anyway.

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't."
post #84 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-16, 02:30 AM
Veteran

Yeah, I am ecstatic this feature has been introduced at all. I can't believe all the hate out for this! We have just gone from some 30 hrs of HD recording to virtually unlimited.

I don't think it was ever meant to be used as a portable transfer system, just extra capacity, which I whole-heartedly welcome.
post #85 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-16, 03:08 AM

Quote:
I don't think it was ever meant to be used as a portable transfer system, just extra capacity, which I whole-heartedly welcome.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the extra "storage" capacity, but here is a quote from the latest Show Magazine:

"Got another PVR at the cottage? Throw your portable hard drive into the truck next holiday weekend and catch up on all your shows you don't have time for in the city"
post #86 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-16, 11:32 AM
Veteran

Ahhh... I never read that. Then definitely it is not living up to expectations and everyone can go back to being mad! Not a big deal for me since I only have one box and TV!
post #87 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-16, 11:38 AM

I think if you could use it with any receivers on your account this would alleviate the concern about sharing it with other customers. To me the biggest advantage of being able to do this is if you have to have your unit replaced.

Show Magazine placed an online retraction to the earlier printed statement.

cheers
post #88 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-16, 12:52 PM
Bio

So i read this thread and went and found some old stuff lying about.

tried to connect a 2.5" laptop drive, no luck so as they say it needs to be externally powered.

Tried an old 80gb and it worked

Archived a bunch of stuff to the drive, worked, I will try to figure out the timing and Gigs per hour and post more later

what I didn't expect was that the recordings moved to the external and removed from the PVR

I played right from the drive and it worked no problem, i had a bit of a glitch when FF at 300X locked up the whole PVR for about 60 seconds but then all was well. consigering the drive I am using is really old it might not be able to keep up.

I am going to put something not so important on the drive and see what I can see form a computer
post #89 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-16, 09:10 PM
Bio

well I have a couple of places to mount ext3/ext2 at best it sees the drive as empty.

any thoughts?
post #90 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-17, 12:51 PM
Bio

I'll have to load an Ubuntu 7.10 and try but the other one does not work for sure.
Closed Thread

Tags
9242 , belltv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in