ExpressVu 9242 Reviews - Owners please vote in the poll! - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the ExpressVu HD PVR?
Extremely Positive 40 57.97%
Somewhat Positive 23 33.33%
Somewhat Negative 4 5.80%
Extremely Negative 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 10:07 AM

Great receiver but my 1st gen 9200 is still faster reacting to remote commands and channel changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-15, 11:43 PM

my first real glitch with one of my 9242's since buying them last year is that i had to go thru a couple of check switches and a reboot today cause the ird thought it was connected to a sw42 instead of a couple of sw21's
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-17, 09:34 AM

1. The manual leaves a lot to be desired. Many functions are not explained and you end up finding them by error (unintentionally) or by Forums or by Tech Support having you use them to troubleshoot an issue.

2. The dual tuner functions are poor in that it is not easy nor intuitive to change tuners.

3. there is no simple way to change modes from Single to Dual. I personally do not use the set to power two TVs.

4. Only one HD output when in Dual mode.

5. No quick way to "edit" future recordings. You have to go through several layers of menus to get there.

6 Drive size is adequate for my recordings, but as time goes on the HD size may be an issue as I record more and more in HD

7. Unable to install without both tuners connected (according to Bell Tech Support)

8. Extremely slow to change channels (takes 27 seconds) ... audio comes in in 20 seconds and video follows 7 seconds later.

9. External drive support disabled.

10. As per #9 above no way to archive recordings,

11. No way to move the HD if the 9242 fails due to anything besides a HD failure (see #9 & #10)

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-18, 04:17 AM

This is my first PVR and I like it. Fewer problems than I had with my first 6100. My only complaint is with audio sync through HDMI.
I have this connected to two HDTVs but on single mode and I use the UHF #2 remote mostly and now this remote has stopped working. After doing my own testing with a second UHF remote and jumping through hoops with Bell, they are sending me another 9242. I've got mixed feelings about this as except for the remote, everything else is pretty good and the second unit may not be.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-18, 01:08 PM
Rookie

Cons:

Audio synch problems.

Drop out of audio at times.

Not able to finish watching a recorded program.

Slow to switch channels.

Pros:

Can record two shows at once.

Great interface.

Has PIP.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-26, 04:27 PM
Rookie

Audio drop outs

So I have been renting the 9242 since the last week of May '08 and I am extremely pleased with the HD programming on my Samsung pn50a550. I have noticed that I have been experiencing some audio drop outs during the playback of HD content.

For example, I recorded the Lost finale and when I got home to watch it, I would notice no audio for 1 or 2 seconds at a time in certain spots, but when I did a quick jump back of 10 seconds to replay the section, the drop out disappeared; this was an experiment I conducted to try and isolate the issue.

My thinking is that the audio information is there, but the PVR just doesn't translate it as consistently as it should. Similar situation when I pause a live program, then continue after a few minutes. The paused content would also have audio dropouts. I have my PVR going through a Samsung reciever and it shows when there is no audio signal present when there's a drop out. I switch the HDMI cable, still drop outs.

Other than the audio, I love the the dual tuner, the aspect ratio adjustment. Two televisions can access the recorded programs simultaneously in DUAL mode. I have an old 13 inch tv in my bedroom so I have to put the picture on "Stretch" to accommodate the 4:3.

Otherwise I love it. Hope there's some firmware upgrade to address the audio stuff; otherwise, I'm assuming Bell will make us pay to accommodate a hardware upgrade the address the issue.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-06-27, 01:41 PM
Rookie

My first experience with PVR, and after some initial confusion on the tuner setup, both had to be connected to both 91 and 82 to function properly I am overall very satisfied. The manual leaves a lot to be desired, in the setup area. Had some initial HDMI audio sync problems using the cable supplied with the unit, but have swapped it out for a better cable and sync problems have gone away. Overall a 8.5 out of 10.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 2008-07-02, 10:55 PM
Rookie

Bell 9242 review

Hi There,
I'm also a new (2 months) user of bell equipment. Unfortunately I upgraded
from a 20+ year old 20 inch TV to a ful HD Big screen plasma TV so I might be a bit biased.
So far the receiver has been awesome.
Love the recording features and storage seems adequate.
I only have one TV though.
The price is high but I see they have a 50% off deal on now if you purchase.
Cheers.

Tags
9242 , expressvu , hdpvr , review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in