Receiver in cabinet - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Inglewood

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 2018-12-31, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Receiver in cabinet

Hi....

I'm going to be hanging a tv on a wall, and want to put the receiver either in a vented cabinet or just behind the tv, if there's enough room to hang it.

I'm looking at buying a used 9241 or 9400.....maybe get a 9500.

Will I be able to control a receiver if the remote cant see it? is that what the antenna is for on the back of the 9241?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2018-12-31, 11:30 AM

As long as it is being used with an UHF Pro Remote you should be fine. Consider an old Laptop Cooler to place under the receiver if it starts getting hot at all, powered from the USB port.
Old 2018-12-31, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks you Allan for that quick reply.

Old 2018-12-31, 02:02 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
If you wish to use the IR signal, it's easy to get an IR Extender online for a few $.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Old 2018-12-31, 02:04 PM
Veteran

Hi Chris112.

For several years I have been doing the same thing when I had Bell Satellite TV. I had a TV in my kitchen hanging on a wall mounted arm. The Receiver was in the room below us (basement) and the remote was a UHF remote so it works thru walls, and my setup was very clean and neat. They used to always ask me how the TV gets satellite in the kitchen with no box. I always told them, there IS a box but I am able to "hide" it where ever I like including downstairs in the basement and it still works. A lot of my friends and relatives were very Jealous of this feature and when ever I go to their house they have trouble finding a place to put their set top box for their kitchen tv set, usually the box is bigger than their actual TV shelf or kids keep touching it or pulling on the wires or pressing the buttons.
Old 2018-12-31, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris112 View Post
I'm looking at buying a used 9241 or 9400.....maybe get a 9500.
The 9500 is IR-only (line of sight) according to posts in the 9500 thread.
Old 2019-01-01, 12:10 AM
Veteran

I have both the 9242 and 9400 and they both support UHF. They both have the F-type connector on the back for a local external antenna, or you can do what my friend did, he ran a coax from his basement receiver to the upstairs bedroom and connected one end to the receiver, and the other end in his bedroom he connected the antenna to and it sticks out of the wallplate on the wall, that way the signal does not have to go very far to reach his receiver 2 stories down. pretty smart eh?
Old 2019-01-02, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Great Info... Thanks guys.
Old 2019-01-03, 10:58 AM

I have my setup (that previously included a 9242 box) in another room directly behind my TV (this room is my utility / laundry room).

I have all my equipment on a metal wire rack, with each piece on top of four hockey pucks (one in each corner) to give them circulation and stability on the wire shelving. Devices that don't have UHF remotes I have some cheap IR extenders that I bought online (eBay) for a couple bucks that plug into a USB jack for power. The IR extenders are about the size of a dime, and adhere to any surface/device easily.

The hockey pucks are a very inexpensive low-tech solution to keep your equipment cool - I would have overheating issues when I didn't give the equipment space and this solved most of my issues.
Allan B likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in