Either Net Connections - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 17671

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-30, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Either Net Connections

Late next week Iím planning to hardwire all my connected devices(18 in total), Iím going to be replacing the HDD in my 9400 and going to connect it as well. Is there any point in connecting my 6141,6400(G1)? I donít order pay per view and canít think of any reason why they would need to be connected like the 9400. I heard mention of something called a Bell Home Cinema Kit. Not sure the purpose of it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-30, 09:52 AM
Veteran

I have all mine hardwired just because that way Bell doesn't have to call me to verify my receivers anymore.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-31, 12:51 PM
Veteran

Ethernet Connections

Don't know why you would want to hard wire everything. A lot of devices don't require it and wifi will work just as well. Not sure that it's even a good idea due to the unsightliness of cables and holes in the wall everywhere. Most consumer devices that need internet connectivity are now supplied with wifi built in so wiring is not necessary. PCs and NAS devices are typically the only systems that could benefit from being hard wired. It would make more sense to upgrade the wireless router (if necessary) and improve wifi security by choosing better encryption methods and using a very strong password. Wifi technology has improved so much over the last 10 years I'm looking at ripping some ethernet cables out.

Bell receivers don't need to be connected but not doing so could trigger a call for location verification. The call involves relaying a location code on each receiver. Calls are infrequent and typically take less than 5 minutes per receiver. The connection can be made with a home phone line or through an internet connected LAN.

An internet connection is required for VOD (video on demand) content. Even a PVR such as the 9400 typically requires far less bandwidth than can be easily provided by wifi. VOD can easily be done using wifi.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-31, 03:18 PM
Veteran

I tend to differ from ExDilbert. I smart wired my parents home well over 15 years ago when an ethernet outlet behind your tv was unheard of. Fast Forward to 2018/2019, most providers like Bell Fibe and Rogers Ignite can and will utilize the ethernet plug for tv connection, they also work over wifi too, and several media ip boxes support ethernet and or wifi, as well as my blue ray player it uses both connections as well. So even though your satellite tv receiver may not need it, its optional, what if you get rid of satellite down the road and go with iptv? yeah you might very well do that and utilize the ethernet connection.

Now yes wifi is great but wifi also can and will have issues, no matter how great the advancements are, its still a radio signal and subject to any interference radio signals have to deal with. im an IT expert, hard wired is always the best and safest. if you can run a wire, go for it, but im not nocking wifi, go ahead and use it if u want
dm_4u likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-31, 10:17 PM
Veteran

I wired everything until about 10 years ago when 5GHz 802.11G became available. AC is now the norm and is better than some ethernet cable was then. I'm just saying that wiring every device is excessive. If wifi will do the job for a particular device then use it. There is no way I'm wiring every device that is in use when wifi works as well as ethernet cable.

Depending on the situation, wiring the main IPTV PVR might be a good idea. Wiring wifi access points is also a good idea rather than relying on repeaters or wifi MESH. Pick the devices where cabling can provide a significant improvement and wire those. Then install a good AC router in a central location to handle the rest. I get up to 300Mbps over a 600Mbps connection to wireless devices that can handle it. That's faster then the household internet connection and over 20 times the speed required for streaming HD and 4K video. Most other devices work well with speeds much lower than that.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-31, 10:31 PM

I agree with 17671. I have most of my devices hardwired. Granted most of my stuff is in two clusters, the TV area and my home office, so it wasn't that difficult. There are two outliers on wi-fi: a Fibe STB in the dining room, and a desktop computer. The STB works perfectly; the desktop: not so much.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-02-01, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Iíve become increasingly frustrated with my current WiFi. I can only get 25mbs(hardwired) with Sasktel in my area. Iím still waiting for Infinet. I struggle to watch YouTube videos in 1080p on my iPhone XS Max without buffering, not always but a lot. Switch to data and itís totally fine. Iím probably not going to hardwire everything such as my older AVR or older Blu-Ray Players as they probably wonít see anymore Firmware updates but Iím going to run Cat 7 to all my newer 4K gear,PS4,ATV,ect also my two computers. I was pondering running Cat 6 to my Bell Receivers as well. I can get a gigabit switch cheap from Amazon and they have the Cat 7 & 6 cables dirt cheap.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-02-01, 10:47 AM
Veteran

Is the iPhone XS Max going to be hardwired? It sounds like a wifi upgrade is required. If the Sasktel modem has inferior wifi technology or is badly located it would make more sense to install a good wifi access point in a better location. A centrally located AC1900 router configured as an access point should make an improvement.Depending on the size of the house, more than one wired router in a MESH configuration might be required.

The PCs should benefit from being wired. The PS4 might for gaming. Any Bell receiver, PS4 and ATV improvement would depend on wifi signal strength and connection speed.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-02-01, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

I have been keeping my eye on the Asus ROG Rature AC5300 as a possibility. Looks pretty good. My current modem is 10 years old as I got it in 09. I should swap it for a new one. I was hoping to have Sasktel Infinet by now.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-02-01, 11:53 AM
Veteran

The ASUS AC5300 is overkill for most people and overpriced. The AC1900 is adequate and will perform as well unless you have a lot of simultaneous wifi users (as in a large family or office.) The AC1900 is cheaper in a kit of two (for MESH installations in large homes and residences with dead spots or interference.) There is also the AC1900P which tends to be a bit cheaper and has a faster processor. (They go on sale every few weeks.) It is available from Best Buy.

The NETGEAR R7000 Nighthawk gets very good ratings but the ASUS products have a better interface, better long term firmware support and more features such as MESH.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in