BellTV 9242: Firmware V182 Discussion (Enabling of External Hard Drive) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 07:07 PM

I'm a little confused, does this feature only work with the Lacie drive, or can we use any of our own EHDD's and it will format them to the right file system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 07:30 PM

It appears to work with many external USB 2.0 drives. The 9242 will format the drive when it is connected.
post #18 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

I hooked up a generic USB external drive this morning and it was formatted in seconds.

Drive works fine.

post #19 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 11:07 PM

I too would like to know why 750 gb is the limit? If the drive is ext3, then I don't see a reason for it.

I am wondering if the HD PVR isn't a better thing to add on to a 9242, since you can then put the files on your computer, (only $50 more than the 750 gb usb drive)

http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

But I'd like to hear more reviews of this USB HD support first. I'd hate to start relying on a proprietary format external HD only to find it is buggy and end up losing programming.
post #20 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 11:52 PM
Veteran

Tried a LaCie 1 TB drive!

Stopped by a Future Shop and a Bell World store tonight, but neither had any of the Bell branded LaCie USB drives in stock. FS had a 1 terabyte LaCie USB disk, so I decided to try that (I know about the 750GB limit). Plugged it in, formatted, reboot, finished. It claims I have space for 133 Hours of HD, or 1000 hours of SD, so I believe that’s the entire disk. I thought it might format it out as a 750 GB disk.

The LaCie disk is a black chassis, and seems fairly quiet during the archive process anyway. It does have a bright blue LED that might become annoying. I suppose I could turn it away from me, or move it behind my AV cabinet. It doesn’t need to be sitting out front.

I archived the 2 hour Simpsons movie to see how it works. It claimed it would take 27 Minutes, 51 seconds. Actual time was about 25 minutes so that’s pretty close! You don’t have to wait for it though; you can select View TV and have it finish in the background. If you return to the Archive Program option, it displays the progress bar again, until finished. All the regular fast forward, skip forward, pause features seem to work.

Ouch – the internal cooling fan just started making one hell of a racket! It keeps starting, grinding away, then stops, repeats after a few minutes. Looks like this one is going back! It’s too noisy to do anymore testing; it was going so well too. I'm using the Restore Option to move the recording back to the internal hard disk, so I don't loose it. I hope the fans aren't a common problem it these things. Why do they always make those things so cheap!

Edit: Took slightly longer to restore the event, about 35 minutes. A popup appeared to tell me it was finished.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X

Last edited by scrooloose; 2008-08-09 at 12:23 AM.
post #21 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-09, 12:04 AM
Veteran

My fan problems aside, I hope this is an example of the new Bell! I was expecting to have to pay a fee to activate the external disk or call in to activate it. This is great!

I like the fact that you can connect multiple drives for lots of archive storage, but I would like to know that I could use those recordings on a replacement 9242, if that ever happens. I suppose the difficulty here is that I could give the programming to someone else to watch, possibly programming they haven't paid for. It's a dilemma but I hope Bell can find a way around that.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #22 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-09, 12:35 AM

IIRC, the Dish version of this feature allows playback from external hard drives by any receiver in your account.
Doesn't mean BeV will do it too, but just shows it is doable...
post #23 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-09, 02:29 AM

Limits....

1. There's a possibility of a hard drive being hooked to a maximum of THREE 9242 receivers before it needs to be formatted again!

To clarify, you can move videos between three (3) 9242's, but if you connect a 4th 9242, it may ask for a re-format before you can archive/restore!

Someone can give this a shot to confirm...

2. For some that are still confused, any brand external hard drive would work as long as it is meets the requirement:
- USB 2.0
- Self Powerred Externally (not powerred by USB port)
- Minimum 40 GB to Maximum 750 GB (above 750gb according to bell is incompatible YMMV)

3. Also only 1 drive can be connected at a time since there are 2 USB ports (front/back). The one connected second would give error or not work.
post #24 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-09, 12:30 PM

I can confirm that 1TB drives work! I have my 1tb Trekstor hooked up and its showing 133 Hrs HD available. The great thing about this drive is that its the quietest and coolest drive available. And its cheap. Part of WD Green series. Great job Bell!
post #25 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-09, 01:03 PM
AFF

Just to be clear here is the ext drive just to archive? Like can't you have shows record directly to the ext drive?
Say I go on vacation and and I reach the 30hr hd limit on recorded shows on the internal drive will it erase the oldest shows like it always did?

I still use a 9200 since it has worked flawless from day of release and if the 9242 will only reocrd 30hrs still there's not much point upgrading untill I have to.
post #26 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-09, 04:51 PM

The external drive is for archiving only. Direct recording is not possible.

I hooked up a 500GB WD SATA drive in a NexStar 3 enclosure. It formatted to a capacity of 66 hours of HD. I also tried connecting 2 drives simultaneously and rebooted the 9242. It only recognized the drive on the front USB port. Powering down the 9242 and the drive, then power cycling the other drive and turning on the 9242 made the other drive visible... It looks like switching drives can be as simple as powering down one drive and powering up another.

Last edited by I_Want_My_HDTV; 2008-08-09 at 05:23 PM.
post #27 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-09, 05:01 PM

Since 1TB seems to be working, the next step would be to try a RAID box with a USB connector. It might support 4-5TB as well...
post #28 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-09, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergenius View Post
I can confirm that 1TB drives work! I have my 1tb Trekstor hooked up and its showing 133 Hrs HD available. The great thing about this drive is that its the quietest and coolest drive available. And its cheap. Part of WD Green series. Great job Bell!
Thanks for the tip. I just bought this drive at a great price at Future Shop and it works like a charm. This is a great feature addition to the 9242. Now all I need is the connection to the Archos to occur.

Pete
post #29 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-09, 05:25 PM

Talking

How about a Drobo with 4x1TB drives?
post #30 of 330 (permalink) Old 2008-08-09, 06:58 PM

If 1TB drives work, why would bell say there is a 750gb limit? Maybe it says it will hold 133 hours HD, but starts to screw up when you fill 99 hours (750gb)?
Closed Thread

Tags
9242 , belltv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in