Splitting Bell Satellite Cable - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2020-01-10, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Splitting Bell Satellite Cable

Hi there,

I have a Bell 9241 HD PVR and the hard drive has failed. I can still watch TV but can't record anything.
I also have a Bell 6131 HD Receiver with an external hard drive, so I can record, but I can't watch another show during recording.
What I would like to do is split the cable from the satellite dish to the two receivers so that I can record on the 6131 and watch something else on the 9241. However, I understand that a common two-way splitter won't work and I need a power block splitter that allows power on one output and power block on the other. I can't seem to find this type of splitter in Toronto area electronic stores or online.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2020-01-10, 06:59 PM

Have you checked Amazon? I've needed things (not this but other things similar) and they've had what I need and you can even get next day shipping if needed.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2020-01-10, 07:14 PM
Veteran

A power block splitter won't work either. Assuming the dish has a DP or DPP dual LNB installed, you need to run an extra cable back to the satellite switch. Depending on the current wiring (if there are two cables running from the 9241 back to a DP or DPP LNB,) the other option is removing one of the cables from the 9241 and using it for the 6131. That will cause issues with one tuner not working but provided only one is needed it may be possible to work around it. Depending on the LNB (DPP) and current wiring, it should be possible to install a Dish Pro splitter (a special splitter made for Dish/Bell receivers) to get both tuners on the 9241 working with one cable.

Don't know what the status is on obtaining hard drives for Dish receivers but replacing the drive in the 9241 is probably the best option.

Ebay is a good source for Dish/Bell satellite parts. There are also a number of online satellite retailers that may have parts but eBay tends to be cheaper.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2020-01-10, 08:44 PM
Veteran

ExDilbert is correct, a splitter won't work.

You can buy a USED DPP Twin LNB for a really affordable price on a private marketplaces websites, then you can run one line to EACH receiver and it will work. This is the preferred setup. Some people I know who are Ex-Bell Satellite customers are practically giving away their old dish, as long as someone is able to climb up on a ladder and take it down for them. This is a great Idea. Look into it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2020-01-10, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
A power block splitter won't work either. Assuming the dish has a DP or DPP dual LNB installed, you need to run an extra cable back to the satellite switch. Depending on the current wiring (if there are two cables running from the 9241 back to a DP or DPP LNB,) the other option is removing one of the cables from the 9241 and using it for the 6131. That will cause issues with one tuner not working but provided only one is needed it may be possible to work around it. Depending on the LNB (DPP) and current wiring, it should be possible to install a Dish Pro splitter (a special splitter made for Dish/Bell receivers) to get both tuners on the 9241 working with one cable.

Don't know what the status is on obtaining hard drives for Dish receivers but replacing the drive in the 9241 is probably the best option.

Ebay is a good source for Dish/Bell satellite parts. There are also a number of online satellite retailers that may have parts but eBay tends to be cheaper.
Thanks for the quick reply.

There are two lines coming from the dish: one line goes to my wife's TV upstairs; and one is coming to my TV downstairs, (where I have the 9241 and 6131). Unfortunately, I do not have easy access to the dish because it is installed on a steep roof three stories up. That's why I was hoping to just split the cable.

I will think about replacing the hard drive, but maybe I'll just rent or buy a new PVR receiver and try and sell the old ones.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2020-01-11, 01:07 AM

With two lines coming in you should be able to install a switch at any point where the two line meet.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2020-01-11, 03:05 PM
Veteran

Depending on the LNB, a DP or DPP switch should work provided the two cables enter the house at the same place. An extra cable would still need to be installed in the house. The Dish Pro splitter will not work with two receivers. They only work with a single receiver that has two coax inputs. My experience is that installers will sometimes run the cables on the outside of the house to the room with the TV so that wouldn't allow the use of a switch.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2020-01-13, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

The two lines come in at different locations, so that won't work. Thanks anyway.

Tags
splitter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in