Any Replacement for Home Distribution Feature of Bell 9242? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-05-12, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Any Replacement for Home Distribution Feature of Bell 9242?

Hi Folks,

I have been using the Home Distribution feature of the Bell 9242 PVR for a number of years. The Home Distribution (rebroadcast) feature is very useful because I can both watch live and recorded shows on any TV in the house, not just those connected to directly to the PVR.

This is done using co-axial cable run from the 9242 to TVs in the basement rec room, basement bed room, upstairs bedroom and kitchen. Great for Blue Jays games. You can work in several locations and keep tabs on the game without having to set up 4 PVRs to simultaneously record the same program.

But my faithful 9242 has developed a problem. The HDMI output works perfectly to the master TV but the remotes on coax all suffer a steady chirping sound in the audio. The video is problem free (albeit low res). I have not checked the capacitors yet but I will have a look. Yes there are refurbs on the market for $200 to $300 but they are old now too and may not have much service life left. These may be good choices in the short term but eventually I will need to make a change.

Has anyone any advice/recommendations on a way to replace the Home Distribution functionality of the 9242? I want to be able to watch a recorded show on almost any TV in the house.

Thanks,
slount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 10:46 AM
Veteran

Feeding the composite output of the 9242 (or any device) into an RF modulator will accomplish the same thing. The quality of many cheap modulators is not as good as the one in the 9242 so some care is needed when choosing a one.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 10:53 AM

Have a look on a well known on-line Auction Site for some of the older models produced by ZeeVee. They make HD distribution via Coax, very simple indeed.

They were expensive years ago but now getting cheaper.

I used to install dozens of these commercially, HDbridge 2540 Series, 4 HD Inputs via Component, then a single QAM Digital Output via Coax to as many TV's as you want. All in 1080...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 10:31 PM
Veteran

I have the 9242 as well but one comment, feeding the composite output into an RF Modulator does work but one thing, yes it will output the video, but the 9242 happens to output anamorphic widescreen video over the coax output to my second TV, and during my tests with an RF modulator, which I also happen to have, I can distribute the video but its not anamorphic widescreen when using this method, The composite outputs only output a letterboxed output so my rf modulator will re-broadcast that over the coax so my secondary tv does not look as nice as if its output directly over the coaxial.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 06:45 PM
Rookie

One direction that might be of interest - I am currently running signal from my Yamaha receiver's Zone 2 to another room with an HDMI extender. I got a point-to-point that operates over Cat5e/Cat6 cable. When I was shopping, I saw some options that would encapsulate the HDMI signal onto a routable stream that multiple receivers could use. There are also 1-to-4 port extenders, but I liked the look of this: https://smile.amazon.com/SIIG-Extend.../dp/B07HKMWK22

Rob T
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 09:19 PM
Veteran

That product requires network cable which would probably need to be installed. The 9242 uses RG6 coax. An HDMI extender that uses coax and can be split using standard coax splitters would be an ideal replacement since it would use the existing coax. Another option would be an RF HDMI extender that works with more than one receiver. The issue with those is that they tend to be expensive. It would provide much better video and audio.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-05-19, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Wow! Thanks ExDilbert, Rob T, Allan B and 17671 these are some options that I would never have thought of. It turns out that I have one Cat 6 and two Coax cables running from each television to a panel on the basement. So I now, thanks to you, I now have options that I previously did not know were feasible. And you have given me the terminology I need to get the research done and make a decision. I am familiar with networking. I have two servers in the basement and all the desktops in the house are connected via Cat 6. On the other hand I am very familiar with coax and a separate analogue path would reduce the load on my poor old Bell Home Hub 2000. When I decide what to do I will post back.

Thanks,
slount
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-05-31, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks guys. I have Cat 6 twisted pair to every room in the house but decided to use an HDMO over coax solution. My poor old Bell Home Hub 2000 seems to be limping under the present load on it.

I picked up a Hall Research EXHD-RG6 HDMI over Coax Extender. Two boxes. One at the satellite receiver HDMI in/two coax out so you can drive two TVs. The second box: Coax in and HDMI out for the TV and a coax output to send signal (daisy chain) to another receiver box. Works like a charm. Super simple set up. I think the price was ok: $289 + HST + free three shipping by courier. I have structured wiring so the coax goes to one central location in the basement. I moved the satellite box to the basement and connected it to the HDMI input on the transmitter and hooked two TV's to the coax. Worked great. The satellite box has an RF antenna so we can control it from anywhere in the house.

But then I needed a second receiver (demodulator). Oddly enough if you want another receiver (demodulator) box to feed another TV that costs $462 on Amazon and I could find no Canadian supplier. So I bought a second mod/demod set. I should have taken your advice and gone with SIIG. Right now two TVs is ok but it would be nice to add two more if I could get Hall demodulator boxes at a reasonable price. I would get an HDMI splitter and use the second modulator to drive two more TVs or leave the second modulator on the shelf and daisy chain all four TVs. I have two Coax cables running to every TV.

Would anyone know who carries Hall Research products in Canada? I assume they will not work with any other brand.

Thanks for the advice guys. Solved my problem. Just another example of the value digitalhome.ca provides.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-05-31, 09:31 PM
Veteran

There is a store on eBay located in Montreal called Demo Deals Online that carries Hall Research products. They have the kit for US$214. The going price for the receiver alone (elsewhere) is US$218 plus US$70 shipping. The kit seems to be the best deal.

Quote:
My poor old Bell Home Hub 2000 seems to be limping under the present load on it.
HDMI over CAT6 usually requires dedicated cables. I doubt it could be shared with the LAN on the Home Hub.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-06-01, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

exDilbert: Thanks for your research on the going price of the receiver. I found only crazy high price offers fon all the well known sites. My fault I should have mentioned that my two mod/demod kits came from DealsOnLine in Montreal. Superb service. And I should have been a little more clear. There had been some discussion in this thread about HDMI over ethernet. I have both ethernet and dual cat 6 runs to rooms where we might have computers and/or TVs so I could use either HDMI over coax or HDMI over Ethernet LAM. I was just trying to explain why I went coax: it is separate and incompatibale with the LAN and twisted pair wiring. Being separate would mean the TVs would impose no additional burden on the Home Hub.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in