BellTV 9242: Firmware V182 Discussion (Enabling of External Hard Drive) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 11:14 AM
Veteran

From anybody who has an external drive working, I'd like to know if I can use the same drive for archiving PVR and for Archiving from our laptops?

After the drive is formatted buy the PVR, will it still work on my PC? Or would it need to be formatted again?

Thanx in advance

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Just to be clear here is the ext drive just to archive? Like can't you have shows record directly to the ext drive?
Say I go on vacation and and I reach the 30hr hd limit on recorded shows on the internal drive will it erase the oldest shows like it always did?
It appears that you must archive individual recordings. When the internal is full, you can not record any more without deleting some. This is a big down side to this unit as compared to the Rogers HD PVR, which allows recording to both the internal and external drives. The receiver automatically chooses to record on whichever drive has more space available. All recordings, on both drives, appear in the list of recorded shows. The user never has to do any transferring between drives. This seems much more user-friendly. Also, the Rogers unit works with a eSata cable, which is way faster than USB. Otherwise, the two seem comparable.
post #48 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 12:22 PM

Quote:
From anybody who has an external drive working, I'd like to know if I can use the same drive for archiving PVR and for Archiving from our laptops?

After the drive is formatted buy the PVR, will it still work on my PC? Or would it need to be formatted again?
The 9242 will format all existing data/file system from the drive, so it really can't be used for the two.

The file system used by the PVR is ext3, which cannot be natively seen by a windows OS.

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood

post #49 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 02:25 PM

Back up of achived drive?

I guess the only way to make sure you don't lose video on the disk drive is to make a copy in case one dies. Other that copying from the PVR to 2 USB drives before deleting the show on the PVR has anyone tried using a disk copy utility within Lenox?

I guess if the PVR dies you lose all your video anyways as I understand that the USB drive will only work with the PVR on which the show was originally recorded.
post #50 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 04:42 PM

Economics

I am an Expressvu SD customer and a Shaw HD customer.

The reason for this is the active Firewire port on the Shaw box. I connect via Firewire to a DVHS VCR and archive any interesting HD programming to tapes. The DVHS VCR outputs via component video. My longer term hope is that a standalone Blu-Ray DVD recorder will become available and I can copy the tapes over to Blu-Ray disks at some point.

The tapes are getting hard to get and I had to order a couple of boxes from NY recently. They cost $8/tape and each tape can hold 2.5 hours of the best quality of programming. (The DVHS VCR is capable of recording at about 28 megabits/second (from memory) and does record 5.1 audio.)

From reading this thread, it appears that a 750-Gig HDD will hold about 100 hours of HD programming, or the equivalent of about 40 tapes and at $8/tape, the total tape cost is over $300.

So clearly the HDD archiving is cheaper.

The tapes, though, don't require formatting and are not locked to any playback device. Shelf space for HDDs would also be less than that required by the appropriate number of tapes.

I wonder what would happen if I archived 3 or 4 HDDs with Expressvu programming on them and then, after a year or so, connected one of the HDDs to a receiver. Presumably within that time period, the receiver's firmware would have been updated. Would the HDDs still be playable, or would a new firmware require a new formatting?

I did stop in a local Bell store and they had no HDDs available and claimed that the only HDD that could be connected had to be purchased from Bell. Clearly, from reading this thread, this claim is untrue.

Also, one question that is not clearly answered in this thread is whether or not parts of recorded programs can be archived. E.g., eliminating commercials or retaining only highlights of sports programs.
post #51 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 04:52 PM
Rookie

Smile

Springle said;
Quote:
Also, one question that is not clearly answered in this thread is whether or not parts of recorded programs can be archived. E.g., eliminating commercials or retaining only highlights of sports programs.
An interesting question but I am guessing here, I don't have the 9242 yet, is that you can only archive what you have recorded. So if you record the entire show, then you can only archive the entirs show, commercials and all.

The idea of being able to "edit" the recordings onto the Ext HDD is a great idea and one i am sure that will be available, if the files ever become accessible with a PC.
post #52 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Several Notes:
  • First, archiving is an all or nothing option, there are no editing features.
  • Second, I doubt a firmware update would ever change the file system in a way that would make the external drives unusable on your 9242. I would suggest that if you archive from your 9242 today, you will be able to play it back on your 9242 forever.
  • Third, I assume the file system could change on subsequent PVR models so I wouldn't expect to necessarily be able to playback an archived show from the 9242 on the next generation of HD PVR.

post #53 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 06:44 PM

Hard Drive Enclosure (confused:)

I am about to buy a new HD PVR (924x). Which enclosure should I buy? The quietest is the most important feature. I will get either a 750Gb or 1TB.

JF:
post #54 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 09:15 PM

Most external drives/enclosures are very quiet. The only one I would avoid is the LaCie 1TB. The 750GB drive from Bell is not a bad deal and is probably the best choice if you are unsure. You might be able to get a better deal by watching for sales at big box stores. Most major brands of external drives should work. If it doesn't, or is too noisy, just return it.

If I were buying, I would opt for a lower power Hitachi or WD 1TB or 750GB drive in a NexStar3 case. The low power drives use only half as much power, are quieter, run much cooler and should last longer.
post #55 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 10:04 PM

I don't think you could build your own with an external enclosure for less than that Trekstor at Futureshop (1TB for $159).
post #56 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 11:02 PM

That is a good deal. However, I've seen 1TB drives on sale for $130, 750GB drives for $95, NexStar3 cases for $25 and other cases as low as $15. As I said, there are also other advantages to building your own. Some drives consume less energy (which saves money) and some cases are better quality than those used for ready made external drives. Some drives just shouldn't be put in external cases because the power they consume causes overheating.
post #57 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 03:02 AM

I just installed an external hard drive USB docking station ($40) and a 640GB SATAII hard drive ($90). Total investment is $130 and I get an additional 85 hours of HD storage capacity!

I am able to use the device on both of my 9242's. I am going to buy an additional USB docking station and just move the hard drive itself between the two units as necessary. Works great, the only thing I would like to see improved is the ability to record directly to the external drive. Other than that, so far, so good.
post #58 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 04:25 AM

I may have spoken too soon. I seem to be able to archive shows from both 9242's onto the same hard drive, but am now having playback issues. I re-booted my one reciever and can now watch all the shows originally recorded on that PVR, but not from the other one.

Anyone else try this yet? It was working at first, but can't seem to get it to work again.
post #59 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 07:52 PM

We're excited to see the interest in the External Hard Drive feature. Just to clear up a few questions that we’ve seen in this thread…

You do not need to purchase the LaCie drive from Bell; we have tested this device and do recommend it but here are the requirements that will help ensure your own external drive works properly with the 9242:

- USB 2.0 External Hard Drive between 40-750GB, 7200RPM

- Externally powered (ie with an AC adapter)

- Single disk (double disks are not supported)

- “Sleep” mode on the EHD is not supported

- DIY enclosures are not formally supported (but generally work fine)

Also in response to andyk’s post – pressing “Cancel” on the remote will cause the transfer to stop. You will need to use the directional controls on the remote to highlight “View TV” and press “Select” on the remote. The transfer will continue in the background. (To check on its progress, press menu-4-3-2 and the dialog box will reappear)
post #60 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 07:53 PM

Can the Hard Drive add-on which you've recorded via 9242 then be plugged into 6100 HD receiver for viewing on a different TV?
Closed Thread

Tags
9242 , belltv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in