6131 HDD Dying/Transferring Recordings - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2020-01-17, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

6131 HDD Dying/Transferring Recordings

So I have a 6131 ird with an extrernal drive.. I have had a few "System Integrity Checks" as of late, so Im assuming my drive is dying. I had read on older posts that its possible to transfer my recordings over to another drive that has been formated by that ird, by using a Linux computer. Is this still possible, and what files/folders am I looking for in order to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2020-01-18, 12:01 PM
Veteran

It's been a few years and I no longer have any Bell equipment so I cannot offer much more information than is in the original posts. I just copied the very large program files in the large partition. 2GB drives may have 2 large partitions. I only ever did this on a 9200 or 9242 PVR so I cannot provide much info for the 6131. 6131 disks are a slightly different layout and may have an extra system partition. The file encryption is (or was) keyed to the account number, not the hardware, which is why this method works.

I will take a long time at USB 2.0 speeds, possible up to a day or more. That will depend on the amount of programming and actual speed of the ports in the drive and PC. That could be sped up by taking the drives out of the case and connecting them to the PC's internal SATA ports and power. Even then it could take the good part of a day.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2020-01-18, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I hooked the drive up to a ubuntu system, saw a bunch of files.. But when I went to transfer, I got permission denied.. I was using a GUI type program.. Not sure if it would make a different doing it in a terminal in root access. (Im totally new to linux/ubuntu, so not sure how the copy/transfer command would be)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2020-01-18, 01:14 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I'm certainly not an expert on this, however, copying files will not work because the files are encrypted. What you need to do is make a bit by bit (sector by sector?) "clone" of the drive. Instructions for doing this on Rogers were discussed in the following thread and I'm not sure if that works the same way for Bell Sat. There are probably several different ways to do this, including instructions using Linux, also discussed a few posts after the link below:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-...tml#post856903 (and the posts that follow)

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2020-01-18, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, worse case, we are binge watching what we can, and we could always stream what we lose
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2020-01-18, 11:01 PM
Veteran

@57 , Bell satellite and Rogers PVRs are completely different. As I mentioned in the previous post, encryption on Bell PVRs is tied to the subscriber account, not the hardware. Copying the large (>1GB) files should work. Each file is a recorded program. I would try just one at first to see if it will work.

@BarGuy , the permissions problem can be overcome by using su or sudo to obtain superuser permissions. That is usually done using a command line in bash or a similar shell. Don't know which GUI file manager you are using but it would look something like "sudo file-manager-name". You will be asked for your password. That requires permissions to use sudo. Depending on the Linux distro, su might also work. It would look like "su -" followed by a prompt for the root password, if you have one. Everything after that would be executed as root. Haven't used Ubuntu recently or very often so I'm not up to date on it's quirks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2020-01-19, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks, was able to find a work around for file manager pcmanfm to give back root access to folders.. just need to find a good stretch of time to transfer the files over when Im not recording anythign

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in