Returning Refurbished Equipment - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2020-01-24, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Returning Refurbished Equipment

We just had a very a very disturbing experience at a Bell Store.

We were bringing back a refurbished 6400 HD receiver that we had bought on Monday.

A week ago I wanted to watch a hockey game. I turned on the den TV and 6141 HD receiver and the screen displayed "No Signal".
I have had problems with the coax between that TV and the dish before but I solved that problem by moving the connection inside.

So anyway, I pressed the MENU button on the remote and nothing happened. This told me that either the receiver was faulty or something else was wrong.
I called Bell and it was decided that I would purchase a refurbished 6400 because I didn't want to lose my eHD contents.

So we picked it up at my local Bell store and brought it home and hooked it up. I got the same "no signal" display on the TV.
And it wouldn't respond to the new remote.

So I called Bell again.
After several suggestions failed it was suggested to try another HDMI cable. Now at first I disagreed because there wasn't any evidence that the cable was faulty. When I disconnected the HDMI cable it displayed "check signal cable" not "no signal" so that's why I doubted that the cable was bad.

But I relented and used another HDMI cable that I knew was working and got the same message. The tech agent then suggested connecting a Component cable. I quickly discovered that the 6400 doesn't have component connections.

So I disconnected the 6400 and connected my old 6141 via Component cables and up came the picture!

So the receiver was not the problem.

We packed it up in the box and took it in today. (I had 15 days to return it according to the sales rep).

Well the sour puss sales agent who sold it to us (yes she was totally unfriendly, as she was when we bought it) took one look at the receiver and said "we can't take it back because it's not in the same condition we sold it".

Well we hit the roof!

Yes there were marks on the black paint but they were there when I removed it from the shrink wrap. When I first saw them my thought was "OK it's refurbished". I never thought that they would be used against me if we had to bring it back.

Well, they did!

We raised holy hell with the manager and eventually he backed down and took it back with a full refund.

I think it's a tactic with Bell to make it as difficult to take back an older model receiver to try and get unsuspecting customers to spring for a new model receiver. I have had lots of bad experiences with Bell over the years but this one takes the cake.

Last edited by gdmaclew; 2020-01-24 at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2020-01-24, 05:49 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
One needs to understand the difference between "no signal" when it's displayed on the TV because the TV is not receiving a signal from a particular device, either because the device is faulty, or because of a poor connection between the device and the TV (poor HDMI cable for example) and the "no signal" that's displayed because there is no signal coming to the box and the box is sending that message to your TV's screen... These are usually displayed quite differently and have different causes/solutions.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2020-01-24, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Absolutely. I am very well aware of that.
That's how I came to understand that the TV had developed a faulty HDMI port spontaneously between uses. (between the Tuesday night that it worked and 2 days later on Thursday (8 days ago) when it didn't.
Having the same error message from 2 separate devices, one of which was "new", was the final clue.
As I stated clearly "No signal coming to the box" was displayed as "check signal cable".

I have been working with devices for 40 years and HDMI connections specifically for 10 years and have never seen this situation before.

The issue is not a failure recognizing the problem but Bell's shameful customer relations.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2020-01-24, 09:58 PM
Veteran

The only time I've had issues with HDMI ports failing is due to static discharge. That can happen if the RG6 or other copper cable from an antenna, dish or street network is not grounded where it enters the house. Static will always find a way to ground and if that happens to be through equipment data cables then the equipment can be damaged quite easily. If the dish was installed by Bell and it is not grounded then they are liable for the damage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in