ExpressVu 9242 Reviews - Owners please vote in the poll! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the ExpressVu HD PVR?
Extremely Positive 40 57.97%
Somewhat Positive 23 33.33%
Somewhat Negative 4 5.80%
Extremely Negative 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

ExpressVu 9242 Reviews - Owners please vote in the poll!

I am currently writing an article on the ExpressVu 9242 and I would like to get feedback from users of the unit.

I am only interested in objective feedback on the 9242 model (not rants) that discuss the pros and cons of this unit.

Please be sure to vote in the poll

One post per member, this thread is not for discussion just everyone's opinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Please note, this is not for discussion of the 9242 which you can do in many existing threads.

This thread is simply for owners to fill out our poll and provide your review of the 9242 in one post. Also please stick to reviewing the hardware itself.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 11:21 AM

Pros:
It has numerous features such as name based recording, playback skip button, PIP, up to 3 usable tuners, live recording buffer...
User interface is easy to use and navigate.
Quite stable in normal operation.
The 9242 is faster than the 9200 and has a larger disk.

Cons:
Frequent audio dropouts during HD playback on some programming.
Shares software with the 9200 so it has some of the same bugs.

Note: The extent of shared/new bugs is not known as yet due to relatively short time in use.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 12:01 PM
Veteran

I am very pleased with my 9242. It seldom (if ever) crashes or requires rebooting. It always records what I ask it to, the IPG is great, NBR is great. The audio dropout problem isn't nearly as bad as it was, and I don't think it was the 9242 specifically causing the problem.

I only wish it had a bigger hard disk, or the ability to add an external one. With increased space, some ability to put content into folders would be nice. Hopefully that's coming!

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 12:26 PM

Pros:
The most reliable Bell Rec. I have owned. Only rebooted twice since Oct 07. (past PVR's I have owned needed a reboot once a week)
Like the ability to record Digital OTA.

Cons:
I have had the blank recording issue twice.
I don't like the preview while in the saved PVR list, because once you are done watching something and delete it, it will jump back to the PVR list and you will see what is recording at that moment. (you may spoil the ending to some show you are recording)

Overall very pleased and worth every penny to me.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 01:23 PM

Only had my 9242 for a couple of weeks - nothing bad to report... (yet?)

BIG PRO - changed from Dual to Single mode, now it doesn't ask me which tuner to record on, it just does it. Love that feature... hit record, then go watch something else.

BIG improvement from my 5900 (HD aside...)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 01:48 PM

-2 weeks and working great.

-audio sync is the big problem

-more HD space is nice, should be 2x larger

-should have the USB port activated for more storage

-sometimes doesn't record a show because it mistakenly thinks its old

-quality of the video is very good on HD
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 01:52 PM

somewhat positive

It's great! Don't know what the new features are as this is my first pvr .
You can go back to the start of what turned out to be better than expected program and record it back to where you started watching.

I think its a little expensive a buy for something that ties me into a monthly bill. After my free rental, If I can get a deal and they open the usb ports to hard drives on both HD receivers, I would buy one.

Last edited by haystack; 2008-06-12 at 02:17 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 02:18 PM

On my 3rd one. HD crashed on first, 2nd had issues, and so far, 3rd seems OK.

Like others, experience audio drop outs, but generally pretty good otherwise. I only wish that ExpressVu offered Video on Demand.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 03:58 PM

Upgraded from 9200 to 9242. Much faster, love the HD labeled channels. No problems with playback of recorded shows/movies. Love the look, black is much better! Sound from HDMI is a plus!

BEV 9242, 6131s | Samsung HL67A750 | Pioneer VSX-919AH-K | Cerwin Vega VE-15s, VE-5C, VE-5M
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 04:11 PM

Under the circumstances, I felt I needed to select the "Extremely negative" option, and provide an explanation.

I already have 3 other BEV receivers: 2700, 4700, 5100. Far and away my primary reason for getting the 9242 was for the Dolby Digital Audio available on the Hi-def channels. (I am not all that interested in being able to see the wrinkles and pimples.)

However, the frequent audio dropouts on the SPDIF connection have just shattered my enjoyment. (Imagine Spiderman trying to stop a train, and all of a sudden the roaring sound effects are interrupted by an instant of silence!)

Although some cases of the audio dropouts (such as the recently identified problems on ShowcaseHD) are due to problems with the distribution and signal, most of the dropouts appear to be originating in the playback subsystem on the 9242 itself. (I'd be glad to provide more detail, but it needs to be done outside this poll thread.)

The most important feature for me, the main reason I have a 9242, is not working correctly.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 07:38 PM

Location: Edmonton, BELL HD PVR 9242 (37' LCD/15' LCD), BELL HD 6100(40' LCD), 2 PS3's, 2 Harmony 880's
I've had my 9242 for a month and love it! Use the dual tunner feature to use 2 tvs on it (with the 2 UHF remotes included that go through walls). Great unit, both TVs access the HDD and each can pause/rewind live tv and record.
Havent experienced audio drop outs yet (using HDMI and TV speakers), *fingers crossed* would hate it if this happens.
It would be great if they activated the USB port for more storage...

BELL HD PVR 9242 + PS3 40Gb (VIEWSONIC 37' LCD 1080i/DISNEY 15' LCD 720p), BELL HD 6100 + PS3 20Gb (LG 40' LCD 1080p)
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 09:46 AM

I'm pleased with my 9242 overall. I've had it for about 4 months now, and had to reboot it only once or twice in that time. The audio dropouts on HD content are a bit more noticable than on my 9200 (which I've had since the day it was released), but nothing major. Certain shows seem worse than others.

The price was also great - I think after an in-store discount and a credit on my next bill after activation, it cost $300.00.

Pros: stable, reliable, seldom locks up or "goes crazy", good value for the money

Cons: "jump to live" and HD audio dropouts occur a bit more often than on my 9200, and once it failed to stop recording at the end of a show, so the next day there was a 17 hour recording which had wiped out most of my older saved shows.

I'm happy with my 9242 overall (especially after my brief dalliance with Rogers, and the terrible SA8300)

Dave
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 09:49 AM

Owned mine for about 6 months (previously had a 6100). Experience has been generally positive - once or twice it has missed recordings but I have not been able to defintively blame the 9242 for this.

Biggest issue is audio dropouts on playback - these can be really annoying and distracting on some channels.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 10:03 AM

PROS: Best PVR yet!
CONS: Audio dropouts several times an hour on HD channels, occasional delayed/stuttering video, hard drive fills up quickly with HD (USB needed!) and ONCE selection for recording should be at top.

Tags
9242 , expressvu , hdpvr , review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in