Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

6131 HDD Dying/Transferring Recordings

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  BarGuy 
#1 ·
So I have a 6131 ird with an extrernal drive.. I have had a few "System Integrity Checks" as of late, so Im assuming my drive is dying. I had read on older posts that its possible to transfer my recordings over to another drive that has been formated by that ird, by using a Linux computer. Is this still possible, and what files/folders am I looking for in order to do this?

#2 ·
It's been a few years and I no longer have any Bell equipment so I cannot offer much more information than is in the original posts. I just copied the very large program files in the large partition. 2GB drives may have 2 large partitions. I only ever did this on a 9200 or 9242 PVR so I cannot provide much info for the 6131. 6131 disks are a slightly different layout and may have an extra system partition. The file encryption is (or was) keyed to the account number, not the hardware, which is why this method works.

I will take a long time at USB 2.0 speeds, possible up to a day or more. That will depend on the amount of programming and actual speed of the ports in the drive and PC. That could be sped up by taking the drives out of the case and connecting them to the PC's internal SATA ports and power. Even then it could take the good part of a day.

#3 ·
I hooked the drive up to a ubuntu system, saw a bunch of files.. But when I went to transfer, I got permission denied.. I was using a GUI type program.. Not sure if it would make a different doing it in a terminal in root access. (Im totally new to linux/ubuntu, so not sure how the copy/transfer command would be)

#4 ·
I'm certainly not an expert on this, however, copying files will not work because the files are encrypted. What you need to do is make a bit by bit (sector by sector?) "clone" of the drive. Instructions for doing this on Rogers were discussed in the following thread and I'm not sure if that works the same way for Bell Sat. There are probably several different ways to do this, including instructions using Linux, also discussed a few posts after the link below:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61...s-cloning-too-see-post-1-a-25.html#post856903 (and the posts that follow)

#6 ·
@57, Bell satellite and Rogers PVRs are completely different. As I mentioned in the previous post, encryption on Bell PVRs is tied to the subscriber account, not the hardware. Copying the large (>1GB) files should work. Each file is a recorded program. I would try just one at first to see if it will work.

@BarGuy, the permissions problem can be overcome by using su or sudo to obtain superuser permissions. That is usually done using a command line in bash or a similar shell. Don't know which GUI file manager you are using but it would look something like "sudo file-manager-name". You will be asked for your password. That requires permissions to use sudo. Depending on the Linux distro, su might also work. It would look like "su -" followed by a prompt for the root password, if you have one. Everything after that would be executed as root. Haven't used Ubuntu recently or very often so I'm not up to date on it's quirks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.