9242 - Keeping it from Going into Standby Every Night - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-07-13, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

9242 - Keeping it from Going into Standby Every Night

It appears the 9242 will FORCE itself to update everyday (stupid) and after it's done, it will go into standby mode (also stupid). Does the non PVR HD BEV unit also have this exact same behaviour? My 3100 did not ever do this in 3 yrs, so this came as a surprise.

Is there anyway to prevent the upgrade, or in the least, make it so that after it reboots, it goes straight back to normal TV AND NOT STANDBY?

(the reason this is such a problem is that I am feeding the outputs of the 9242 into a recorder on my PC, and it controls the 9242 with an IR blaster: just sends channel numbers which does not get it out of standby)

thanks
Ben

Last edited by ben_95sl1; 2008-07-13 at 08:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-07-13, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I think I've already come up with a solution: Tested it once and seems to have worked.

Set an autotune daily timer for EXACTLY the same time as the update is scheduled. The update/update notice/standby did not come up and hopefully will be gone forever now. Will report back if unfixed.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-07-13, 10:13 AM

you may want to watch for random freezing then. I've noticed that if I have a recording set for around the 3am update time that the next day my PVR will become completely unresponsive. The only solution is to unplug for a a bit (5 or 10 minutes) then go through a checkswitch, etc.

The end result is that I usually see a recording that last a few hours long that doesn't actually play at all and has to be deleted.

One's rights and freedoms end precisely where they infringe upon anothers. Sir Wilfred Laurier

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-07-14, 05:16 AM

Very STUPID.

I turn updates off and then do a reset by holding the on/off button for longer than 5 seconds once a month.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-07-14, 07:19 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Personally, I don't see what the problem is. Updates are available for a reason. I'd prefer the unit download the EPG at 3:00am rather than when I go to use it.

If you are using the unit for a purpose not intended by the manufacturer (output to your tv) then you shouldn't really be upset that this doesn't work 100% as you expect it to. The proper solution is of course to get your IR blaster to simply turn the unit on/off as required.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-07-14, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I agree updates are useful, but they should give you the option to disable. People with Slingboxes would run into the same issue as I am having.

If it can't handle recording 24 hrs of the day, or setting an autotune to the same time as update I will find that very amusing.

thanks

Ben
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 01:35 PM

Quote:
The proper solution is of course to get your IR blaster to simply turn the unit on/off as required.
That would be fine if the 92xx series had discreet on/off codes. Otherwise, it won't work reliably.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV View Post
That would be fine if the 92xx series had discreet on/off codes. Otherwise, it won't work reliably.
Hi Robert I have discrete on and off working with my 9242.

Pete
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 06:08 PM

Thumbs up

Please post or PM a link. Is it for a One-for-All?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-07-16, 12:08 AM

Hi Robert these codes are in the Universal Remote Control (MX-980,MX-900,Mx-850,etc) IR database. I used the Dish 942 codes and the discrete on and off worked for the 9242

Cheers
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-07-17, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosborne View Post
Personally, I don't see what the problem is. Updates are available for a reason. I'd prefer the unit download the EPG at 3:00am rather than when I go to use it.

If you are using the unit for a purpose not intended by the manufacturer (output to your tv) then you shouldn't really be upset that this doesn't work 100% as you expect it to. The proper solution is of course to get your IR blaster to simply turn the unit on/off as required.
If the purpose isn't to output to your tv what you tell it to output, what do you imagine the purpose is?

Why is it necessary to go into standby mode after an update? Why do you see that as a superior result to just returning the system to its previous state. I have specifically turned off the standby mode, so why doesn't the silly machine read that information and obey!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-07-17, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, the autotune at the same time seems to not actually work....the update time seems to vary more than i expected, i think it took like 30min for it to reboot...so I set the update time to 6am, and the autotune to 6:59am, as there is usually nothing ever recorded in that period. Has worked for a few days now.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-07-17, 08:55 PM
Premium Supporter

My 9242 does the same thing, and I came up with the same solution as you.

However recently I would come home after work and find it had also gone into standby mode.

Now, just to verify that you and I are having the same problem, you did go into the menu <menu-8-9> and disable it, right?

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't."
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-07-19, 04:34 PM

Arrow Discrete on/off Codes

Here is the scoop on discrete codes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech.dishnetwork.com
Discrete Power On/Off
Some after-market, universal remote controls need two discrete buttons for Power On and Power Off. Because the remote does not have two free buttons, this feature had to be implemented using a sequence of buttons.

1. Press and hold the SAT button at the top of the remote until all mode button backlights illuminate (about 3 seconds), then release.
2. While the SAT mode light blinks, press and release the large satellite Power button.
3. Press Volume Up for discrete power on. Press Volume Down for discrete power off.
4. Press the Select button to exit.
The solution is to program the discrete on/off codes into the IR blaster and tell the software to send a power on command to the EV receiver before recording.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-07-21, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
My 9242 does the same thing, and I came up with the same solution as you.

However recently I would come home after work and find it had also gone into standby mode.

Now, just to verify that you and I are having the same problem, you did go into the menu <menu-8-9> and disable it, right?
I definitely disabled standby, is that the question? I've discovered that my pvr also randomly reboots for no apparent reason, but atleast when it comes back online it returns to normal TV watching instead of standby. I guess I'll have to get it replaced. Hooray for technology.

Tags
9242 , expressvu , standby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in