Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell 9500 (and 7500) Receiver Discussions

221K views 283 replies 76 participants last post by  TV_Stu 
#1 ·
Had a Bell Tech at the house today to replace my legacy SW44/SW44A switch combo with a DPP Quad. Pretty good service, I called in a problem yesterday (Sunday) and they were at my house the next morning and on a holiday! They waived the $75 service call fee too.

He mentioned there was a 9500 receiver showing up in their system. It wasn't available to anyone and he had little information other than "built in Wi-Fi". Just wondered if anyone had heard of a new receiver - I assume a PVR?

-Mike

Edit by 57 - Installation instructions by @Dr.Dave in the following post:

Reactions: dm_4u
#2 ·
Sounds like an incremental update to the 9400. I don't expect to see too much in the way of new features. It may gain a few and lose a few compared to the 9400 as has happened in the past. Since it has just shown up, I expect it's still being tested by internal staff. I wouldn't get excited until they make a major revision update such as a 10000 series or X000 series.

#3 ·
I know it doesn't sound like much...but I for one am excited to see what this new receiver has to offer.

It's been so long since Bell released a new receiver that I thought perhaps they were done with their satellite service.

I know it's a pipedream...but perhaps it'll be a "Hopper" style DVR (like Dish Network)...let the speculation begin...

#10 ·
Hey guys I am a bell tech in ontario. I can confirm a 9500 model being released in Quebec any day now and October 1st 2018 for ontario. Basically a 9400 with what I've heard is a solid state hard drive which is what accounts for most defective 9400 models. As well as a internal wofo adapter. Hard drive drive size will still be 1 tb. Rumor of 4-6 tuners like most American DVRs which would need a DPP system with separators x2 or x3 st receiver. I highly doubt that part though as we dint have the volume of consumers as they do in the states as well most canadians have maximum 2 lines to a room which would only accommodate 4 tuner with 2 separators. It also raises the install price x2 per pvr and in a 6 tuner situation x3. Along with requiring a 150 dollar dpp44 switch just to have a pvr.

#17 ·
9500s are in. They're going to utilize the dpp twin and until they replace 9400 and 6400 are replaced with 7500s tget will still use quads. It does not require dpp seperator. It does work off dpp 44 systems . The only difference is it requires a solo or duo hub on the line for 1 or 2 9500s. From those hubs there is a 7500s hub that only requires one line from the solo or duo hub that makes each 9500 work in unison with 2x 7500s. So if 1 9500 and 2 7500s are installed there is only 1 line from dish to solo hub. Then 1 line from it to 9500 and 1 line to the 7500s hub where each 7500 has a line from the 7500s feeder hub. It's actually better then the hopper. They removed the internet apps for now. But in near future we can use Netflix and other 3rd party apps with the 9500 and in future 7500s. The 7500s will not be released the first year and until then we will be using the system to run both dppZ and legacy receivers. Hope this helps guys. Sorry for the late response but we just got them a little bit ago. This is the future of canadian satelite. It will force shaw to revamp there system completely. It is 6 years in the making since we first heard rumors of a 9500. Its finally here. I'm posting this as not even bell has anything on line about it. And unfortunately I cant post the specs for install as pictures are to large. I will have them compressed and uploaded shortly.

#18 ·
Small update I forgot to add. It has an internal wifi adapter. With higher capacity then the current adapters. As well the remote unfortunately isnt blue tooth but is the almost the same model as the fibe remote. Just used IR still. It does not have uhf ability. Customers that hide receivers in custome cabinets or rooms will need to purchase this privately. An ir blaster transmitter system.

#28 ·
1 Tb of space, I dont think it an ssd, it an old mechanical hard drive.
Only 1 line from the dpp quad or twin, we connect that line on a ''Dish hybrid solo hub'' (Just google it to see what it look like)
After, we connect one line from the hub to the 9500.

Look like that, the ''hopper'' are the 9500 and the two ''joey'' are the 7500 (who will be release next years)

Dont know for the hdmi, but the 9500 are not 4k compatible so I think it hdmi 1.4. The receiver are capable of 1080p.