Bell TV 6141 Discussion thread - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 2008-03-19, 04:25 PM

Finally, the software patch fixed the fox-e issue.!!!! I am still experiencing audio sync issues though. It is not very often but it shows up on SD channels more often tham HD. The channel changing is sooo sloooooooooow.....It can be annoying on those days where my patience is a little thin, i.e(nagging wife). You would think the processing power of this new model would be able to provide lightening fast channel changing.

I find the remote, although nice looking, is kind of "clunky". The buttons aren't soft when pressed down like the 3100 etc. I know I'm being [email protected]# now.

I have something to share though. Prior to the patch I was getting some HDMI image retention (LCD), which I compensated for by lowering the contrast on my LCD. This is no longer an issue no matter what the setting I have on my LCD, strange. Hmm strange, anybody else had this and is gone?

The picture quality is quite good, especially with the SD. HD is great regardless.

I wonder though if this receiver, via a patch, can do, resolution pass thru.
For example alloying the native HD resolution of the channel pass thru, such as various HD cable boxes do. Does Bev pass thru the native HD res. of the station broadcast, or do they upconvert/down conver it?

Not that this matters, but it good be a resourceful tool in achieving the perfect HD picture.

Oh and I have noticed that HD audio level is much higher than the SD broadcasts, thus always compensating with the volume on my LCD. Is this inherent on all BEV HD receivers?

I hope its just a matter of time when they allow the external USB HDD to be able to record.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-03-24, 12:59 AM

Angry Audio Synch Problems

Hi All,

I just upgraded to an ExpressVu 6141 and I too am having these audio synch probs. I tried using it on a different hi def TV to see if that made any difference and it did not. Changing cables from HDMI to component cables also made no difference. I'm guessing that this might be an MPEG decoding issue (?) because when I watch the same channels on my other hi def TV with a different ExpressVu box (model 6100), there are no audio synch problems with the model 6100. This is very annoying and I will be calling Bell about this tomorrow.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 2008-03-24, 08:44 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Some channels seem to be broadcast out of sync, some seem to be the fault of the receiver. Notably, CTV seems to be one of the worst. I also see this on SD channels such as the Food Network.

Bottom line I think is: Sometimes you can resolve it or make it less of an impact by switching to component, othertimes, there is nothing you can do, and potentially nothing EV can do in these circumstances if that is the way they get the feed. In some cases though, it is simply underpowered hardware for the job.

so:
a) Hardware issues
b) Firmware issue
c) HDMI support issues
d) broadcast issues

take your pick Could be all 4 or any combination

Old 2008-03-24, 02:29 PM

My guess is for B, the firmware.

With the last soft/firmware upgrade, last week, I have seen the out of sync a lot less.

Plus, turning everything off and then back on seems to fix the problem 9 out of 10 times.

Andy
Old 2008-03-30, 07:59 PM

Lets face it this receiver is only good when watching a sporting event or other narrated presentations. Otherwise this piece of crap receiver makes TV look like its dubbed in English. Hope they can fix it.
Old 2008-03-30, 08:47 PM

Haystack...couldn't agree with you more. I can't believe after two months being a new customer with Bell that this problem has not been fixed. I actually find CNN (Channel 500) to be one of the worst stations for the lip-sync going off often. I very often have to change to a different channel and go back to CNN to get the sync better/bearable, but still not dead on. For those people who watch concerts on HDNET (channel 814) you can see the lip-sync problem is painfully obvious when a guitar strum or drum hit is off by a split-second. I think until it's fixed I may call Bell and ask for a credit back on my account to compensate. One rep told me that it's the TV manufacturer's fault for changing their technology and not keeping Satellite companies up-to-date to get ready for the changes. Good lord! My dvd player is years old and works 100% with my TV, so basically they're just giving me the run around. Oh well...hopefully someday this problem will get solved.
Old 2008-04-02, 05:06 PM

I've been pretty fortunate with my 6141 I guess. I purchased it last week from Future Shop and the only issue I've had is that the audio comes up first before the video when changing channels.

Otherwise, I am quite satisfied with my unit. I think the picture quality is definitely better than I was used to on my 6100, both SD and HD.

Oh, btw, first post and thanks for all of the info.
Old 2008-04-06, 09:36 PM

SD channels and guide issues

Hey is anyone having problems with the 6141 only displaying the HD channels? The channel guide only shows that the HD channels are available. SD channels are gone and you can't even enter them manually. I've had the reciever for a week now and its happened 3 times (twice today). After a re-boot the channel guide and all channels work fine . Any ideas???
Old 2008-04-06, 09:48 PM

Sounds like you lose a satellite check the switch and cables. That would be my guess.
Old 2008-04-06, 10:01 PM

I thought about that but my SD signal strength is around 90% while the HD signal is in the mid 80's. I've done a few switch checks recently and everything checks out. I should also note that I have a 9200 reciever that works fine.
Old 2008-04-06, 10:04 PM

Can you switch them for a while.
Old 2008-04-06, 11:17 PM

OK so I just rechecked the signal strength and it was below 70% on the 82º satellite. Thanks for you help I'll have to have a look at the dish tomorrow.
Old 2008-04-07, 02:50 AM

Not sure if you know but if you repeatedly push the "guide" button it cycles through different lists such as "HD only", "All subs", or "All channels". You may have inadvertently switched to "HD only". the guide shows what list you're on in the top left.

(FYI you can edit these default lists and create many more in the setup menu under "favorites"... a very handy feature if you create lists like PPV, sports, movies, ect and include only those channels. Much easier than scrolling through all the garbage channels on the guide.)

Something simple to look at first.

Epson EX71, Tosh HD-A2, Denon AVR590, Athena P4100, Infinity P362,C250,P162. RCA L42WD22, Pio VSX1016, Athena LS50
Old 2008-04-07, 09:30 AM

Eureka!!!! Thats the answer. Still have to go up the ladder and find out why the dish moved though. Thanks to all!
Old 2008-04-07, 11:37 AM

Are you sure the dish moved? It's not uncommon for 82 to show mid-80s on a sunny day and around 70 on a really cloudy one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in